PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Dummy Here

wspartykid
03-26-2004, 04:50
Honestly I never really knew that these hammocks existed for camping but I'm really turned onto the idea. I've looked through a bunch of these posts about them but I can't find allot of different brand names. Could someone tell me some different top brands so I can start checking them out. I'm planning on thru-hiking next year when I get the money saved up and I'd like to downsize my gear. I have a Kelty Clark tent, but the hammock thing sounds great. It's lighter and keeps you off the hard ground, but I'm completely oblivious. Please help me!

mattyg2
03-26-2004, 05:40
i've just recently converted to hammock camping and have probably visited most of the popular sites. For general information, check out old threads here, or visit the following web sites:

http://www.hikinghq.com (Sgt. Rocks site)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/ (posted by Ed Speer)
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.htm

They were some of the more informative of the bunch. Also look at the review on backpackgeartest.org.

In terms of brands names, hennessy Hammock is by far the most popular, along with Speer Hammocks and Clark Hammocks. Crazy creek also makes some, although I haven't read that much about them. I personally own a Speer hammock and think its the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. Just add a .com to the end of the brand names for their websites.

Hope this helps

matt

Crash
03-26-2004, 10:03
any of the major hammocks mentioned on this site.
It's all about adapting to that hammock. I personally have a Hennessey with its enclosed bug netting. The ridge line holding the bug netting up is great for hanging your light to read, and other items you need to reach for in the dark.
But don't turn down a chance at the Speer or the Clark. You need to sort out your priorities on what you need and want in a SHELTER not just a hammock. then decide which hammock fits your needs.
You can even make your own. I am going to make a simple one for my day hikes so I dont have to worry about ruining it. Don't let a few ounces get in the way of your decision making. Check out the sales: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/clrancesale.htm
Adapting and changing your hiking routine makes hammocking really work. Being able to bed down anywhere there's 2 trees takes a lot of tension out of the trek. I don't have to make the next shelter or tent site or be stuck near the loud partiers and snorers. getting a good nights sleep is soooo important.

Hammock Hanger
03-26-2004, 11:10
It really is important to know your likes and dislikes before buying a hammock and if at all possible lie in it. There really is a large difference in the hammocks. I carried a Hennesy for over 2000 miles and ablsolutely love it!!! However, I am friends with Ed Speers and have always been very interested in his PeaPod design. Just last weekend by husband bought me one. There are a lot of differences between the two and it will take some getting use to. Each has it's pros and cons. Now if I could just combine the two I would have the perfect hammock. I also tried a Clark, it was immediately voted off of my list, but I have a friend who really likes his. Just like with a tent, do your homework, but basically try them out. Sue/HH

zazou
03-26-2004, 11:34
Hi! I also love hammocking but find a hammock with a poncho more versatile. I use an eagle nest single (15oz) with a ID sil-poncho (9oz) complete with guy-lines (3oz) and 4 stakes (2oz) I'm at 29oz, not bad. Compared with my tarp set-up it's only 3oz heavier but way better for confort!
happy camping!
-franc

VAMTNHIKER
03-26-2004, 16:06
Sgt Rock links to the various companies... his site was the first to turn me on to HH.

http://www.hikinghq.net/

ScouterSteve

2Ply
03-26-2004, 18:12
Hay HH why didn't you like the Clark? I use both the Clark deluxe for colder weather and the Crazy Crib LX for warmer months and like them both.

MedicineMan
03-26-2004, 23:57
You cant go wrong....I've been in an A-sym HH Backpacker for almost 2 years now, this winter used a CrazyCreekCrib, and this Spring am using an Extreme Light Race HH....it truly is incredible waking up after awesome slumber with no aches and pains. I actually pity people sleeping in tents now!
Advice: practice before you go, the AT has millions and millions of trees but it will take you a few minutes to find the right two. Set it up higher than you think. Take a taco or underquilt even in Summer. Set it up with the head slightly lower than the feet. When you set up get off the trail and away from shelters because another beauty of the hammock is its ease in stealth camping and so far while in a hammock I've never had a mouse run across my face! Most important: think about dead trees and limbs that could rain down on you in a storm-same with a tent I suppose but I have set up on a dead tree and had to redo....
good luck hanging

Hikerhead
03-27-2004, 01:45
Which one do I want...hmm.....that was the question I had when I first went hammock shopping. I talked to HH, read everything I could find, went to the mfg'ers web sites but still, there was only one way to choose and that would be a side by side comparison. So, I ordered the light and heavy weight models of the Hennessy and Clark, took all four out into the woods and found that I liked different things about each. I ended up keeping the heavier models of each.

I find myself now using the Clark. Why? I've had a few bad moments in the rain in the Hennessey, mostly because of user error. I sleep warmer in the Clark and it's 100% water and dummy proof. It just works better for me. Another nice thing about the Clark that's not advertised is that you don't have to get out to PP. I would only share that moment with my friends. :jump

wspartykid
03-27-2004, 03:46
I went down to a local outdoor store to check out hammocks and the only brand they carried was Amazonas. It was only $60 bucks and that seems pretty cheap compared to the ones on the websites you guys gave me. I'm not trying to save money but get the most for it. Anybody have any reviews on this one?

2XL
03-27-2004, 09:58
Did a quick search on the Amozona hammock name. I was not sure which model you looked at, but did not think any are worthy of A.T. use. Here is a site with some discount prices on Hennessey Hammocks, I purchased mine from them. http://www.southsummit.com/Hennessy%20Hammocks.htm
I love my HH Explorer Deluxe.
Very important that you read the threads in this Hammock Camping Forum about keeping warm and underquilts.

2 XL

peter_pan
03-27-2004, 16:54
Hikerhead.

One can pee successfully from a HH also. Best if employed in the rain and hung on a sloping hilside of 30 degrees or so.

Maybe a new thread is needed? "Things one can do in a hammock".I'll bet the list would be longer than for a tent. Oh what the heck.

Crash
03-28-2004, 00:04
I went down to a local outdoor store to check out hammocks and the only brand they carried was Amazonas. It was only $60 bucks and that seems pretty cheap compared to the ones on the websites you guys gave me.

On the Hennessey site I bought mine for $69! go to the clearance sale. I've had no problems withit at all.

But read all the posts on hammocks on this site as well as Sgt Rock's and Shane's sites. then pick which one fits your needs. Price is not at the top of the list. You can even make a homemade Speer hammock real cheap. These hammocks are designed for camping.

attroll
03-28-2004, 00:35
You may have to spend a little bit on a hammock to get a good one but don't settle on the one that cost less. If you do this you may regret it later. The trick is to try each model before you decide on which one you want. Like Hammock Hanger said in one of her post, there are pros and cons to each one. You have to decide on the one that is for you.

boarstone
04-03-2004, 09:17
I use a byer model from Campmor.com, with a ground pad from Wal-Mart and the bug net sold at campmor as well. They have a new one (byer) at campmor the moskito traveller with the insect netting for $40. You'd still need to hook up a rain fly, so all in all by the time your done constructing one of your own, might as well get one made the way you need it to perform. Remember w/a hammock cold air settles under you, that's why I use the ground pad w/the sleeping bag and for cold weather as nylon is cold to begin with. Use it in your backyard(or somebodies) and try it out in worse weather senario's so you'll know what your willing to tolerate. (Rain/bugs)It is the only way to go as your birthday's increase! Happy trails!

trippclark
04-05-2004, 15:22
Hammock Hanger is right . . . both the Hennessy and the Speer have advantages. I have three and find uses for each of them. I have the Hennessy Expedition Asym, the Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker ASYM, and the Speer 8.0A with the down peapod. For summer trips to the trail, I prefer the Ultralite Backpacker, but for cooler weather, I prefer the Speer because of the peapod. Although I like lots of the features on the Hennessy, I think that if I were planning a thru-hike, I'd opt for the Speer system because of the peapod and larger tarp. You will shell out a few more $$ on the Speer system.