PDA

View Full Version : Longest stretch without resupply of canister fuel?

gonewalkabout
10-28-2008, 11:57
What is longest stretch without resupply of canister fuel? I know this can vary from year to year but just an idea would be good.

Chenango
10-28-2008, 12:14
I was wondering the same thing myself.

Johnny Thunder
10-28-2008, 12:45
I don't know exactly since I used alcohol but I remember complaints all through Maine. If you are hiking towards the end of the season it makes sense to carry two full canisters when leaving town since the could affects the life of the fuel and because even places that are known to hold supplies for hikers may have run out by September/October. In the latter instance it's tough to give an exact number but I think that some hikers had to make it from Gorham to Monson.

partinj
10-28-2008, 13:20
Their a list of resuppy for canisters on this site up in the left hand side on the main page.Tell where you can find the canisters alone the trail
:sun

Mags
10-28-2008, 14:34
Generally speaking, a 4oz canister is good for ABOUT 12 boils/meals (assuming simple boil and eat meals). This of course can depend upon temps, wind, how high you crank up the stove, etc.

As I always tell people, try cooking a few meals (preferably in real world conditions) to see how much fuel you use for your cooking.

smaaax
10-28-2008, 21:10
Generally speaking, a 4oz canister is good for ABOUT 12 boils/meals (assuming simple boil and eat meals). This of course can depend upon temps, wind, how high you crank up the stove, etc.

As I always tell people, try cooking a few meals (preferably in real world conditions) to see how much fuel you use for your cooking.

I agree, I was getting 13-14 days on a 40z canister, boiling about 2 cups a day. With this in mind, and larger canisters available, getting canisters is not an issue. Note down the locations from the article, and don't worry about it. There are enough places to buy it, and plenty half full or full ones in shelters and hiker boxes along the way...

Kirby
10-28-2008, 21:40
There were plenty in hiker boxes, I did not buy a canister between Hot Springs, NC and Monson.

It was crazy,
Kirby

whitelightning
11-03-2008, 00:37
I didn't have a problem finding canisters either. Johnny Thunder is probably right about Maine having the longest stretches where they were not easily available. They were available in Rangely, ME. A large canister was more than enough fuel to get me from Rangely to Katahdin. This is including a few extra days waiting for weather to clear as well. I was also able to find partially used canisters in shelters and hiker boxes, but I was not as fortunate as Kirby.