PDA

View Full Version : Its that favorite time of year...break out that winter gear

Tennessee Viking
10-27-2008, 17:17
Well if you want to come to the South, remember to back warm.

The high for Holston Mtn today (Oct 27th) was at freezing. Some of the valleys were just a few degrees warmer, but with some strong winds it feels colder than it really is.

Flurries are predicted for the higher elevations, so you all out of the trail you might be able to see some white mountain tops.

Chenango
10-27-2008, 17:19
Expecting snow in central NY tonight.

Tipi Walter
10-27-2008, 18:08
My best backpacking buddy Johnny B lives in Mountain City and I called him yesterday and he said there's supposed to be snow today/tomorrow in his area. C'mon! What kind of friend would say such a thing and not send some of it down my way?? Oh well, I'll be heading out soon to hit the high ground down here in southeast TN and if I'm lucky I'll get some spitting, of the white crystals, that is. Last April 29 I was at 5000 feet and saw snow, so anything's possible.

The last big October snowfall I saw was in Boone NC around 1996-97, right at Halloween in fact, and I remember cuz I tried to ride my motorcycle out of town back to my tipi and got caught in snow banks and icey roads so I turned around and set up camp in Beckola and Bill's back yard, my usual in-town camp. I digress.

When I first moved to the NC mountains in '73, we were regularly tormented by deep snow and deep cold, heck, one week in January 1985 it dipped to -28 degrees. That's minus 28. And every year we had snowstorms to talk about and to backpack thru. I don't know how many times I trudged thru deep snow either going up to my camps at the Swamp Sites or hoofing into Lost Valley in deep snow, where the pristine Snaketooth Creek became the trail.

And let's not forget the Blizzard of '93 when it hit fast in mid-March on a Friday and by Saturday the winds came and thousands of square miles went back in time about 10,000 years. No cars. No jets. No electricity. Of course, I was in a 40 poled tipi off the grid and w/o running water so I had nothing to worry about. I saw everything a stone age Indian would've seen except for the woolly mammoths.

Tipi Walter
10-27-2008, 18:10
Uh, my point is . . . or was . . . that the winters have changed drastically since the 1970s and '80s. Having a drought in the 3 seasons means much less snow in the fourth, sob. Will we ever get our winters back here in the Southeast?

Blissful
10-27-2008, 20:07
I wonder if we will finally get some snow around here - ? We're overdue for a footer sometime.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2008, 20:10
i been here 8 years and haven't seen a real winter yet. real winter is northern vermont

Blissful
10-27-2008, 20:13
I remember when I first moved here 20 yrs ago from NY and we had 2 two-foot snows in a week - paralyzed everything. I also recall when PB was 4 yrs old we had several huge snows. And a March blizzard. But not much since. Just some 6-8 inches here and there.

Feral Bill
10-27-2008, 21:12
Cold, wishful thinking.

weary
10-27-2008, 21:20
i been here 8 years and haven't seen a real winter yet. real winter is northern vermont
Wrong!!! Real winter is northern Maine.

Tennessee Viking
10-27-2008, 21:34
What was the wooly worm prediction?

mountain squid
10-28-2008, 09:28
It's snowing now...think I'll go for a hike...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Chenango
10-28-2008, 09:37
I was out walking in the snow this morning. I live in central NY about halfway between Syracuse and Binghamton. We have two inches already and are expecting another 2-4 by the end of the day .... and I do not have my snow tires on yet! I live up a very steep hill, but school is in session so I suppose the roads will be plowed this afternoon. Syracuse is expecting even more snow once the lake effect kicks in on the back side of this storm.

I just love walking in snow. I am am psyched to get out there!

Chenango
10-28-2008, 10:00
My wife was taking "first snow" pictures to send to our kids at college in Greenville, SC. I just could not resist posing after I got out of the shower. Close your eyes!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/4/4/8/100_5249.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28900&original=1&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=15448&cutoffdate=-1)

Homer&Marje
10-28-2008, 10:08
Colder the better... I would love a good blizzard this year. Last good one I saw was Blizzard of 94 up in upstate New York. 4' of snow in the fingerlakes region in 24 hours. chaos ensued:D

Roots
10-28-2008, 10:12
Uh, my point is . . . or was . . . that the winters have changed drastically since the 1970s and '80s. Having a drought in the 3 seasons means much less snow in the fourth, sob. Will we ever get our winters back here in the Southeast?

You are exactly right, Tipi. My bday is the 3rd of Jan and every year as a child I can remember there was always snow. I lived in SC then. The older I got the warmer it has gotten. About 5 years ago I celebrated my bday at Lake Norman since it was 70+ degrees that day.

bigcranky
10-28-2008, 10:13
My wife was taking "first snow" pictures to send to our kids at college in Greenville, SC. I just could not resist posing after I got out of the shower. Close your eyes!]

I...I...I'm blind!

clicker
10-28-2008, 16:11
First snow for michigan is predicted tonight! Can't wait to get out the snowshoes and x-country skis! Plus both our 4wheel drives are in good working order this year. Should make for some fun!

boarstone
10-28-2008, 16:40
here in my neck of the woods it's predicted to go down to freezing w/snow...the second of this season so far...right now I have 55deg. outside...hhmmm...maybe in the higher elevations, Whitecap, Chairback range...big K:rolleyes:

Mags
10-28-2008, 16:51
There is snow in the high country...but not enough to backcountry ski yet.

Getting my wax ready though!

Macallister Vagabond
10-28-2008, 16:58
I hope it is disgustingly cold and snowy here in New England. The solitude and magic of a big winter climb is second to none.

Mrs Baggins
10-28-2008, 17:06
Chenango..............thank goodness I have a nice bourbon and soda by my side........or I'd have to go fix myself a drink..................:eek:

I've heard many times that we are in for a very bad, very cold winter. Weather comes in cycles and it's about time for a blizzard type year. We have freeze warnings tonight here in west central South Carolina. I was here this time last year and wearing shorts and t-shirts. Personally, I thought I'd be glad to be away from snow and all that after living in Denver, Maryland, and Montreal............I miss it very much. Grew up in eastern California in the Sierra foothills and it was always a part of my childhood. Guess that runs deeper than I thought. After all, how do you really appreciate the wonders and warmth of Spring and Summer if it never really becomes winter??

Lone Wolf
10-28-2008, 17:11
it's damn near november. y'all act like a little snow and cold is unusual :-?

mudhead
10-28-2008, 17:27
I hope it is disgustingly cold and snowy here in New England. The solitude and magic of a big winter climb is second to none.

I saw some sleet, and we have had a killing frost. Enough for me. Is it Spring yet?

Mrs Baggins
10-28-2008, 18:30
it's damn near november. y'all act like a little snow and cold is unusual :-?

I'm with you LW. "oh my! it's cold! must be global warming!" Spare me.

JERMM
10-28-2008, 18:50
You are exactly right, Tipi. My bday is the 3rd of Jan and every year as a child I can remember there was always snow. I lived in SC then. The older I got the warmer it has gotten. About 5 years ago I celebrated my bday at Lake Norman since it was 70+ degrees that day.

Roots if you would stop having B-days everything would get back to normal and we can celebrate winter again. ;)

Macallister Vagabond
10-28-2008, 18:54
I saw some sleet, and we have had a killing frost. Enough for me. Is it Spring yet?

I was already up on Adams with 80 MPH winds and blinding snow. Haha, I loved it. Different strokes for different folks.

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v350/101/110/500061693/n500061693_1451348_9554.jpg

Jim Adams
10-28-2008, 18:59
My best backpacking buddy Johnny B lives in Mountain City and I called him yesterday and he said there's supposed to be snow today/tomorrow in his area. C'mon! What kind of friend would say such a thing and not send some of it down my way?? Oh well, I'll be heading out soon to hit the high ground down here in southeast TN and if I'm lucky I'll get some spitting, of the white crystals, that is. Last April 29 I was at 5000 feet and saw snow, so anything's possible.

The last big October snowfall I saw was in Boone NC around 1996-97, right at Halloween in fact, and I remember cuz I tried to ride my motorcycle out of town back to my tipi and got caught in snow banks and icey roads so I turned around and set up camp in Beckola and Bill's back yard, my usual in-town camp. I digress.

When I first moved to the NC mountains in '73, we were regularly tormented by deep snow and deep cold, heck, one week in January 1985 it dipped to -28 degrees. That's minus 28. And every year we had snowstorms to talk about and to backpack thru. I don't know how many times I trudged thru deep snow either going up to my camps at the Swamp Sites or hoofing into Lost Valley in deep snow, where the pristine Snaketooth Creek became the trail.

And let's not forget the Blizzard of '93 when it hit fast in mid-March on a Friday and by Saturday the winds came and thousands of square miles went back in time about 10,000 years. No cars. No jets. No electricity. Of course, I was in a 40 poled tipi off the grid and w/o running water so I had nothing to worry about. I saw everything a stone age Indian would've seen except for the woolly mammoths.

TW,
That just rocks! I love winter backpacking.

geek

Homer&Marje
10-28-2008, 19:10

I like the way you think. I haven't even turned my heat on yet. Not cold till it drops at least into the 20's consistently, and then it's still down right nice.

Blissful
10-28-2008, 19:30
Some interesting pictures anyway in this thread.

Mags
10-28-2008, 19:48
I was already up on Adams with 80 MPH winds and blinding snow. Haha, I loved it. Different strokes for different folks.

I drink hot chocolate in the winter....

Homer&Marje
10-28-2008, 21:35
Cold. SNP in March was cold. 15 F and 50 mph winds. I think I have a good pic detailing that.

Winter hiking is a great reason for carrying Nalgene bottles.

A. If they freeze, close proximity to a fire or a stove will defrost them.

B. Boil your water at night fill up your nalgene and keep it in your bag. That way, it does not freeze in which no need for step A and it is wonderful to keep in the small of your back when the winds come on through the valley.

As a note. We were freezing in that picture, notice the crinkles in the tent wall from wind gusts:D LOVE IT!!!!!

Mags
10-28-2008, 21:43
As a note. We were freezing in that picture, notice the crinkles in the tent wall from wind gusts:D LOVE IT!!!!!

Besides drinking hot chocolate, I also bake pies in the winter.

Homer&Marje
10-29-2008, 07:16

Bring a few nips of bourbon you could have your self a hot tottie and pie:D

JAK
10-29-2008, 07:36
You're a fine figure of a man Chenango.
Your wife has done well to hold on to such a fine specimen.

Homer&Marje
10-29-2008, 08:53
Oh yeah, Chenango, don't feel bad. Growing up I had a hot tub on my back porch... we used to run out of that thing...some times with suites on and do snow angels in the winter time... would still do it:D

"Your only young once. But you can be immature forever" -I forget

mudhead
10-29-2008, 09:23

So there I was, twisted up on a blue pad, deep in my reflective moment, when I heard this spoken in a droll monotone. Burst out laughing.

That went over well.

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-29-2008, 09:48
Yesterday in Tobyhanna, Northeastern PA received 16" of snow, yes I said 16". That towns just Northwest of the DWG, "git' out your snow shoes kids". Some place north of that in NY reported 20+", ewh wee.

sheepdog
10-29-2008, 10:43
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/img_71142_thumb.jpg
We got our first snow that stuck today. My puppy Blaze liked his first run in it. We had a great winter last year. Lots of snow, I am hoping for another one this year.

JAK
10-29-2008, 11:29
I'm hoping for lots of snow cover along the coast without too many thaws.
I don't mind shovelling if it means I can go cross country skiing.

Jim Obermeyer
10-29-2008, 11:35

In 1982 or 83 I remember the temps dropped to 20 below and stayed that way for about a week. It was worse then N. Vermont because nobody new how to handle it. Everybody was rushing around trying to buy a kerosene heaters, but they couldn't buy any kerosene because the power was out. Aside from a few major snowstorms we had in the 90's the winters have been pretty mild.

Chenango
10-29-2008, 11:37
Oh yeah, Chenango, don't feel bad. Growing up I had a hot tub on my back porch... we used to run out of that thing...some times with suites on and do snow angels in the winter time... would still do it:D

"Your only young once. But you can be immature forever" -I forget

Immature forever ... possibly? Childlike fun forever. :banana I like that plan.

BTW, we had 7 in of snow last night in central NY. I did wear more than a towel while running the snowblower this morning!! ha! ha!

bigcranky
10-29-2008, 17:46
Just checked the Smokies weather. In the 24 hour period ending this morning, at Mt Leconte, the HIGH was 18 degrees. The low was 12.

Chilly. Looking forward to hiking up that way in a couple of weeks.

wrongway_08
10-29-2008, 18:46
I am looking for a really cold one! We havent had a decent winter for a while down in maryland. Would be nice to need ice traction on the shoes to go hiking!

Mags
10-29-2008, 19:17
Bring a few nips of bourbon you could have your self a hot tottie and pie:D

How about stuffed french toast and eggs?

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16663&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

Though the essentials do help....

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12948&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

Burst out laughing.

That went over well.

That made me laugh.. :)

No snow yet in the skyline of Boulder:
http://www.dickgilbert.com/boulder-mcguckincam.htm

But we are getting up there in the mountains:
http://www.dickgilbert.com/colocam-estes5.htm

Homer&Marje
10-29-2008, 19:25
Truly a scholar and a gentleman Mags. I tend to think of myself at least one of the two. :D

Wild Turkey 101 has a bigger bite. Can truck a bigger load.... Easier:rolleyes:

NewEnglandMiles86
10-29-2008, 21:38
im hoping for really cold and tons of snow its been to long since theres been a proper winter. Though my familys house in new jersey got a foot yesterday so thats a good start

Lugnut
10-29-2008, 23:43
I hate winter. If it never snows again it will be too soon for me! :mad:

Homer&Marje
10-30-2008, 07:06
I hate winter. If it never snows again it will be too soon for me! :mad:

Well with that attitude Winter will never get along with you either:D Just think, when you get cold you can always put more layers on. In the summer time when you get hot, there is only so many layers you can take off, and you are still hot.

I would love it to be 20 F every day of the year vs. 90 F one day of the year.

nitewalker
10-30-2008, 07:56

i cant forget this storm. i wasnt on the trail but i was in the hospital watching my daughter enter this world. spent the whole storm there because the roads were impassable here in ct...tipi, thanks for the quick reminder..... had flurries here yesterday, 15 seconds worth..

peace , nitewalker

woodsy
10-30-2008, 10:04
I voted moderate/same after researching the NWS winter weather outlook 2008-2009 (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/2008/Winter0809Outlook/index.php)
They are calling neutral climate conditions, believe it, or not.