PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Super Stretch OPTIONS

2009ThruHiker
10-27-2008, 14:28
I'm looking for something to supplement my sleeping bag for the colder nights we expect at the beginning and end of our thru hike...currently we are using 30 degree bags. Departure is 4/3/08

I don't want whatever we use to hinder our ability to move around in the bag...and at the same time i don't want to buy a 15 degree bag due to finances.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Christopher Robin
10-27-2008, 15:35
You can use a fleece liner, it's the weight you need to be worried about. Backpack, sleeping bag,tent, and pad shouod noy weigh more then 10 pounds.

Wags
10-27-2008, 16:50
i don't have any personal experience w/ those bags in particular, but i assume throwing on your jacket it out of the question b/c the bags are designed to 'hug' you, which would eliminate the loft benefit.

how about expedition weight base layer, warm ass socks, and a good baclava?

buz
10-28-2008, 08:52
I am not sure of your question. I have a UL ss #2, and have plenty of room to add insulation to myself in the bag. But I am not big guy, 6' 170#. The standard choices would be more insulation on yourself, a liner of some sort, or a bivy sack. For me, I would look at personal insulation first, bivy second, and liner last, or never. I flip and flop, and a liner has never worked for me. If you are tarping/sheltering, a bivy could be a smart investment.

For clothing, I think the biggest warmth for the buck, so to speak, is a balaclava/warm hat, sleeping only socks, and torso/vest.

2009ThruHiker
10-28-2008, 09:38
I am not sure of your question. I have a UL ss #2, and have plenty of room to add insulation to myself in the bag. But I am not big guy, 6' 170#. The standard choices would be more insulation on yourself, a liner of some sort, or a bivy sack. For me, I would look at personal insulation first, bivy second, and liner last, or never. I flip and flop, and a liner has never worked for me. If you are tarping/sheltering, a bivy could be a smart investment.

For clothing, I think the biggest warmth for the buck, so to speak, is a balaclava/warm hat, sleeping only socks, and torso/vest.

thanks all for your responses so far.

Buzz: my question isn't very clear you are correct....but after these initial responses I can clean it up a bit...I'm trying to figure the best option to get our 30 degree bags into a safe zone for the colder front and end of our thru hike without having to switch bags... I will test the clothing out first...right here at home this winter. I don't sleep well in a lot of clothing though...so I'm hoping to know which Specific Products will add a good amount of warmth to the Bag without impeding super stretch movement.

For example, if I were to put a mummy liner in the super stretch bag, I will be confined inside of the bag...and our whole reason for getting these bags was to move around and be comfortable sleeping.

rp1790
10-28-2008, 09:57
I've been tossing and turning (pun intended) over this problem as well. I have a #2 (25 degree) UL bag from Montbell and would not want anything to compromise the stretchy bits. Adding a liner would constrict me and catch on my legs etc whenever I moved during the night.

I like the 25 degree bag, it unzips enough so you can sleep with it over you in summer. What I have been looking at as an extra winter layer is one of these ex army poncho liners. Had one briefly in the Army and seem to remember them being quite light and I'm guessing they would add at least 10-15 deg warmth (at least) with the added advantage of being able to wrap it over your legs while at the campfire, cooking etc.

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Type-Camouflage-Poncho-Liner/dp/B000HP2C8Q/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IHTZVKFTU9XB7&colid=23ETMWKRLGX3W

Lyle
10-28-2008, 09:58
I have a rectangular silk liner that I sometimes use. I don't find it particularly confining. A bit of a pain to get into and out of, but not all that bad. I think it adds about 5* or warmth, not bad for 5oz of weight and bulk like a rain cover. They are kinda pricey tho'. Maybe take an old sheet and stitch it into a bag. You can then test it out to see if it's an acceptable option before laying down the bucks. One added advantage of a liner - it's easier to wash than your bag.

Fleece works well for sleeping, plus it makes a great pillow when not being worn and you can wear it while hiking if need be.

I have a real light REI Primaloft jacket with a hood the works real well inside a sleeping bag - not too bulky. The hood is very comfortable and it adds substantially to the warmth without having to completely seal the bag up around your face - I've done it, but usually find sealing the sleeping bag is pretty confining.

Might also consider one of the ultralight bivy's. I hiked with a couple thru-hikers las May that were sold on the benefits. Adds about 10* warmth, keeps your bag clean, some shelter for cowboy camping. Some of these are pretty light. Here's one, 6.5oz and $60 - not bad. No personal experience, so not an endorsement:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bivydetail.cfm/EQ3000

Of course, don't forget about adding extra ground insulation. This will add a lot more warmth to your bag than anything else. An extra cheap blue pad for during the cold times, used in conjuction with whatever your normally plan to carry will help tremendously. I usually like to have one full length and one 3/4 or even just torso length.

Good luck, have fun.

rusty075
10-28-2008, 11:57
I've used my SS #4 on nights down into the teens by sleeping in midweight baselayer top and pants, socks, and hat, and then drapping my insulated jacket over the top of the bag. I usually have to reposition the jacket a couple of after I roll over and it slides off, but at least I stay plenty warm. And since the clothes and jacket were ounces I would have been packing anyway, the extra warmth was essentially "weightless".

Also, don't forget about what's below you. Adding even a thin layer of foam below your usual sleeping pad can really help on those trips where you're expecting cold nights. And it only adds a few ounces to your pack.

hammock engineer
10-28-2008, 15:30
I have a ss #2 bag. I used it for the last couple months southbound last year. I really like it. They are not the lightest option. But they have the extra space inside I like. I used it after I lost all my body fat. I got cold, and still do, very easily. On the nights below 30 I would put a down quilt I made (has about 3.5 inches of loft) inside the ss bag. It had enough room and did not seem to compress either too much. That got me well below zero a few nights.

Look into cheap sleeping bags and consider double bagging. You want the bag with the most loft on the outside. The bag on the inside is going to lose some of it's loft from the bag outside.

I put together directions on hammockforums.net for turning a sleeping bag into a top quilt if you don't mind sewing and want to save the weight.

This would also be a good reason to get a nice summer bag and double bag them this way.

Also make sure you have enough insulation below. I used the Big Agnus Dual core inflatable. It seemed to work to close to 15. Below that I added a torso length closed cell foam pad. I plastic ground sheet on the shelter floors also works wonders to keep the wind from coming up through the floor, it also helps keep your gear clean.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I'm horrible about rechecking threads.

2009ThruHiker
10-29-2008, 09:13
thanks all. I decided on a silk weight bag liner that is supposed to add 10 degrees to the bag. I may use it with the 5 degree warm up sheet that came with the bag if necessary. I hope this will cover us in the coldest temps...i'll test in VA this winter to be sure.