PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this Jansport pack?

gohawks
10-27-2008, 21:18
http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/JNSBB63.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=JNSBB63PU

Great price! Relatively lightweight at 2lbs 15oz,

At this point I've bought and sold/exchanged more packs than I've spent nights in the wilderness!!

I just haven't found that perfect pack yet (cheap, adjustable, 3300-3800 cubes, carries ~30 lbs easily/comfortably, ~3 lbs)

I think I might get one of these and see what the deal is. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Pacific Tortuga
10-27-2008, 21:34
NOPE, go for it, you know what you need. Can it be returned for full pop ?

I was the same way, went with a ULA Catalyst and will buy another soon.

Let us know if you like it.

Buy American!, would be my only 'stirring the pot'.

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 22:15
I have a Jansport pack that I purchased "cheap" in 1995, about 2,800ci. Looked flimsy, weak, and your average low quality pack when new...top pouch needs a seam sewn and the suspension is sacked but I still have it. It lasted about 10 years longer than I thought it would...still use it occassionally. At that price, what do you have to lose?...nothing else has worked for you yet!

geek

queary82
10-28-2008, 00:08
I have the Big Bear 5000, which looks to be just a larger size of this one. I have had it a little over a year and haven't had a problems with it. I picked mine up for a little over $100 from Sports Authority. It looks like a pretty good price for that pack. If you look at there return policy you have 60 days to return it for full refund to your credit card. Sounds like a good trial period to test the pack out and see how you like it.

Summit
10-28-2008, 18:08
From what I know and can recall, Jansport was a major player in the external pack world back in the '70s/early 80s. Still have my external frame D3. Then they seemed to focus on day packs / book bags. I haven't given close inspection to a current-day Jansport backpack, but my guess is, at that price, they're cuttin' corners somewhere. Suspension system? Quality of fabric? A $100 pack, even at $65 discounted is still a $100 pack. It's not going to perform as well as a $250-$350 pack. Keep that in mind, but hey, it might turn out to be OK for the price! ;)

gohawks
10-28-2008, 20:39
I went ahead and ordered it from ebags.com. They have free return shipping so there is no real risk.

Its scheduled to arrive next week. I'll compare it to the GG Nimbus Ozone and decide which to keep. Or I'll ditch 'em both and keep searching.

Summit
10-28-2008, 22:39
I went ahead and ordered it from ebags.com. They have free return shipping so there is no real risk.

Its scheduled to arrive next week. I'll compare it to the GG Nimbus Ozone and decide which to keep. Or I'll ditch 'em both and keep searching.Be sure to follow instructions on adjusting whatever adjustments it has for different torso sizes, and when satisfied that those are adjusted properly, load it up with whatever weight you carry and go on a good long walk to see how it rides. If it doesn't pass that test, who cares how durable the fabric, buckles, etc. are?

gohawks
10-31-2008, 21:19
Pack arrived today. I must say very fast free shipping from ebags.com.

At first blush the pack was kind of what I expected. It has that more coarse nylon material that you just don't see on packs today (except school packs). It does seem very durable in terms of material. The buckles and straps seemed substantial enough. The zipper felt a bit cheaper perhaps.

The one surprise was seeing two aluminum stays. I was under the impression (don't remember where I got the impression) that it had one hollow aluminum stay, but that wasn't true. No matter, just a surprise.

I liked the pack organization of the pack. There was a mesh pocket in the front, not real big, but functional. There was a front zippered pocket, and two bottle pockets on the side. The lid also had a pocket which I appreciate.

I wish I would have had a scale to weigh the pack. Somehow based on the materials of the pack I would doubt it weighed sub 3 lbs, but it definitely didn't feel abnormally heavy.

I loaded the pack with ~30 lbs and hoisted it on my back. YUCK! It felt terrible. It was pulling back and pushing in the small of my back at the same time. I couldn't wait to get it off. I was ready to put it in the box that instant and put the return label on.

Then i decided to look at bit more at adjustment and eyeballed the stays. I concluded that I should try and slightly bend them (not too much in case I still want to return the pack). I put it back on and it felt MUCH better.

It still was not terribly comfortable and i attribute that to either my weight problem or the length of the shoulder straps. They are definitely a bit shorter than I'm used to and I think it impacted the comfort of the pack

All that said there is no doubt the suspension is fairly robust and could take a lot of weight. 30 lbs was nothing.

I have a GG Nimbus Ozone showing up next week. I got it brand new and shipped for $90, so i will see which one I like better. I had a short torso GG NO and with my 18 inch torso lenght I felt like it was too short even properly adjusted, so I ordered a regular to replace it. Hopefully I'm not in between sizes as I was with the Gregory Z55. I LOVED that pack but it was just every so slightly too long. I may wish I had it back.

If I decide to send back the Jansport, no worries, ebags has free return shipping.

I'd love to try a ULA Catalyst, but don't think I can drop that kind of cash yet.

skinewmexico
11-01-2008, 02:19
Sunnysports has the Golite Pinnacle on sale for $78.