PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba questions

DapperD
10-27-2008, 21:28
I set up my 2007 Hubba today after a long time in storage,(haven't used it yet, just set it up once), and noticed the fly was adhering to itself the way it was folded. I was very careful to slowely seperate it, and then it appeared OK. I assembled the tent and it appears fine. I was wondering if other's had noticed the fly becoming sticky(maybe from the heat), however it does not feel sticky. Also was wondering from those who have used the Hubba in the very cold, how did it perform? Thanks

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 22:19
You have to beware of snow loads but mine hase performed better than expected down to 0*...pretty warm for all that ventilation.

My fly has never "stuck" as you describe. Could be heat.

geek

Mocs123
10-27-2008, 23:27
Where was it stored? I don't think you should ever store tents (or many other pieces of backpacking gear for that matter) in either hot or damp environments. I don't store any of my gear in my attic or in my basement no matter how tempting it is.

The stickiness is probably the poly coating on the rainfly starting to go bad. If it is bad, it probably isn't fixable.

Jim Adams
10-27-2008, 23:45
Where was it stored? I don't think you should ever store tents (or many other pieces of backpacking gear for that matter) in either hot or damp environments. I don't store any of my gear in my attic or in my basement no matter how tempting it is.

The stickiness is probably the poly coating on the rainfly starting to go bad. If it is bad, it probably isn't fixable.
It can be re-coated. You can buy the correct urethane and spray it on.
OTOH, usually when nylon fabrics are exposed (stored) in high heat, they end up smelling like barf and it won't come out.:eek:

geek

DapperD
10-27-2008, 23:47

The stickiness is probably the poly coating on the rainfly starting to go bad. If it is bad, it probably isn't fixable.I had it stored in it's stuffsack in a closet, which was dry but probably hot during the summer months. It doesn't appear damaged but just sort of stuck together as I opened it up from being folded.

DapperD
10-27-2008, 23:56
It can be re-coated. You can buy the correct urethane and spray it on.
OTOH, usually when nylon fabrics are exposed (stored) in high heat, they end up smelling like barf and it won't come out.:eek:

geekI wonder if the heat could compromise the fly's waterproof ability?

Jim Adams
10-28-2008, 00:06
I wonder if the heat could compromise the fly's waterproof ability?
As long as you didn't pull or "peel"any of the urethane off, it should be fine. Set it up in the yard and set a sprinkler next to it...should have your answer in 30 minutes!:D

geek

DapperD
10-28-2008, 00:18
As long as you didn't pull or "peel"any of the urethane off, it should be fine. Set it up in the yard and set a sprinkler next to it...should have your answer in 30 minutes!:D

geekI was thinking the same thing! I don't really think it is damaged because it was slightly sticky, but came apart and appears normal. Hopefully I am lucky. I did check the MSR site and they say the tent , like a sleeping bag, should not be stored in it's stuff sack. I appreciate your responses! Thanks

Smile
10-28-2008, 16:00
I have found that hanging my tents in my GC keeps them easier to stuff, and they have lasted longer than if keeping them stuffed in a sack. Those heavy duty wood hangers are awesome to use.

Hope the tent is AOK, it's a good one!:)

GroundHog
10-28-2008, 16:46
I had the same problem several years ago with a Eureka tent. I contacted Eureka and they advised me to take baby powder and put it on the coated side of the tarp, then wipe the excess off. This kept the tarp from sticking to itself. I feel sure coatings have changed over the years, so check with the manufacturer and see if they can advise a solution.

grrickar
09-29-2009, 16:43
I know this is an old thread, but maybe this will help others having the same issue. I opened my MSR Hubba tent and found the rainfly was stuck to itself, and very sticky once peeled apart. I used it anyway, and for the brief rain event it seemed to have remained waterproof. Not sure what a heavy rain would have resulted in.

I contacted Cascade Designs tech support and asked if this is a common issue, and the rep explained that this has been reported in areas that typically have high humidity (umm, like the entire SE? :)). She said it would be replaced under warranty *if* there was no signs of mildew. Perhaps improper storage could cause this. Mine is kept dry, packed and cared for well, but there is still the issue of having to pack the wet tent down the AT on long section hikes. That may have done mine in. I am sending it in this week, so we'll see what happens. There are no signs of mildew I can tell, and it was stored dry after my last outing.

If it is not replaced under warranty it will cost me $88 out of pocket :eek:

Jester2000
09-29-2009, 17:44

geek

This same thing happens if you store the tent with barf in it.

Pedaling Fool
09-29-2009, 17:56
:-?hmmm...I should probably set up my tents and check them out. I keep them in my pack, which I reguarly workout with on my treadmill.