PDA

View Full Version : monadnock-sunapee-greenway trail

lorac
03-26-2004, 00:33
I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail. Has anyone else thru-hiked this trail? I was originally planning to spend 4 days on the Monadnock Metacomet Trail, but it seems like it would be very difficult due to mud, mud, mud, and oh yeah... no shelters or designated campsights! Now not that I'm not expecting to tromp through the mud on the MSGT, but there are 2 or 3 lean-to's and some established campsites, so at least I'm not camping out in a graveyard. Does anyone have any other 4-5 day trails semi-nearby (within 1 + 1/2 hrs) the coast in NE? Preferable in MA, RI, Southern NH... I think ME will still be cold and muddy at this time of the year.
see you on the trail!

okpik
03-26-2004, 07:11
I live in Dedham. I have been interested in this area for a few months now.
Let me know if you want a partner to do it with. I don't really want to solo it.

EM me if you want.

celt
03-26-2004, 07:21
I don't know a lot about it but check out the 92 mile long Midstate Trail ( www.midstatetrail.org ) in Massachusetts. It starts in Rhode Island and ends just shy of the New Hampshire Stateline. You could then continue another 21 miles into NH on the Wapack Trail: www.wapack.org. I've hiked this trail as a day hike and its beautiful; It had more ridge-top views than I ever expected.

I've heard good things about the Mondadnock-Sunapee Greenway, too bad its only 50 miles long. You could do a Yo-Yo hike to stretch out the hike and then you wouldn't have to worry about spotting, hitching or bussing back to your car.

For fun check out Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway http://www.srkg.com/. This is a 75 loop that could be combined with the MS Greenway (and thus the Metacomet Monadnock Trail) to make a trail of almost 300 miles. The S-R-K doesn't meet your need now because it doesn't allow camping on the trail but the maintainers are working towards establishing sites in the future.

dje97001
03-26-2004, 09:19
I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock? (I realize it isn't a very big one--practically ran up it when I was 6; but it is still great fun and would be a nice "destination" to look forward to reaching). I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.

Frosty
03-26-2004, 09:55
I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock?
The Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway runs from Mt Monadnock to Mt Sunapee.

I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.
Wapack Trail runs from Rte 119 in Ashburnham MA (near the end of the Mid-State Trail) to Old Mountain Road jsut north of North Pack Monadnock Mtn.

The Wapack Trail doesn't connect to the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, but it does connect to the Mid-State Trail, which in turn connects to RI's North-SOuth Trail, making it possible to hike from North Pack to Long Island Sound.

The Monadnock SUnapee Greenway connects to the Metacomet Monadnock Trail, which runs down over the excellent Holyoke Range and down into Connecticut.

DebW
03-26-2004, 10:00
I've done parts of the MId-State as day hikes. There are a few shelters, but not necessarily spaced properly. It's really in an overly-civilized part of the state, so you cross lots of roads and feel like you're hiking through people's back yards. Finding reasonable out-of-the-way places to camp every night could be a problem.

Frosty
03-26-2004, 10:07
I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail.

Does anyone have any other 4-5 day trails semi-nearby (within 1 + 1/2 hrs) the coast in NE? Preferable in MA, RI, Southern NH... I think ME will still be cold and muddy at this time of the year.
see you on the trail!
ME will be muddy or snow-covered, for sure.

The Monadnock-Sunapee Trail is on 50 miles, a nice three day hike with shelters as you say.

The MId-State Trail is 92 miles, and has some shelters and campsites.

The NOrth-SOuth Trail is abut 75 miles, would need to tent.

The Warner Trail runs about 33 miles from Canton MA to CUmberland RI. I recently hiked most of this. It's a nice trail. No shelters but plenty of woods to camp in.

The Bay Circuit Trail runs a couple hundred miles from Plum Island MA to Kingston MA in a wide loop around Boston. There is a "hole" around Lowell. There are some road walks, but with a couple exceptions, they are pleasant ones. No shelters.

If you are interested in backpacking the Greenway, Mid-State Trail, or Norht South Trail, now or this summer, let me know with a PM. In April it would be easier for me to hike mid-week than on weekends. This summer I might hike from SUnapee to the Ocean via Wapack, Mid-State and North-South Trails.

Sleepy the Arab
03-26-2004, 11:17
I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock? (I realize it isn't a very big one--practically ran up it when I was 6; but it is still great fun and would be a nice "destination" to look forward to reaching). I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.

On Monadnock the trail runs concurrantly with the Dublin Trail.

The southern half of the trail is really quite wonderful (as to why I never did the northern half, that is another story). It made me think of the Appalachian Trail the way Earl Schaffer described it in Walking with Spring, that is, it follows many abandoned roads, wanders though and old town or two, and a residential neighborhood. It was extremely buggy when I hiked, and I did use DEET, something I never used on the AT.

celt
03-26-2004, 14:09

Just to avoid a possibly confusing situation: the quote above, which was also quoted by Sleepy in his post, is a question about The Wapack Trail. The Wapack does not go over Mt Monadnock on The Dublin Trail. The Wapack starts near Mt Watatic in Ashburnham Mass, traverses various peaks and ridges including Pratt, Temple, Pack Monadnock and it ends on the semi-remote North Pack Monadnock in Greenfield New Hampshire. For those who know where Mount Monadnock is The Wapack is east of its summit and can be seen from many places along its tread way. All the trails mentioned in this thread offer great hiking opportunities with a wide variety terrain and levels of human intrusion.

dallyllama
03-26-2004, 15:36
I just finished a short hike on the Mid-state trail from Leominster State Forest north to somewhere near Route 2, about six miles round trip. A long section of it was secluded and quiet although parts of it were near roads and houses. I did not see any campsites or shelters on the part I hiked, last summer I hiked from Leominster State Forest south to Mt. Wachusett. I found the area to be quiet and well-maintained. One thing about the trail being near civilization....you could practice your town stop-over techniques as well as your long distance skills. Not exactly wilderness, but some nice views from Crow Ledges in Leominster State Forest and Mt. Wachusett. All in all a nice stretch of the legs./

Frosty
04-01-2004, 14:17
I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail.

Did you ever do this hike? I'm thinking about doing it (the MSG) end-to-end the week after next. Start Monday (Apr 12), do it in three or four days (two or three nights). Would like a partner if only to spot a vehicle at each end.

If you're interested (or anyone else is), send me an email [email protected]

An April 18 (Sunday) start is also possible, but the 12th is preferable.

Chef2000
04-01-2004, 15:35
I tried the Metacomet-Monadnock trail in 2002. I started at southern end. Could not find actual terminus so picked it up on rte57. I took a nasty dive fording the westfield river, so I ended my trip. It doesnt seem like a LDH trail to me, more for day hikes.

I also Hike on the Midstate trail in Leominster/ wachusett Area.

You could always try what Im doing, on the 12th of htis month. hiking on the AT North from around Race mt to North Adams, This is a good 85 miles. But be prepared for some blowdowns and a very wet trail.

Chickety
04-02-2004, 19:22
I have/had plans to hike from Monadnock to Rte 9 on the MSGT on Monday (5th) but after the recent downpours, I'm rethinking it due to the crossing of the Eliza Adams gorge! No need to be swept away.

I've hiked from Rte 9 to Washington and was just going to piece the sections together. I may just wait now and hike it all at once, that was my original plan anyway.

Have fun if you go, the rivers should be under control by next week!

celt
04-02-2004, 21:38
I have a long weekend this month (22nd - 25th) and am going to hike the MSGW. Does anyone know if there is bus service in Peterborough or any other town near Mt Monadnock?

lorac
04-02-2004, 23:29
An April 18 (Sunday) start is also possible, but the 12th is preferable.
I may just see you up at Monadnock around the 12th... if you're starting there. I'm going to get the guide book from Toadstool Bookstore tomorrow morning I think, and then I'll get back to you. It would be nice to be able to leave my car at one end if I can get a ride back to the other end in exchange for giving you a ride or something. Not sure exactly how many days the MSG trail will take though, and if I can spare enough to do the whole thing. I am leaving for Georgia pretty soon (still undecided on which day yet- prolly the 19th) and need a few days after the MSG trail to finalize all plans. Were you thinking so-bo or no-bo? I'm not sure how people go about this one. Ending with the summit of Monadnock would be nice, but either way would be great I'm sure.
Anyways thanks to everyone else out there for your replies, they were all very helpful.
See you on the trail!

Frosty
04-04-2004, 16:16
I may just see you up at Monadnock around the 12th... if you're starting there. I'm going to get the guide book from Toadstool Bookstore tomorrow morning I think, and then I'll get back to you. It would be nice to be able to leave my car at one end if I can get a ride back to the other end in exchange for giving you a ride or something. Not sure exactly how many days the MSG trail will take though, and if I can spare enough to do the whole thing. I am leaving for Georgia pretty soon (still undecided on which day yet- prolly the 19th) and need a few days after the MSG trail to finalize all plans. Were you thinking so-bo or no-bo? I'm not sure how people go about this one. Ending with the summit of Monadnock would be nice, but either way would be great I'm sure.
Anyways thanks to everyone else out there for your replies, they were all very helpful.
See you on the trail!

Lorac,

Tried to sent you a PM but I think I messed it up.

Anyway, I have the guide book/map and am planning a "thruhike" of MSG to start Sunday April 11, probably a bit late in the afternoon.

My exact schedule depends on whether I hike alone or with someone (and can spot a car), but I'll be working that out in a bit, and should be able to post an itinerary this evening or tomorrow.

Due to logistics, if I hike alone it will have to be southbound. I guess that's my pref anyway, as I'd like to end on Monadnock.

Frosty

Frosty
04-06-2004, 22:24
Okay, it took a couple of days, but I changed things around a bit. I'm going to hike north from Monadnock to Sunapee.

My schedule:

Leave Sunday afternoon. Camp night #1 at the Spiltor tent site, only a few miles from Monadnock. It is the only legal campsite in the first couple of sections. I'm not averse to setting up a tent on State Park land utilizing LNT methods, but most of the MSG is on private land. In order to keep the trail open, I'll try not to camp on private land. Getting lost and having to camp elsewhere is always a possibility, but I'll deal with that if and when.

Night #2 will be at the Crider Shelter, about twelve miles from Spiltor.

Night #3 will be the Washington Shelter. I'm told it is only a short jaunt into the town of Washington where burgers can be had. I also believe the Greenway goes though Washington, so the next morning, I can have coffee.

Then the last day it's a long haul out to Sunapee and my truck.

Except for the last day, not very big days mileage-wise, but that's okay. It's a shakedown hike for me and some new gear, plus I want some time to try this journaling thing (have a trailjournal account), and maybe write a mystery story while I'm out there. I bought an AlphaSmart keyboard on eBay and am dying to try it out.

Forecast is for rain which should make the hike interesting. Probably won't be cold enough for snow, just the usual New Hampshire spring weather: 33 degrees and rain.

celt
04-07-2004, 05:28
Then the last day it's a long haul out to Sunapee and my truck.

Frosty

where in Sunapee is a good place to leave a truck for a few days ?

Frosty
04-07-2004, 06:54
Frosty

where in Sunapee is a good place to leave a truck for a few days ?
Good question. Celt. Wish I had a good answer.

I'm going to leave it at the Summit Trail trailhead (the ski resrot parking lot).

One of the best feelings of any hike is the sight of your vehicle, still in the parking lot.

Chickety
04-07-2004, 19:41
Hiked from Monadnock to Nelson Rd today, took a few pictures (because I remembered this thread....and the fact that you will be there soon)

Dublin Tr. was quite treacherous with a daypack, but we took it slow.

http://community.webshots.com/user/michelle12113

Frosty
04-07-2004, 22:16
Hiked from Monadnock to Nelson Rd today, took a few pictures (because I remembered this thread....and the fact that you will be there soon)

Nice photos. Thanks for the shot of Spiltor. That's my first night's stop.

How long did it take you to go up and down Dublin Trail?

Frosty

Chickety
04-08-2004, 06:24
We actually hiked up the Marlboro Tr. and then took the Dublin down (as not to have to back track anywhere)

The trip down Dublin to Old Troy Rd took us 1.5 hours (and we were going slow because of all that ICE)
From the summit to the campsite was about 3.5 hours

campsite - Nelson Rd was 1.5 hours (with lots of picture taking and stopping at the Gorge, which was beautiful) The gorge is very close to the campsite and it's not steep at all to get there (like the guide book says)

FYI - Last year it took us 3 hours to get from Rte 9 to Pitcher Mtn, from there it was less than 5 hours to the town of Washington

We will be back out there on Monday....maybe we'll cross paths! Planning to pick up where we left off on Nelson Rd - Rte 9 and then who knows!

Have fun!

Frosty
04-08-2004, 07:13
The trip down Dublin to Old Troy Rd took us 1.5 hours (and we were going slow because of all that ICE)
From the summit to the campsite was about 3.5 hours

campsite - Nelson Rd was 1.5 hours (with lots of picture taking and stopping at the Gorge, which was beautiful) The gorge is very close to the campsite and it's not steep at all to get there (like the guide book says)

FYI - Last year it took us 3 hours to get from Rte 9 to Pitcher Mtn, from there it was less than 5 hours to the town of Washington

We will be back out there on Monday....maybe we'll cross paths! Planning to pick up where we left off on Nelson Rd - Rte 9 and then who knows!
Thanks for the info. I know I won't be able to leave until Sunday afternoon, but I'll try to start as early as possible so as not to set up camp in the dark.

My plan is to take it slowly, stop at Spiltor, Crider Shelter, and Washington Shelter, but if it's that quick to Washington, I'll probably keep walking and skip Crider.

If you start from 9 and hike north, you'll probably pass me (unless you start early and get on the tgrail before I do). I'll be at Spiltor Monday night.

Hope to see you on the trail!

Tom (who will be the tall, bearded guy stumbling along, map in hand and quizzical look on face)

lorac
04-14-2004, 16:18
Well we made it over Grand Monadnock anyways.

Monday night my boyfriend and I camped out at Monadnock state park. We had inteded to start the MSG, no-bo, that day, but that morning was quite busy with finalizing plans for our trip to Springer next Sunday, so we decided to begin hiking on Tuesday morning.
Tuesday morning was quite wet and a little chilly, so we waited until 10:30 or so to begin the ascent of Grand Monadnock via the White Dot trail. It was drizzly and very foggy. About 1/4 of the way up we started noticing all of this ice on the ground. Many of the trees were covered in ice on their leaves and it was off and on hailing. A big chunk of ice hit me right in the back of my head and I accused my boyfriend of throwing ice at me until another one hit my in the head again just as I was saying "yes you did!!!!"
This was my first hike at Grand Monadnock and when we finally reached the halfway sign we were a little discouraged. We kept thinking for sure that the top was within sight. Especially after we passed the EXTREMELY MISLEADING "top" sign with arrow. I plan to write a letter to monadnock state park telling them to move the sign up maybe another thousand feet or so. The upper part of the mountain was very icey. Especially the part that is open rock face. It was so icey in fact that we had to use our hiking poles to crack open the ice on the rocks so that we would have sturdy footholds. Most of the time we were practically crawling up the ice cold runnoff streams because at this point, the wet rocks and the water were safer to walk in than walking over the ice. When we neared the summit the wind started to pickup and by this time we were both soaked through with sweat and rain. Plus it was hailing and raining on us like, well I can't think of a good simile, but it was like hell. At the top we had a lot of trouble locating the Dublin trail too. There was a few moments there were I just thought to myself, this is it, we're going to die on top of this mountain, at least our bodies will be well preserved... but that was all just crazy/hunger/madness talk. We used my compass to find south and headed that way until we finally found the Dublin trail and began the descent. The Dublin trail was a lot more like the Dublin River. I had a few nasty falls on the way down too once I was starting to get really tired. Once we got below the treeline I never felt so relieved in all my life. We decided to cut the trip short then and there at the trail register at the bottom. We walked about 5-7 miles or so on backroads to Route 101, and then walked another 3 miles along 101 trying to hitchhike. By this time the rain was pouring and it was getting pretty dark. Thankfully, some very kind college kids picked us up and gave us a ride all the way back to our car. About 30 cars passed us before them spalshing water on us as they whizzed by. I think those kids may just have been my our first trail magic. The ascent of the mountain took us about four hours, the descent 3 hours (what with all the falling over), and than another 2 hours roadwalking. Quite a day. I think I will wait until summer or early fall to attemt another thru hike of this trail. It is not as fun during the rainy season. Frosty, if you're reading this I hope your traverse of the Monadnock went better than ours. On the good side, this was still a great shakedown for us, and we feel very confident of our strengths now. Plus, the morning before our climb we got our pack weights down a lot to both of us carrying about 30 lbs with 4 days worth of food. I can't wait to hit Springer Mountain next week. Even if it rains for a month at least it won't be hailing!!!! -I hope. See you all on the trail!!
-Lorac and Hobo Joe

Frosty
04-16-2004, 07:32

Chickety, I attempted a thru of the MSG starting last SUnday morning, starting at Monadnock Ranger Station. White Dot was fine going up (south-facing slope), but I was done in by Dublin Trail on the way down. Took an awful spill and bounced off a couple rocks, grabbed a tree to stop myself, and wrenched my back. Made it to Childs Bog outlet that night and camped there. Next day back hurt, and had to quit at Rte 9.

Will probably go back next week and finish. I still get a twinge in my back when I twist a certain way, though it is higher up, almost between myshoulder blades, so I might have just pulled a muscle when I stopped myself. I ruined a pair of gloves (tore the palm out of the left one) trying to grab rocks to stop myself before the tree saved me.

Tom

Chickety
04-16-2004, 09:17
Holy moly!

That ice was awful, your fall could have been alot worse. Though any type of back injury stinks, hopefully it is just a pulled muscle and you will be back out on the trail soon.

OSL and I had cars spotted at Nelson Rd (right after Childs Bog) and at Rte 9 last Monday, too bad we didn't see you to save you any hassle you went through.

On a good note.........the weather looks to be beautiful for this upcoming week!

I posted more pictures on the same link as above for Section 5 (Lovewell Mtn) and it is a great section!! The Max Isreal campsite is in a wonderful area to camp, lots of moose sign and very quite area.

Have fun when you get back out there!

Sounds like you weren't alone taking spills on Dublin Trail though, Lorac and Hobo Joe had a similar Dublin Experience. It can only get better! :)

Frosty
04-19-2004, 14:54
Frosty, if you're reading this I hope your traverse of the Monadnock went better than ours. On the good side, this was still a great shakedown for us, and we feel very confident of our strengths now. Plus, the morning before our climb we got our pack weights down a lot to both of us carrying about 30 lbs with 4 days worth of food. I can't wait to hit Springer Mountain next week. Even if it rains for a month at least it won't be hailing!!!! -I hope. See you all on the trail!!
-Lorac and Hobo Joe

Heh heh. Well, I didn't have much ice going up White Dot, but plenty coming down Dublin Trail. Once past Old Troy Road, the trail was fine, except that I'd hurt my back a bit on one fall.

It was more sore the next day, so I left the trail at Route 9. I'm going to finish it starting May 1.

I started a Trail Journal on it. Right now it only has my bummer misadventures of Day 1. I'll put Day 2 in this afternoon. After May 3, it should make for more fun reading as what else could possibly go wrong? (Should I have said that?)

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=58358

Frosty
05-02-2004, 16:40
Chickety, I was finishing the northern half of my MSGT hike this past weekend, and yesterday was atop Lovewell. I went to sign the trail register and saw your "Hello Frosty" note. I can't tell you how nice it was to see it, and what a surprise it was. Thank you.

At the summit with me was Steve Hansen, who owns some of the land on which the MSGT runs. He was doing some trail maintenance. He enjoyed my shout of laughter when I saw the note, and also that people were deriving so much pleasure from the trail. With so many Nat'l FOrest trails in NH, I tend to forget that the MSGT is one of many trails that run mostly on private property with the permission of many landowners.

Again, thaks for the note. It really brightened my day!!!!

Frosty

Chickety
05-03-2004, 19:06
Congrats on finishing!!

I knew you'd be passing through there at some point! You're welcome for the hello, glad it brightened your day!! :)

If the weather holds out, OSL and I will finish it next Monday, then I'll try to set 3-4 days aside sometime and backpack it all at once. It is a beautiful trail.

Frosty
05-03-2004, 22:38
Congrats on finishing!!

I knew you'd be passing through there at some point! You're welcome for the hello, glad it brightened your day!! :)

If the weather holds out, OSL and I will finish it next Monday, then I'll try to set 3-4 days aside sometime and backpack it all at once. It is a beautiful trail.
Alas, I finished the norhtern part, but still have a hole in the middle south of Washington. Just a day hike. I'm going out of town until mid-June, but then I'll do the missing bit.

I also would like to do an end-to-end backpack, perhaps early July. My summer plans include the Long Trail, and Ikeep thinking about hiking from Long Island Sound to North Pack via the RI North-South Trail, the MA Mid-State Trail, and NH Wapack Trail.

So many trails, so little time.

Frosty

Chickety
05-10-2004, 15:46
Hey Frosty!!

OSL and I finished our MSGT hike today! Saw your note in the mailbox (thanks!!) and Happy Late Birthday!!

Loved the walking the Sunapee Ridge! And Lucia's Lookout, amazing! What great views in all directions!

When we got near the Sunapee parking lot, OSL saw that the white blazes continued on where we were turning off.............
"Where's that go?" he asked.

I told him about the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge trail and his eyes lit up...........

:) Here we go again!