PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Time requirements

m0rpheu5
10-28-2008, 01:03
What are the time limits or seasons that you can start/end the nobo thruhike?

Thinker
10-28-2008, 02:55
Start whenever, end whenever. Typically most start in March and April and end Sept/Oct. There are no times you absolutely cannot start or finish. My advice: TAKE AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLE CAN! Once it's over you'll wish you spent more time sitting and enjoying it all. I'm sure others will agree...

Tennessee Viking
10-28-2008, 03:16
There are hikers that start Jan1st, while others start April/May.

The only true time limit is the closing of camping season at Baxter State Park. You can still visit and hike the park past that date. Past that date you will have to arrange lodging or camping outside the park. Also when once you get to Baxter, you have to be ready to hike up Katahdin at moments notice to beat bad weather.

Blue Jay
10-28-2008, 09:35
IMO you should start before you are 80 years old and finish before you die. Some people can do long distance hikes after this age, however to the vast majority of people who keep putting off being happy until they retire, things happen like illness or the constant need for more money (no one ever has enough). Days fly by and things like living that you promised yourself slip away. The best time to start is now. Yes, you'll freeze your ass off, I certainly have in the past. Remember, being cold, wet, tired and starving is still better than working. Waiting until spring is OK, but no longer.

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2008, 14:25
Most folks will take between 24 and 27 weeks to thru-hike the A.T., with right around 6 months being about right for most people.

Anything less than five months would be considered a fast hike; anything less than four to four and a half would be a VERY fast hike, requiring more miles hiked per day, less time off in towns and elsewhere, or both.

While Baxter State Park in Maine stays open year-round, you really don't want to get there after 15 October, as you can't overnight in the Park, plus you have an excellent chance of running into bad weather.

Assuming you're planning a reasonably normal-paced hike, this means that for most folks, you reallly don't want to start after 15 April, unless you plan to hike a bit faster than most folks, or can discipline yourself to limit your town time.

If you anticipate taking much MORE than 6 months to finish your hike, then I'd start earlier.

I've always started between 15 March and 10 April and have always had time for a great hike.

Hope this answers your original question.

Spirit Walker
10-28-2008, 18:21
If you anticipate taking much MORE than 6 months to finish your hike, then I'd start earlier.

Alternately, if you want to do a northbound hike and are likely to be at Baxter later than mid-October, it is always possible to flip flop - jumping to Baxter and hiking south. It may not give the satisfaction of finishing at Katahdin, but it does allow you to hike the whole trail without worrying about not being able to climb the final mountain or feeling like you have to race the last few weeks.

Kirby
10-28-2008, 18:30
I'd start mid-march, that gives you plenty of time to get to Katahdin.

6 months is the norm, but plenty of people go faster and slower.

my thru hike was just under 5 months.

Kirby