PDA

View Full Version : Feelings about starting and other stuff

tucker0104
10-27-2008, 15:25
Who is nervous? Who is scared? Who is excited? Who has already hiked some of the trail? How many miles are you planning on doing the first day? Who thinks that they are going to have foot problems?

gaga
10-27-2008, 15:39
like this song says: Don't worry 'bout a thing, don't worry 'bout it!
Life gets sticky, life can bruise
Sometimes you win sometimes your losing
No matter what it brings
Don't worry 'bout a thing,except when you go on a wild goose chase in search of water and you find 0 H2O that will be your only worry,,,oooh and watch for THE hungry hungry HIPPOS! i mean bears

Quoddy
10-27-2008, 16:00
"Always in the big woods when you leave familiar ground and step off alone into a new place there will be along with feelings of curiosity and excitement, a little nagging dread. It is the ancient fear of the unknown and it is your first bond with the wilderness you are going into. What you are doing is exploring. You are undertaking the first experience, not of the place, but of yourself in that place. It is an experience of essential aloneness; for nobody can discover the world for anyone else. It is only after we have discovered it for ourselves that it becomes a common ground and bond, and we cease to be alone.” -Wendell Berry-

buz
10-28-2008, 08:42
Very nice quote Quoddy, thanks for posting it.

2009ThruHiker
10-28-2008, 12:46
Who is nervous? Who is scared? Who is excited? Who has already hiked some of the trail? How many miles are you planning on doing the first day? Who thinks that they are going to have foot problems?

Nervous? Nah, not me. Not yet anyway. Maybe as my ride is taking me to the trailhead....but always mixed with other emotions.

Scared? Of what? The AT is statistically safer than your own living room when it comes to violent crime..of not finishing? It's the journey, not the destination....at least this is the reassurance I give myself. It would suck to tell everyone you are going and bow out after a week, but I'm not scared of it. I refuse to be.

Excited? OH YEAH! I can't take my mind off of it.

1st Day Mileage...8-10, no approach trail...but plan on limiting the 8-10 if my wife or I decide to stop before then. The Wimp Always Wins is a great saying if you are hiking with a partner...so if either one of us wants to stop for the day, we're done. This is wise advice from Mom & Windtalker.

Foot Problems...I sure hope not. So far on shakedown hikes it's one knee that's a bit buggery, but the feet for my wife and I are doing fine so far!

Ok now I'm even more excited talking about all this...156 days...:banana

corialice81
10-29-2008, 08:34
I get excited when I think about it...then excitement turns to restlessness because I want to be out there NOW.

I attempted two thru hikes this year a NOBO and SOBO. I had unexpected severe foot problems on my NOBO. My SOBO was wonderful...I just came off for other reasons.

With that said, I don't feel as naive going into my 2009 NOBO. My gear is good, my feet are good, and I know what to expect (which is not to expect anything...just go with the flow).

Anyhow, I am very much looking forward to meeting new people and making lasting friendships.

smaaax
10-29-2008, 15:15
Its simple, get up and walk. Thats all there is to it, nothing to be nervous about.

Grumpy
10-29-2008, 17:53

Not nervous, just antsy waiting to go...

Scared, please... even if I were I wouldn't admit it. Though after 20 years in service and the past 7 fighting the war I feel pretty safe heading out on the AT. I am assuming AQ isn't hiding in the mountain laurel...

Excited... definitely!

I took my wife out last weekend for a few nights (her first) and it was wonderful. She isn't coming with but now she knows what my time will be like.

First day miles, same as every other day... walk until I feel like stopping. The miles will take care of themselves, I am just not focused on numbers.

Feb 22nd...

Blissful
10-29-2008, 19:52
Oh, I remember these feelings well!!

Nerves can happen. I had it big time! Just take it one day at a time. Don't do too much early on. HYOH and don't worrry about what others are doing. And you have the stop at Neels Gap and WInton at Mountain Crossings to help with gear issues and get rid of useless ounces.

For feet - Make sure you keep your feet aired and your insoles dry and take several pairs of socks to switch with, drying out your older pair on your pack. And wear crocs at camp.

adventurousmtnlvr
10-29-2008, 23:05
I'm excited about finally going. I have many foot problems currently but trying to get to a point where I can hike in pain rather than barely walking down the hall, lol. But it won't stop me. I am a tenatious one. So personally ... I can't wait. I have yet to hike the AT but have hiked in several countries and many States :)

bigboots
11-01-2008, 18:30
I'm excited that I only have 17 YES 17 more weeks of work left before I head out! I now understand Springer Fever (altough I imagine it will get worse as the months ahead pass.

On a sad note, only 9 more pay checks will be earned before I go. Oh well.

Bare Bear
11-04-2008, 14:49
Sectioned once, thru hiked once..........
It is always about the people you meet and your own attitude. Nothing else matters. Accept that there will be rain, there will be mountains that kick your butt then it fogs in at the top so you don't get paid with a view, accept some gear will go bad at the worst possible time, you will meet some jackass that really pisses you off, but mostly it is quiet, and wonderful, and go as far each day as you feel like then stop and enjoy the stop just like you enjoyed the hike and the views.
And yes your feet will give you problems. Take your shoes OFF on a break longer than 15 minutes, get the camp crocs on immediately at camp unless going for water (I met a kid that stepped on a copperhead that wished he still had his boots on) and air those feet out. It was the best single advice I ever got.
I hope to meet more of the WB family as you pass the slower older guy (that would be me). If I had listened to Model T in 06 I wouldn't have to go do this again.

KG4FAM
11-04-2008, 15:11
If I had listened to Model T in 06 I wouldn't have to go do this again.I heard his advice back in 06 as well. A fellow named Muddyshoes asked him while we were at Hawk Mtn in Georgia what one piece of advice he could give was and he said: "listen to your body." That is the best advice I have heard on the trail.

Bare Bear
11-04-2008, 15:16
Actually the advice that Modet T and Ranger Dawg gave me was to "Slow down and enjoy it." I must have been pretty hyper then trying to catch up to a trail friend after going home for five days for my daughters college graduation. I did 30 + miles that next day and ruined my feet, stress fractures and it was agony to finish the rest of the Trail.

bigboots
12-01-2008, 20:14
Yea! Just booked a flight to Atlanta on 3/2/09 for $40 and sent the reservation in for the Hiker Hostel!:banana Anyone else planning on staying there the night of 3/2?

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 23:20
It is snowing in Atlanta today :)

rec4healing
12-03-2008, 01:00
Just bought my ticket for Atlanta!!!!

catfishrivers
12-03-2008, 01:36
I'm excited that I only have 17 YES 17 more weeks of work left before I head out! I now understand Springer Fever (altough I imagine it will get worse as the months ahead pass.

On a sad note, only 9 more pay checks will be earned before I go. Oh well.

Hah, same scenario here!

I'm excited but currently I am stuck on trying to figure out whether I want/can bring my dog Dingo. He's my shadow and is definitely physically able and has the right temperament (we hiked together every day this year, missing only a few severe weather days spring-summer-fall) but I am not sure I can afford to kennel him/have him transported at the points where such is required. I might just have him for a middle portion of the trail, somewhere near NJ that I can convince my bro to drive out to first drop off and then pick up my mongrel again...but I haven't made any deals with my brother yet, so I still might go sans hound the whole way...I just feel so guilty about leaving him behind, because he loves hiking with me so much, and 6 months in dog years is like 3.5 years...that's like abandonment...still wrestling with this...

My other worry is whether I will save up enough money because the company I work for seems to be tottering on the brink of laying the accounting department off...which I am part of. So I got my fingers crossed on this account...if not I plan to sell off a bunch of my music equipment.

Other than those 2 concerns, I am excited and eager.

Jorel
12-03-2008, 18:43
I am nervous my job (from which I "retired" Jan 1) will freaking keep me here past April 1st....otherwise, really excited and enjoying talking with my son who thru'd in 2006. He likes to tell me how I am going to screw everything up. I reply: "Yeah, just like I screwed up raising you....". Life is good.

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 18:48
I am nervous my job (from which I "retired" Jan 1) will freaking keep me here past April 1st....otherwise, really excited and enjoying talking with my son who thru'd in 2006. He likes to tell me how I am going to screw everything up. I reply: "Yeah, just like I screwed up raising you....". Life is good.
What is your son's trail name?

tucker0104
12-03-2008, 19:08
I just got a puppy and feel really guilty about leaving him. He is only going to be 4 months old when I start hiking so I really don't think I should bring him

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 19:10
I just got a puppy and feel really guilty about leaving him. He is only going to be 4 months old when I start hiking so I really don't think I should bring himWhy did you get him then? Definitely too young for the trail.

catfishrivers
12-03-2008, 21:41
I just got a puppy and feel really guilty about leaving him. He is only going to be 4 months old when I start hiking so I really don't think I should bring him

Yeah well hopefully being a puppy still he's able to withstand the separation and still enjoy being a dog with whoever is watching him. 4 months is definitely too young. My dog's 8 and in prime athletic condition and he would definitely notice that I am gone. He stares out the window with sad eyes whenever I am gone for just a couple hours is what my brother tells me...but either way, I am going, and either way it'll be fine.

tucker0104
12-05-2008, 16:09
I am probably just going to get out there for a couple weeks. I feel bad leaving him. I will section hike the AT and then thru hike the PCT when I retire or change careers.

RadioFreq
12-05-2008, 16:49
Yea! Just booked a flight to Atlanta on 3/2/09 for $40 and sent the reservation in for the Hiker Hostel!:banana Anyone else planning on staying there the night of 3/2?

I'm staying there the night of 3/1 and leaving the morning of 3/2......try to catch up. :D

Devon
12-09-2008, 17:38
I'll be the first to admit it on this thread - I'm scared.

Psyched? Absolutely. Desperate to start? Totally. Enjoying the planning? It's hard to remember life before I was seized by gear obsession and shakedown hikes :-)

But I'm still scared.

Scared of bears, snakes and any other creature that could end my hike or my life.
Scared of encountering a psycho and bad things happening to me.
Scared of getting hurt and being far away from help.

I know these scenarios are hugely unlikely, but they do play on my mind sometimes. Nothing is going to stop me from hitting the trail. However, occasionally, in the wee small hours, I get scared that the trail may hit back.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2008, 17:41
But I'm still scared.

Scared of bears, snakes and any other creature that could end my hike or my life.
in the wee small hours, I get scared that the trail may hit back.

bring a gun

Devon
12-09-2008, 19:02
Then I'd be a nervous person with no firearms experience whatsoever wandering about the woods with a loaded gun. Which is an even scarier thought :-)

Blissful
12-09-2008, 20:07
But I'm still scared.

I know these scenarios are hugely unlikely, but they do play on my mind sometimes. Nothing is going to stop me from hitting the trail. However, occasionally, in the wee small hours, I get scared that the trail may hit back.

Being nervous is normal. But letting it paralyze you is not. You have to take the trail as it comes. But as far as animals or psychos ruining it for you, you are far more likely to face an injury that could stop you. Be sure to have a cell phone, maps, and use common sense. Don't camp near roads, watch when you cross roads, hitch with others, and don't give strangers your itinerary.

wikea1
12-23-2008, 22:02
im totally nervous if i stumble upon a sasquatch

buckwheat
12-24-2008, 00:01
im totally nervous if i stumble upon a sasquatch

How could you possibly be scared of this:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/images/dvd/harryandthehendersons.jpg

double d
12-24-2008, 00:38
As the old saying goes, just do it. We all live like the Big C aint gonna get us, well it does, or maybe Heart Disease aint gonna get us, well it does, or...maybe your luck runs out while walking your dog when some dumb a-- swigging on a beer doesn't see you while driving their car. We all have friends and family members who didn't make it to their first Social Security check, so have fun and remember why and how Earl Shaffer found his way.

Wise Old Owl
12-24-2008, 00:46
Can't wait till April
Excited!

Tuna
12-31-2008, 22:48
I've just booked my plane ticket - hurray for the British Airways January Sale - made my reservation at the Hiker Hostel and only have a couple of small pieces of gear left to buy.

It's really happening! In less than ten weeks I'm going to be in the U.S and on the trail. Haven't felt this hyped for something since I got my uni acceptence letter :-)

Can't wait, just can't wait to get out there and discover for myself what the AT is really like.

joshua5878
01-01-2009, 11:31
Bought my traveler checks yesterday, setting up auto bill pays etc... Lot of planning! Should have done this when I was 20!!

It did feel good waking today and being able to say now that I am thru hiking this year as opposed to next year!!!

rp1790
01-01-2009, 11:44
Bought my traveler checks yesterday, setting up auto bill pays etc... Lot of planning! Should have done this when I was 20!!

Just curious, why travellers checks as opposed to just using your debit/credit card? Is all your money for the trip going to be in them and wouldn't it be harder to cash them at some of the smalller places?

joshua5878
01-01-2009, 13:46
Yes, it will be more difficult, I will have to seek out banks alot. Personal reasons why I am doing it that way.

Slo-go'en
01-01-2009, 14:50
Just curious, why travellers checks as opposed to just using your debit/credit card? Is all your money for the trip going to be in them and wouldn't it be harder to cash them at some of the smalller places?

I used to always use travellers checks, no problem anywhere. Then two years ago I carried them and found that they have gone out of favor. At many places where I tried to spend them, the conversation would go something like this: " Whats that? It looks like a check and we don't take checks" Its just like a 20 dollar bill but better, you just can't give it out as change. "Oh okay, but we don't take checks". Errr!

The National bank of Erwin didn't even want to convert a travellers check to cash for me. Something about me not having an account there. After arguing with the bank manager for 20 minutes he finally agreed to convert it, but for a $2.00 fee per check. Errr. Post office won't take a travellers check unless its at least 50 % of the bill.

Then I got a debit card and life was much easier after that. No one questions plastic these days. I understand you can now get a travellers check card, which is in essence a pre-paid debit card, which would be the better way to go.

joshua5878
01-01-2009, 15:21
I used to always use travellers checks, no problem anywhere. Then two years ago I carried them and found that they have gone out of favor. At many places where I tried to spend them, the conversation would go something like this: " Whats that? It looks like a check and we don't take checks" Its just like a 20 dollar bill but better, you just can't give it out as change. "Oh okay, but we don't take checks". Errr!

The National bank of Erwin didn't even want to convert a travellers check to cash for me. Something about me not having an account there. After arguing with the bank manager for 20 minutes he finally agreed to convert it, but for a $2.00 fee per check. Errr. Post office won't take a travellers check unless its at least 50 % of the bill.

Then I got a debit card and life was much easier after that. No one questions plastic these days. I understand you can now get a travellers check card, which is in essence a pre-paid debit card, which would be the better way to go.

Do you know where to get them? Hopefully Visa/MC. Nobody likes AMEX anymore, there merchant fees are horrible.

Slo-go'en
01-01-2009, 15:38
Do you know where to get them? Hopefully Visa/MC. Nobody likes AMEX anymore, there merchant fees are horrible.

Debit card or AE check card? If you have a checking acount, the debit card is easy to get, mine is through MC via my bank and can be used for online shopping - the main reason I got it since I don't do credit cards. American Express check card, any bank which sells the travellers checks should also offer the plastic kind.

KG4FAM
01-01-2009, 17:59
http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/gift_prepaid/issuers.html

Monkeywrench
01-01-2009, 19:03
It did feel good waking today and being able to say now that I am thru hiking this year as opposed to next year!!!

One of the first things I said this morning was "2009, the year of the hike!"

mindi
01-06-2009, 21:49
A little late to this thread maybe, but what the heck.

I'm very excited! Also a little nervous. I was planning on starting the trail with someone else who had already gone SOBO, and now I'll be hiking solo, so there's a lot more I'm going to have to figure out on my own.
I hiked NOBO in 2007 and got as far as Virginia before I ran out of money.
Foot problems? I'm sure I'll have them. I started out fine in '07, and then for some reason got blisters after I'd already hiked about 500 miles. Busted open, bleeding, the whole thing. I also lost a toenail and got some kind of nasty cramp in the bottom of my foot. It all passed, though.
Probably won't be doing much in the way of miles starting out, since I've gotten out of shape and starting in Maine is going to be a lot more strenuous than starting in Georgia. I've never been too concerned with miles anyway, though.

Desert Reprobate
01-06-2009, 21:59
Post offices take debit cards and will give a cash back.

Crawl
01-06-2009, 22:09
I have butterflies.... can't help but have them! I have done my job though and researched it to death, so I shouldn't have any major surprises... minor ones make it fun! Excited seems to be too lame of a word......for what I am feeling!....Crawl

Mikiniki
01-06-2009, 22:19
I have my first official case of the jitters.....

I'm not really scared, I know that anything I encounter on the trail (from wind and cold to a bear standing over me) will be an experience and I know that if I start this thing I will finish it....I'm all about the trail, I think of it at work, dream at night and plan/prepare for it every day and at this point it seems like there is nothing in this world that could possibly keep me from going to the trail. I'm just worried that something will come up that will kepp me from it. I have a possible love interest that just recently showed up.....but I'm going to have to suck it up and leave that interest behinde for a few months.....I'll just have to love the trail more.

Nervous, OH yeah, Out of all the people that I know that plan on doing the A.T....I'm the first one to attempt it. But I'll hike my own hike and what ever happens...happens. I'm more nervous of looking like a complete idiot when I don't know how to do something that I should : )

solo29
01-06-2009, 22:37
all you have to do is sprinkle some salt on his tail

Tudor
01-06-2009, 22:57
Hiked from Katahdin to Monson in '04 before a major ankle sprain ended my trip. In '06 attempted SOBO again and made it to Gorham, NH before my luck ran out again. ID theft from an on-line purchase getting one last thing for my hike less than a month before I hit the Trail. Wouldn't have made it that far if it were not for some MAJOR trail magic, indeed. Should make for a great experience on this year's NOBO. I will CRAWL if I have to to thru this year.

Maine is simple, the little of NH I did was just as easy, so I'm sure the southern parts won't be an issues for me.

jeremy 931
03-14-2009, 20:57
yea dood, im super stressed but really excited at the same time. im not very nervous and know ill do fine. just try to relax and go with the flow.

superman
03-14-2009, 21:27
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/9/6/7/get_a_grip.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24312&original=1&c=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=3967&cutoffdate=-1)

Vagrant Squirrel
03-18-2009, 20:26
I'm planning to go the first week of April. I've been planning this trip in such a short amount of time that it's starting to become a bit overwhelming.
I'm not nervous about the trail per se, but nervous about just finishing everything I need to be able to go and get there. It'll all work itself out, but it's still a bit nerve wracking.

My biggest fear about being on the trail is sleeping... I'm used to spreading out, tossing and turning, etc... I've got a solo tent and a mummy bag, so getting used to sleeping in a very confined space is probably going to be the hardest mental and physical challenge of the entire trail for me. It just sort of freaks me out.

Hiker Chris
03-24-2009, 13:05
For the last 2 weeks I've really been feeling the excitment to start, and I still have 30 days left before I leave damn.....