PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Car Camping Gear

max patch
10-27-2008, 14:44
I need to upgrade some of our car camping gear.

Anyone ever evaluate the pros and cons of white gas versus propane for use in the Coleman stove and Coleman lantern?

JimM
10-27-2008, 16:03
If you have the room to transport a bulk propane tank, and have a Coleman (or equivalent) "tree" connector, both light and stove can be connected very simply. Coleman fuel seems to work better when there is snow on the ground. I also have an adaptor for my Coleman fuel stove that allows me to use propane (either cylinder or bulk tank). The propane stove packs smaller than the white gas model, but both have been bullet proof for me over the years.
Jim

NICKTHEGREEK
10-27-2008, 16:14
ScoutshHad both types, coleman and century 2 burners and lanterns. The propane was the go-to fuel from what I saw. The liquid fuel lantern only got taken by mistake, the gas stoves seemed to leak in cars constantly.

Peaks
10-27-2008, 16:20
Well, I'd say that the difference is the obvious one. Many people don't like handling liquid fuel. It's just easier (and probably safer) to screw on a canister.

Summit
10-27-2008, 16:24
But the liquid fuel makes a fast fire starter! Try that with a canister! :)

Pootz
10-27-2008, 16:26
Your car will definitely smell better if you use propane. The down side I see with propane is cost and dealing with half empty canisters.

2XL
10-27-2008, 17:00
I use a Coleman 425d white gas stove that is 3 years older than me and a propane grill and lantern. I have the part to convert the stove to propane, but it doesn't burn as hot as the white gas.
I like having the propane lantern for finishing off almost empty propane tanks I use for the grill.
I have never had my car smell like fuel from the stove, but I have had propane tanks that leaked and smelled up the car.

Toolshed
10-27-2008, 17:07
I have both as a result of Coleman Pro-deals and the death of an outdoorsman uncle-in-law.

Here is where I stand. I love using the White Gas/Reg Unleaded Gas because I love to fiddle with things - I like to know what fuel have left and I like the options to refill.

I don't like using WG/RUG around the kids though.

I really like the ease of propane (LP). Especially on cold mornings - Keep the bottle connected and light it and boil! No priming, no refilling, no pumping.

This weekend while car camping I brought my WG gear and was annoyed at the constant pumping of the lantern and the stove while cooking that seemed to keep interrupting a couple of great hours of conversation. Ordinarily though I don't find it a bother.

There is a wee bit more maintenance on WG items than LP due to the the pump seals, but the maintenance in itself is almost negligible.
So the big factors are the geek factor (do you like to fiddle) and then the
the cost of fuel in the long run.
LP gear is cheaper up front but costs more per hour to operate over WG/RUG

max patch
10-27-2008, 17:28
What is the difference in performance between the two types?

Cost is a non issue as we car camp maybe twice a year.

mudhead
10-27-2008, 17:38
Cabela's sells all the propane hoses and tree to hook to a large tank. A propane lantern will use a 1lb cannister in one hour at full blast. I prefer the hiss of a WG lantern, but either ruins my night sight. The plastic case is worth the $. Have used a rechargeable fluorescent with OK results, many moons ago.

Coleman stuff has changed of late, so be sure to put your hands on it. I would rather buy a used propane stove, in good shape, than the new version.

2XL
10-27-2008, 17:48
What are you using now?

max patch
10-27-2008, 18:09
White gas, but the lantern just died hence my question.

2XL
10-27-2008, 18:13
Not to be difficult, but why not rebuild?

This site can be helpful
http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech.htm

JumpInTheLake
10-27-2008, 18:33
I started with white gas, went to propane, and now I'm back to white gas. I'm using a Coleman dual fuel two burner stove. It's got a great wind screen, and it turns down real low to simmer or scramble eggs. I can refill it, and carry extra fuel inside the stove in a MSR bottle.

I'll never go back.

For lanterns I almost never use a mantle lantern. I like the Dietz Jupiter wick lantern. It holds a 72 hour supply of kerosene, it has a huge stable base, and it doesn't wreck your night vision. If I need more light I flip on the headlight.

I don't like to maintain a stock of propane cylinders. They are wasteful, and I rarely ever used one completely.

Bob S
10-27-2008, 18:34
I like white gas stuff, (My Sveas are great stoves) but I don’t buy any Coleman white gas items any more. I got tired of replacing generators that clog up every few years. I know someone will post that their stuff never clogged up, but all one has to do is to go to any well equipped outdoor store to see Coleman generators for sale. If they did not clog up on a large number of people, every Wal-Mart and major outdoor store would not have generators for sale.

I now use a Coleman propane 2-burner stove (bought it for $1.50 at a garage sale) and a few off brand propane lanterns that work great.

To lower the price of propane I bought a refill adaptor from Harbor Freight Tools for $13.00. It allows me to refill the one-pound cylinders from a larger 20 or 30-pound tank. This has worked out very well for me because my brother brings his propane cylinders over to fill (along with his 30-pound tank) and for doing the work of filling his cylinders he says to go ahead and fill my cylinders from his 30-pound tank. I get free propane, but it’s not a big deal as I only go through 4 or 5 of them a year. But free is free.

Bob S
10-27-2008, 18:41
I still have a Coleman 2-mantle lantern that gets some use. But I bought 3 generators for it a few years ago and I will use it till the last generator is clogged up and then toss the lantern.

I also have 2 Coleman Excursion (Exponent line) lanterns that run on Coleman’s PowerMax fuel. They work great, but they are smaller lanterns (2 ½ -inches round and 7-inches tall.) They are probably marked as backpacking lanterns, but to me they seem too heavy for that. I just like the smaller size and lower output then the big lanterns.

dla
10-27-2008, 20:26
I need to upgrade some of our car camping gear.

Anyone ever evaluate the pros and cons of white gas versus propane for use in the Coleman stove and Coleman lantern?

Propane is easier if you don't camp in the cold. White gas is hotter, runs longer, cheaper fuel, and will work sub-zero.

I've used both over the years.

Toolshed
10-27-2008, 22:05
What is the difference in performance between the two types?

Cost is a non issue as we car camp maybe twice a year.
WG/RUG burns hotter.

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 22:30
But the liquid fuel makes a fast fire starter! Try that with a canister! :)
Take the cannister and birch bark...both are easier and safer.

geek

max patch
10-27-2008, 23:00
Not to be difficult, but why not rebuild?

This site can be helpful
http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech.htm

Thats a nice site, thanks.

buz
10-28-2008, 09:06
We use WG and propane in our scout troop stuff. WG lanterns are by far brighter than our pp ones. Propane hard to beat on the stoves. Hate the neoprene pump washers on the WG stoves. They SUCK in colder weather. Leather ones better by a mile. Wish they were still available.

WG in the lanterns seems very fuel efficient, but don't really care about that. Never had a problem with any generator set, stove or lantern with WG versions.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-28-2008, 16:18
Propane is easier if you don't camp in the cold. White gas is hotter, runs longer, cheaper fuel, and will work sub-zero.

I've used both over the years.
Propane works great in the cold. Butane and isobutane don't

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2008, 16:32
Your car will definitely smell better if you use propane. The down side I see with propane is cost and dealing with half empty canisters.

I can still refill them, its not that hard.

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2008, 16:36
We use WG and propane in our scout troop stuff. WG lanterns are by far brighter than our pp ones. Propane hard to beat on the stoves. Hate the neoprene pump washers on the WG stoves. They SUCK in colder weather. Leather ones better by a mile. Wish they were still available.

WG in the lanterns seems very fuel efficient, but don't really care about that. Never had a problem with any generator set, stove or lantern with WG versions.

My understanding from my days at Troup 78 white gas was dropped by the council and is not allowed on scout activities anymore, don't hold me too it. If the Propane colemans arn't bright enough two things to do go to a longer or larger mantle get a frosted glass from the web site. OR switch to the better NorthStar - they are awsome and if ordered through Walmart include a soft bag!

Mags
10-28-2008, 16:54
Why not do both?

I have a coleman dual burner stove that uses whitegas. However, I bought this converter so it runs on propane, too.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86801

Pretty sure you can get it at Wally World even cheaper...

Even the small propane tanks are refillable (with a converter).

White gas is less expensive but propane is so much easier to use. I still like having the option of using whitegas if need be, though.

max patch
10-28-2008, 17:11
Why not do both?

Before I asked the question I didn't know doing both was a possibility...thanks for the link, thats a nifty gizmo. Didn't know that existed!

Mags
10-28-2008, 17:13
Before I asked the question I didn't know doing both was a possibility...thanks for the link, thats a nifty gizmo. Didn't know that existed!

I hear you. I stumbled upon it myself one day. Never knew it existed. I already had the white gas stove as a gift. Then I found this little device. For less than $20, gives some nice options! I have used it a fair amount w/ no issues.

dla
10-29-2008, 00:17
Propane works great in the cold. Butane and isobutane don't

Wrong.

Bob S
10-29-2008, 00:30
Wrong.

Wrong how???

I use my propane grill in the winter and it works well. I also use to have a butane backpacking stove that worked poorly in the winter unless I slept with it in my sleeping bag.

I mostly use my Svea for winter outdoor cooking and it works great. I also have a stove and lanterns that run on Coleman Powermax fuel, all of them work well in the winter. But they are a propane / butane mix that Coleman came up with to solve the poor performance of butane in the winter for backpackers. Backpackers don’t use Propane because of the weight of the metal canisters, or at least I don’t. Powermax fuel is in a light weight canister.

Hikes in Rain
10-29-2008, 06:40
That's the key with butane, keeping it warm. Doesn't work well below 42* without it. Propane works at much lower temps.

I've done the sleeping with the stove idea, too, and keep rolling over on it.

brotheral
10-29-2008, 08:11
I use a texsport 2 burner propane stove that was given to me. It's easy to set up and takes up less space than white gas stoves. Also got it free. I had to replace the gas valve. Texsport customer service was great. Sent me one for free in a few days:sun !!! I have a dual fuel Coleman lantern... If I fill it before leaving home, I'm good for a week easy. We don't stay up late and we use our LED :sun head-lamps around camp...

dla
10-29-2008, 22:38
Wrong how???

I use my propane grill in the winter and it works well. I also use to have a butane backpacking stove that worked poorly in the winter unless I slept with it in my sleeping bag.

I mostly use my Svea for winter outdoor cooking and it works great. I also have a stove and lanterns that run on Coleman Powermax fuel, all of them work well in the winter. But they are a propane / butane mix that Coleman came up with to solve the poor performance of butane in the winter for backpackers. Backpackers don’t use Propane because of the weight of the metal canisters, or at least I don’t. Powermax fuel is in a light weight canister.

Well unless they are mixing Butane in those heavy steel 1lb cannisters, propane sucks in the cold. I know that the fuel itself should stay vapor to very cold, but actual performance hasn't been very good. Maybe it is the built-in regulation system, whatever, but when the cannister's get cold, forget about cooking/lighting.

I've never had a temperature cold enough where the Coleman 425 two-burner white gas stove wouldn't work (and I think the new polymer pump cups are better than the older leather). I may not like pumping the thing, but it works.

Like I said, propane is by far the better way to go if you are warm weather camping. But white gas (or even alcohol) is better in the cold.

Bob S
10-29-2008, 22:52
Well unless they are mixing Butane in those heavy steel 1lb cannisters, propane sucks in the cold. I know that the fuel itself should stay vapor to very cold, but actual performance hasn't been very good. Maybe it is the built-in regulation system, whatever, but when the cannister's get cold, forget about cooking/lighting.

I've never had a temperature cold enough where the Coleman 425 two-burner white gas stove wouldn't work (and I think the new polymer pump cups are better than the older leather). I may not like pumping the thing, but it works.

Like I said, propane is by far the better way to go if you are warm weather camping. But white gas (or even alcohol) is better in the cold.

You have propane and butane mixed up. Propane works well when it’s cold, butane doesn’t.

Alcohol better then propane in the cold??????? Don’t think so:-?….

dla
10-30-2008, 01:56
You have propane and butane mixed up. Propane works well when it’s cold, butane doesn’t.

Alcohol better then propane in the cold??????? Don’t think so:-?….

My point is that the 1lb "propane" cannisters sold at WallyWorld don't work when cold. They say "propane", but maybe they're a mix. I've had to dig out my gas lantern to take over from fading propane lanterns when the temps dip.

And yes, alcohol is better. Always lights, always burns. I've frozen a Trangia burner in a block of ice and it worked. http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/index.html

Mags
10-30-2008, 14:59
So the moral of the story:

1) Get the whitegas stove for cold condtions
2) Buy the less than $20 converter for convenience and ease of use with propane cylinders
3) The sky is not really blue. Discuss and debate. :P

Alligator
10-30-2008, 15:09
I had a dual fuel lantern that I used to run on premium unleaded, but it clogged up. I tried fixing it to no avail. My recommendation for light is to switch to an LED lantern. I have one that plug recharges and you can hand crank it. It'll work as a flashlight as well. It's adequate to play cards by, not as bright as a propane or gas. No more fooling with mantles though. It's a lot smaller too.

I've still got my two burner stove and white gas is fine in there.

JAK
10-30-2008, 15:39
Kelly Kettles are also good for car camping. :D

JAK
10-30-2008, 15:41
What's the best stove for car camping if you want to grill a steak?

dla
10-30-2008, 15:50
The Coleman Duel Fuel lantern is my favorite when it is cold and I'm sitting around talking to friends. Put the lantern between my feet and the warmth is nice. Light source and outdoor heater. Warms up an outhouse too, but I worry about the CO concentration so I don't bring a book :)

But it is noisy.

I had a smaller Coleman lantern that would eat a generator a season with regular gas - I don't remember the model. I haven't had that problem with the larger Duel Fuel - going on 15 years now.

Mrs Baggins
10-30-2008, 16:28
We also use a dual fuel two burner Coleman stove after nearly 30 years of using a propane one (same stove for all those years - little sucker just refused to wear out!). My husband does most of the cooking when we camp and he really likes the dual fuel stove. We used it all the way from Maryland to Alaska and back last year - 3 months. (We also bought a pop up trailer after we left Alaska, with a 3 burner stove that runs on propane, but we prefer to cook outdoors and not stink the trailer up with food smells as long as the weather allows.) As for a lantern I'm sure somewhere back in the day we had a propane one but now we use a Coleman lantern that has a light bulb in it - the kind that is like two tubes and gets really bright. Just turn it on and turn it off and it offers plenty of light. Much easier to carry it around at night if need be.

Bob S
10-30-2008, 18:59
The Coleman Duel Fuel lantern is my favorite when it is cold. Warms up an outhouse too.

Taking a lantern that has an open flame into an outhouse that probably is off-gassing methane gas. :eek:

No thanks, I’ll use a flashlight…

Mrs Baggins
10-30-2008, 19:31
I usually use my headlamp for those midnight wees, but you could use our lantern with no danger of blowing up the privy.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-31-2008, 06:05

Try reading this, then try again http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm