PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Route: South Carolina Southern End of AT

cheoee hiker
10-27-2008, 14:00
Has anyone studied, or better yet, undertaken a through hike of the AT with the possible alternate southern terminus provided by the bartram trail (which hits the AT at Wayah Bald and Cheoah Bald in NC) and the Foothills Trail (which hits the Bartram Trail at the Chattooga River Hwy 28 Bridge).

For a bit more info - The Foothills Trail is a wonderful 77 mile jaunt that starts at Table Rock in SC, meanders west through the fabulous Jocassee Gorges and meets the Chattooga River at the South Carolina border with Georgia. The trail is well maintained, offers spectacular hiking (rare plant species, undisturbed animal populations, ample waterfalls etc.) and is far less heavily traveled than the AT.

The Bartram Trail starts on where the Foothills Trail hits it at the Hwy 28 bridge at the Chattooga River and travels through beautiful parts of the GA and NC mountains before hitting the AT at Wayah, and then Cheoah Bald. I know less about this trail than the Foothills - but I do know that it is less heavily traveled than AT sections as well and offers similar hiking (but with more solitude) than the GA section and the southern NC portion of the AT.

Anyways, it is definately a possibility I am exploring. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this on or at least studied the feasibility. Let me know! Thanks...

The Solemates
10-27-2008, 14:28
actually you hike even further if you continue on to caesar's head and then into Jones Gap and then towards the church camp past hospital rock.

I've hiked this whole section (from Table Rock to the AT via the Foothills and the Bartram) over the course of several trips, but I have always wanted to "thru" from the church camp to the AT in one shot.

cheoee hiker
10-27-2008, 17:21
Glad to know that someone else out there has had the same thought. I know of the Caeser's head connection as well. From Ceaser's Head area all the way to the Chattooga River is great hiking, don't you agree? I've never experienced many folks on the trail either (except in the few places you pass through state parks).

What was your opinion of the Bartram trail in GA and NC? I have heard good things thus far, but have not yet hiked but a few day ventures.

In any case, I am seriously considering a through hike via the 'South Carolina Terminus' of the AT. I think this option provides for more diverse hiking, less crowds and a unique experience.

The Solemates
10-27-2008, 18:09
Glad to know that someone else out there has had the same thought. I know of the Caeser's head connection as well. From Ceaser's Head area all the way to the Chattooga River is great hiking, don't you agree? I've never experienced many folks on the trail either (except in the few places you pass through state parks).

What was your opinion of the Bartram trail in GA and NC? I have heard good things thus far, but have not yet hiked but a few day ventures.

In any case, I am seriously considering a through hike via the 'South Carolina Terminus' of the AT. I think this option provides for more diverse hiking, less crowds and a unique experience.

...not to mention you can truly say you are hiking home. or, you could just leave out of your door for a long walk. I've always wanted to do that...say "Im gonna go for a walk" and head out my back door for a long trip. someday I'll live close enough to a trail to do that. But if you live in Oconee Cty, you may be able to do just that.

the bartram in GA and NC is very nice and maybe even less crowded than the foothills. there is a 14 mi road walk near franklin in NC. its a nice road walk for about 10 miles or so down a country road, but after 4 miles or so I hitched. just watch out for dogs as you come out of the woods.

take-a-knee
10-27-2008, 18:52
It would be a cool hike to head north on the Bartram, pick up the AT and head south towards Springer, then take the Benton McKaye over to the Pinhoti. "The road/trail less traveled", for the most part.

Traction
07-07-2011, 10:46
Hey guys, I'm about to hit up the AT for my second thru. I live in Columbia, SC and am oddly fascinated by the idea of walking home. It looks like I can take the Bartram over to the Foothills Trail and then connect with the Palmetto Trail to head back to Columbia. I'd like to finish my AT hike on Springer, then connect over to the Bartram. Is anyone aware of a route to connect with the Bartram without backtracking on the AT? It sounds like the Bartram rolls through Franklin, so maybe at the least I could backtrack to Franklin, then hop on the Bartram there? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Bearpaw
07-07-2011, 13:33
Hey guys, I'm about to hit up the AT for my second thru. I live in Columbia, SC and am oddly fascinated by the idea of walking home. It looks like I can take the Bartram over to the Foothills Trail and then connect with the Palmetto Trail to head back to Columbia. I'd like to finish my AT hike on Springer, then connect over to the Bartram. Is anyone aware of a route to connect with the Bartram without backtracking on the AT? It sounds like the Bartram rolls through Franklin, so maybe at the least I could backtrack to Franklin, then hop on the Bartram there? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Once you get to Springer, take the Benton MacKaye Trail 190 or so miles north to where it crosses the AT near Shuckstack Firetower in the Smokies. Head 30 or so miles south on the AT to Cheoah Bald, 8 miles north of NOC, which is the northern terminus of the of the Bartram Trail. Hike the Bartram to its end, then walk the 3 or so miles of the Chatooga River Trail to where it joins the Foothills Trail and head on home.

10-K
07-07-2011, 13:46

You can do it.

When you get to Cheoah Bald on the AT, get on the Bartram Trail and hike it all he way to the southern terminus at Russel Bridge.

Cross the highway at Russell Bridge and get on the Foothills Trail connector and hike it to the Foothills Trail and make a right when you intersect the FHT.

Hike the FHT to Oconee State Park and then get on the Palmetto Trail (Oconee Passage segment) and off you go.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2011, 14:00
Yep, been planning (dreaming) a hike from Greenville's Swamp Rabbit (thanks to an oddball's post on here LOL) to Jone's Gap, to Foothills, to Bartram to AT to BMT to Mountain to Sea....I'll tell you the rest later.

:sun

10-K
07-07-2011, 14:06
Yep, been planning (dreaming) a hike from Greenville's Swamp Rabbit (thanks to an oddball's post on here LOL) to Jone's Gap, to Foothills, to Bartram to AT to BMT to Mountain to Sea....I'll tell you the rest later.

It'd be a good hike - I've hiked all of what you mentioned from where the MST exits GSMNP south to the Swamp Rabbit in Greenville. I was actually going to walk that a year or so ago but a big chunk was closed and I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Traction
07-07-2011, 16:54
Once you get to Springer, take the Benton MacKaye Trail 190 or so miles north to where it crosses the AT near Shuckstack Firetower in the Smokies. Head 30 or so miles south on the AT to Cheoah Bald, 8 miles north of NOC, which is the northern terminus of the of the Bartram Trail. Hike the Bartram to its end, then walk the 3 or so miles of the Chatooga River Trail to where it joins the Foothills Trail and head on home.

Oh, nice. I hadn't considered the Benton Mackaye. That would keep it fresh. Thanks for the info. This is going to be fun :D

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2011, 17:21
These trails all sound wonderful but I feel compelled to say that a thru-hike of the A.T. had better involve all of Georgia (including Springer Mt.) or it's difficult to see how it could be considered an A.T. thru-hike. Hikes with a "possible alternate southern terminus" may well be memorable and wonderful, but an A.T. thru-hike is a hike of the entire A.T. When one hikes alternate routes or trails, or when one starts or completes one's journey at an "alternate" or off-trail (i.e. off the A.T.) terminus, then it's hard to see how this could be considered a hike of the entire A.T. Side and alternate Trails are great, and I always check out side Trails, points of interest, etc. But while thru-hiking, I did this IN ADDITION to following the A.T. and not INSTEAD of hiking the A.T. I applaud anyone who's interested in these alternate or additional routes, but to suggest that in hiking these completely different Trails one is also hiking the A.T......well this simply isn't so. When you hike leave the Trail for a "possible alternate" route, you are no longer hiking the A.T.

The Solemates
07-09-2011, 20:08

not sure if you are talking about me, but i did mention that on another thread at some point....and i've been accused of being a little odd before :)

WingedMonkey
07-09-2011, 21:16
not sure if you are talking about me, but i did mention that on another thread at some point....and i've been accused of being a little odd before :)

Yeah, you put the bug in my mind. I hadn't thought of the Swamp Rabbit until you brought it up. I biked parts of it years ago when I was in that area doing genealogy research, and also camping/hiking at Jones Gap.

And I won't be doing it as part of an AT thru hike, but as a way to get off the AT. Maybe even connecting up to the Great Eastern Trail and going farther north.

I did my pure blaze to blaze AT hike in 1995 and I finished it all that year. I don't count my trips back on to it over the last 16 years as anything but hikes. I don't need to keep walking on the same path again and again.

ScottC
07-09-2011, 22:01
I met Peregrine on his thru earlier this year and he started his hike at Table Rock. I think he got a ride back to Springer once he reached the AT via Bartram. Not sure if he's still headed north. Has anyone seen him? He's a fellow Clemson alum.

Bearpaw
07-09-2011, 23:42
These trails all sound wonderful but I feel compelled to say that a thru-hike of the A.T. had better involve all of Georgia (including Springer Mt.) or it's difficult to see how it could be considered an A.T. thru-hike. Hikes with a "possible alternate southern terminus" may well be memorable and wonderful, but an A.T. thru-hike is a hike of the entire A.T. When one hikes alternate routes or trails, or when one starts or completes one's journey at an "alternate" or off-trail (i.e. off the A.T.) terminus, then it's hard to see how this could be considered a hike of the entire A.T. Side and alternate Trails are great, and I always check out side Trails, points of interest, etc. But while thru-hiking, I did this IN ADDITION to following the A.T. and not INSTEAD of hiking the A.T. I applaud anyone who's interested in these alternate or additional routes, but to suggest that in hiking these completely different Trails one is also hiking the A.T......well this simply isn't so. When you hike leave the Trail for a "possible alternate" route, you are no longer hiking the A.T.

I'd like to finish my AT hike on Springer, then connect over to the Bartram. Is anyone aware of a route to connect with the Bartram without backtracking on the AT?

Jack, you may have missed this part of Traction's request, now bold, italicized, underlined. The BMT allows him to finish the regular AT, then head north and add another 400-500 miles of trail to bring him home.

10-K
07-10-2011, 14:06
Jack, you may have missed this part of Traction's request, now bold, italicized, underlined. The BMT allows him to finish the regular AT, then head north and add another 400-500 miles of trail to bring him home.

My reply was to the OP that started the thread - I'm guessing BJ's was too....

... which was started over 3 years ago. I give up. :)

Mags
07-10-2011, 18:11
My reply was to the OP that started the thread - I'm guessing BJ's was too....

... which was started over 3 years ago. I give up. :)

Hopefully he's finished by now! :O

:)

Sly
07-10-2011, 18:26
These trails all sound wonderful but I feel compelled to say that a thru-hike of the A.T. had better involve all of Georgia (including Springer Mt.) or it's difficult to see how it could be considered an A.T. thru-hike. Hikes with a "possible alternate southern terminus" may well be memorable and wonderful, but an A.T. thru-hike is a hike of the entire A.T. When one hikes alternate routes or trails, or when one starts or completes one's journey at an "alternate" or off-trail (i.e. off the A.T.) terminus, then it's hard to see how this could be considered a hike of the entire A.T. Side and alternate Trails are great, and I always check out side Trails, points of interest, etc. But while thru-hiking, I did this IN ADDITION to followin..... blah, blah, blah.

There's that feisty attitude that gives purist a bad name. BFD if he doesn't complete the last 100 miles of the AT and ends a 2400 mile hike on the Carolina coast rather than Springer. So what if you don't want to call such an epic hike an AT thru-hike.

If he went back later and did the last 100-miles apart from his hike he'd still be a 2000-Miler sans "AT thru-hiking", but you and the other purist of your ilk would be out there calling him a liar and a fraud.

virgil
07-10-2011, 20:56
No one is calling anyone a liar or a fraud. But in fairness, the AT is the AT. It starts at Springer and ends at Katahdin. It's really that simple. You can hike all the side trails and alternative trails and connecting trails you want. The trails mentioned in the Posts are all fine, legitimate trails in their own right. They are just not the AT. It's not a purist argument. It's just a factual point that the AT the AT. Hike on.

Sly
07-10-2011, 21:23
No one is calling anyone a liar or a fraud. But in fairness, the AT is the AT. It starts at Springer and ends at Katahdin. It's really that simple. You can hike all the side trails and alternative trails and connecting trails you want. The trails mentioned in the Posts are all fine, legitimate trails in their own right. They are just not the AT. It's not a purist argument. It's just a factual point that the AT the AT. Hike on.

You haven't been around here long enough to witness the debate. Yes, I well aware of where the AT starts and ends.

Let's say someone hiked from Springer to Katahdin Stream and due to a strict deadline couldn't hike Katahdin and finish the trail because it was closed by weather. Would he not in your eyes be a "thru-hiker"? That's a purist debate.

10-K
07-10-2011, 21:30
You haven't been around here long enough to witness the debate. Yes, I well aware of where the AT starts and ends.

Let's say someone hiked from Spring to Katahdin Stream and due to a strict deadline couldn't hike Katahdin and finish the trail because it was closed by weather. Would he not in your eyes be a "thru-hiker"? That's a purist debate.

I would call it a thru and not care what anyone else thought.

SassyWindsor
07-10-2011, 21:38

I enjoyed hiking the FHT beginning at Table Rock in SC and on to Oconee SP, then backtracked to join the Chattooga/Bartram trail that would take me into Ga joining the AT in the Nantahala's of NC. I terminated my hike at NOC. I experienced a nice new trail and got to do some of the old familiar AT. I too believe to have hiked the AT you should at least begin and finish at the designated and recognized termini. Hike the AT first then do other trails nearby, I would like one day to do other trails joining the AT, the Long Trail, IAT, etc.

Sly
07-10-2011, 22:39
I would call it a thru and not care what anyone else thought.

I agree.

Another example, closer to the case at hand, say a sobo bails on the BMT and picks up the Pinhoti and walks to Key West, while his partner finishes at Springer. The way some of these guys make it sound like the guy that did the extra 1500 miles isn't a thru-hiker. It's ludicrous

WingedMonkey
07-10-2011, 22:54
I agree.

Another example, closer to the case at hand, say a sobo bails on the BMT and picks up the Pinhoti and walks to Key West, while his partner finishes at Springer. The way some of these guys make it sound like the guy that did the extra 1500 miles isn't a thru-hiker. It's ludicrous

The Florida Trail ends at Loop Road in Big Cypress. Walking to Key West is ludicrous.
Your Florida Trail Thru Hikers certificate will be revoked.

:banana

Montana
07-11-2011, 11:44

I guess that makes my 2008 hike just a really long section hike then, huh? I hiked the BMT north from Springer, and picked up the AT at Davenport Gap. I did this to a) avoid the crowds leaving Springer, b) to avoid rehiking a section of trail that I had hiked years earlier, and c) because I could. I found the BMT a rather pleasurable experience, and would recommend others follow the same route.

Although I have physically touched every mile of the AT, I don't understand how you can express this myopic mindset. By perpetuating the Wingfoot dogma, you are encouraging more and more users to stick to a single foot path rather than the network of trails that the visionaries of the AT had in mind. The level of use that the AT sees on a yearly basis, especially early spring in the South, is unsustainable. Although hiking has a rather low impact on the environment, I can point you to numerous places along the way that have been severely impacted by "us". Why not spread out a bit, take a break from the norm?

I know that my eventual thru of the CDT will be unique, and not some cookie cutter hike that thousands before me have done.

10-K
07-11-2011, 12:09
I guess that makes my 2008 hike just a really long section hike then, huh? I hiked the BMT north from Springer, and picked up the AT at Davenport Gap. I did this to a) avoid the crowds leaving Springer, b) to avoid rehiking a section of trail that I had hiked years earlier, and c) because I could. I found the BMT a rather pleasurable experience, and would recommend others follow the same route.

Now that I've hiked both I wouldn't consider any route but this one.

Although.... for a lot of new hikers leaving Springer who don't even have their gear dialed in I'd hesitate to send them up the BMT as it's a bit more unforgiving than the AT.

Love the BMT.... It's an awesome trail.

Montana
07-11-2011, 17:52
Now that I've hiked both I wouldn't consider any route but this one.

Although.... for a lot of new hikers leaving Springer who don't even have their gear dialed in I'd hesitate to send them up the BMT as it's a bit more unforgiving than the AT.

Love the BMT.... It's an awesome trail.

I wholly agree with you, the BMT is not for the faint of heart. I spent a lot of time all by myself, and the people I did meet were not used to seeing dirty hippy hikers, making hitch-hiking a bit more interesting, but I wouldn't trade that experience in for anything.

If I were to do another Southern Appalachia trip, I would probably look more closely at the Pinhoti and Bartram Trails, possibly even the Mountains to Sea Trail. Except for the local trails around Bozeman, I really don't like to do the same thing more than once, especially if there is a viable alternate route available.

ekeverette
07-11-2011, 19:20
wow! thats just way to much.

Mags
07-11-2011, 22:24
I wholly agree with you, the BMT is not for the faint of heart.

I loved my BMT trek, but that is some major hyperbole. :) It is trail where you have to pay a little more attention, have some basic map reading skills, actually use something other than a mouse infested shelter and be OK with truly hiking your own hike (rather than the people who you may fall in with (as can happen on the AT) ). Definitely have to be a little bit more of an individualist.

Faint of heart though????? :D

10-K
07-11-2011, 22:38
I loved my BMT trek, but that is some major hyperbole. :) It is trail where you have to pay a little more attention, have some basic map reading skills, actually use something other than a mouse infested shelter and be OK with truly hiking your own hike (rather than the people who you may fall in with (as can happen on the AT) ). Definitely have to be a little bit more of an individualist.

Crossing Slickrock Creek with water up to your waist isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

But I think the larger point is correct - the kind of hiker who typically stops at Neel's Gap to get suggestions for how to lighten their pack probably wouldn't do well on the BMT.

Mags
07-11-2011, 22:56
The fords on the PCT were like that, too, in some cases (Evolution Creek comes to mind). Heck, just in Lost Creek Wilderness on a weekend backpack, I've done stream fords up to my waist. Guess, I am saying, a waist high stream ford is challenging..but not overly so.

Granted, I am looking at from the viewpoint of a reasonably experienced backpacker. Definitely not a trail for a new-b hiker..but not an epic THERE BE DRAGONS trek that the phrase 'faint of heart' seems to imply.

Just an opinion anyway. :) Would not be the first, or last, time my opinion was wrong. ;)

Just hate to scare off people who may lose out on a great experience...

But, yeah..not a trail for a new hiker who quibbles over if following the blue blazes out of an AT shelter violates their thru-hike! (??!?!?!?) :D

10-K
07-11-2011, 23:06
The fords on the PCT were like that, too, in some cases (Evolution Creek comes to mind). Heck, just in Lost Creek Wilderness on a weekend backpack, I've done stream fords up to my waist. Guess, I am saying, a waist high stream ford is challenging..but not overly so.

Granted, I am looking at from the viewpoint of a reasonably experienced backpacker. Definitely not a trail for a new-b hiker..but not an epic THERE BE DRAGONS trek that the phrase 'faint of heart' seems to imply.

Just an opinion anyway. :) Would not be the first, or last, time my opinion was wrong. ;)

Just hate to scare off people who may lose out on a great experience...

But, yeah..not a trail for a new hiker who quibbles over if following the blue blazes out of an AT shelter violates their thru-hike! (??!?!?!?) :D

I'm pretty sure I saw a dragon at Cherrylog Gap... :)

I know the BMTA would like more people to hike the BMT and are trying to get people on it but I'd hate to see it get crowded. It was really cool to go over a week without seeing another hiker.

Montana
07-12-2011, 01:57

Okay, you got me, faint of heart was a little much. Now Evolution Creek, with a swarm of mosquito for that little something extra, that is not for the faint of heart. lol. Gorgeous valley though!

Montana
07-12-2011, 01:57

Okay, you got me, faint of heart was a little much. Now Evolution Creek, with a swarm of mosquito for that little something extra, that is not for the faint of heart. lol. Gorgeous valley though!

Berserker
07-18-2011, 17:09
I met Peregrine on his thru earlier this year and he started his hike at Table Rock. I think he got a ride back to Springer once he reached the AT via Bartram. Not sure if he's still headed north. Has anyone seen him? He's a fellow Clemson alum.
Yeah, ran into him at RPH shelter in NY on 7/11, and shot the crap with him for a while. We first started talking cause I saw the tiger paws all over his stuff. He did indeed start at Table Rock, but then went back and started at Springer. We ran into him multiple times over the next few days, and the last sighting was at Wiley shelter.