PDA

View Full Version : Traction devices

woodsy
10-28-2008, 12:30
Anyone ever try these on ice / crusty snow? I found some at Renys (a maine adventure,LOL) for $20.00 and gonna try them out first chance.
For those times when you don't need snowshoes w/crampons, crampons or microspikes yet, but need something for extra grip. These have replaceable tungsten carbide tips.

http://www.servusproducts.com/images/SR101.jpg

Hikerhead
10-28-2008, 12:57
I have Gripons made by Dryguy. You'll appreciate them when you hit some icy trail.

Mine are a few years old and they will come off if I'm not paying attention so I wrap my shoe strings thru them. That keeps them with me if they do come off.

The newer ones have velcro that wraps over your shoes to keep them there.

woodsy
10-28-2008, 13:12
I have Gripons made by Dryguy. You'll appreciate them when you hit some icy trail.

Mine are a few years old and they will come off if I'm not paying attention so I wrap my shoe strings thru them. That keeps them with me if they do come off.

The newer ones have velcro that wraps over your shoes to keep them there.
Gripons: same idea, light and inexpensive, not cumbersome. I like how they state they are not for technical climbing:D
http://www.dryguy.net/images/gripons/grions.jpg

Mags
10-28-2008, 14:18
How appropriate. I just looked up a similar thread (where I posted a link) and recently added it to my hikes article.

HEre is what I wrote:

"Though meant for trail running, this article gives a great overview for traction devices for lighter footware. (http://mountainrunning.com/features/february_08/index.html) The only review missing is for in-step (4 pt) crampons. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33054?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=33054) In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the four pt. crampons has proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions."

What you pulled up look similar to stabalicers? Other people in the thread gave them mixed reviews.

The thread started back a year or so ago if you are curious:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33013&highlight=traction+devices

jhick
10-28-2008, 14:25
I looked into this last year.... I'm not so sure about the slip on types. I would look into buying used crampons... rather walk a mile and have those P.O.S's fall off my shoes.

Wags
10-28-2008, 14:55
could just carry crappy old socks and put them on over your shoes like bear grylls does when he's on ice

Chenango
10-28-2008, 15:12
I use Stabilicers frequently in the winter. Now I am not talking climbing Mt Wahsington or anything like that, but these do work great on ice and thick crusty snow. Last March I was hiking on the AT in the Berkshires (MA and CT) and there was lots of ice on the rocks coming down the North side of the hills (Note to self: hike N to S in the early spring). My buddy had no traction devices and was falling frequently, but not me. I walke across sheets of ice with no problem.

But, I did not make it through a day without at least one of them falling off. It is a bit of a pain. I will rig up somthing this year to prevent that.

If I was do some serious climbing I would not use these, but rather crampons. But for hiking around in the woods and over hills, these things do the trick.

jhick
10-28-2008, 16:14
could just carry crappy old socks and put them on over your shoes like bear grylls does when he's on ice

hmmm... I'll have to try that. :-?

boarstone
10-28-2008, 16:23
The issue I have with this model is the heel area, where you first step there is no "help". It may be okay for daily walking on town streets, but still I can't help but remember buying them all and trying them all....for me these didn't do the job...:rolleyes:

Chenango
10-28-2008, 16:30
How does the socks thing work? You are joking, right? ;)

mudhead
10-28-2008, 16:31
Take those puppys back to Renys, and put the $20 toward the microspikes.

Remember that boilerplate up where you dug the snow cave? The kind of stuff you can scoot right across, but look for twigs and spruce needles to step on for traction, microspikes.

I only have several things I would replace, without a second thought, if they were burned/stolen.

TJ aka Teej
10-28-2008, 16:36
I have a pair of Yak Trax from the free stuff table a Gathering, they served fine coming down the Beaver Brook trail in NH last November. It was wet going up, but unexpectedly icy hours later coming down.

wrongway_08
10-28-2008, 16:47
I have the ones with the steel spikes, they slip over your shoe and are held in place like the ones pitchured above. Never had a problem out of them.

woodsy
10-28-2008, 16:57
mudhead;716354]Take those puppys back to Renys, and put the $20 toward the microspikes.
Aw c'mon, can't i at least try them once before i bring them back?

Remember that boilerplate up where you dug the snow cave? The kind of stuff you can scoot right across, but look for twigs and spruce needles to step on for traction, microspikes.
I have real traction devices for that kind of stuff
It was an impulse buy but they looked cool and they fit over my winter boots quite tightly.
I let ya know how they work out when i tackle Pinnacle Gulley on
Washington:eek::rolleyes::D

Hikerhead
10-28-2008, 17:54
Gripons: same idea, light and inexpensive, not cumbersome. I like how they state they are not for technical climbing:D
http://www.dryguy.net/images/gripons/grions.jpg

For around here they do fine. Up north I would want something a little bit more.
But they will get you out of tight spot like TJ pointed out.

LIhikers
10-28-2008, 18:44
I once had a pair of "slip on" stabilicers that were TERRIBLE. Every couple of steps one of them would come off so I returned them to where I bought them and put the $$ toward a pair of Stabilicers with the velcro straps. They work great.

Mooselook Marty
10-28-2008, 20:08
Take those puppys back to Renys, and put the $20 toward the microspikes

Agreed. Kahtoola Microspikes totally rock. They are nice and light, too, unlike Stabilicers, which weigh up to 2 pounds per pair :eek: I think their traction is a bit better, too.

They weighed 12 ounces for my size large.

If you need something a bit more heavy duty, check out the Kahtoola Steel crampons.

Marty

Wags
10-28-2008, 23:55
nope the socks thing really works

bkrownd
10-29-2008, 03:22
yak trax are pretty easy to find and cheap. Not sure how they'd compare for long distances.

jcazz
10-29-2008, 05:33
Woodsy, A friend of mine had those slip on things and they fall off constantly. Get some Kahtoola Microspikes you won't be sorry. I used mine all last winter -easy on easy off, light and they will fit right in your coat pocket -great for running on the icy snowmobile trails too.

JAK
10-29-2008, 08:00
I find downgrades the most treacherous, with light snow over who knows what.

nitewalker
10-29-2008, 08:07
[quote=Mags;716247

HEre is what I wrote:

"The only review missing is for in-step (4 pt) crampons. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33054?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=33054) In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the four pt. crampons has proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions."

i have these 4pt crampons and i use them for ice fishing. my brother makes them from scratch and they work great. after 5 hrs or so they do start to bother the bottom of the foot.

peace out, nitewalker

Gumbi
10-29-2008, 08:19
I have access to a CNC plasma torch and have been working on making a pair of instep crampons similar to the Petzl crab 6. I have the design made in auto cad and burned a pair in 14 guage steel. I made a few more mods and decided that I also need to make them out of 12 guage. I have the blueprints and .dwg files, PM me if you interested.

Gumbi
10-29-2008, 08:22
I need to add that my design and the Petzl crab are far more comfortable than the typical instep crampons or 4 point crampons. They have much better traction, too.

woodsy
10-29-2008, 08:59
Tis the season to start thinking about traction devices anyway, late fall, early winter is usually when conditions are the most treacherous here, before adequate snowfall for traction. Good to see so many options and homemade stuff too. Something for most every scenario.
I was thinking these typeshttp://www.servusproducts.com/images/SR101.jpg,
if they stay on would be good for easy to moderate icy terrain,around the homestead and also frozen ponds/lakes/ ice fishing. I really wasn't going to tacklehttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/PinnacleOverhang.jpg%5B/IMG%5D Pinnacle Gully with them, honest http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/PinnacleOverhang.jpg?t=1225284909

BAG "o" TRICKS
10-29-2008, 09:29
Buy the Yak pros with velcro if you like them, at least they stay on your feet after you shred them.. I have a pair of the Yak walkers and I've used them for light walking over ice and they work great. They do seem to grip better with the long spring coils on the bottoms. IMHO they are not made for or hold-up are for heavy duty day tripping in icey condtioins. I have and prefer the Ultra GripOns for rough trails they saty put on your foot where they belong and the spikes can be replaceable. Old Earl S showed me the trick with the screws into the sole of the shoe/boots, that works in a pinch.

Mags
10-29-2008, 14:22
yak trax are pretty easy to find and cheap. Not sure how they'd compare for long distances.

Very few people like Yak Traxx it seems. I find them ALL the time on trails. They seem to slip off easily. Perhaps the "pro" version is easier to use.

I just may invest in some microspikes myself.

Two Speed
10-29-2008, 14:40
I've used a pair of Yak Trax successfully in the Smokies. Yeah, they were the "pro" version, but I think the key was going down to dealer and picking a pair that "locked" up with the sole of the boots I was wearing at the time. Anyway, I had a great time hiking the AT from Newfound to Davenport over MLK weekend one January.

Lots of heavily packed snow and ice.

Chenango
10-29-2008, 16:42
Woodsy, A friend of mine had those slip on things and they fall off constantly. Get some Kahtoola Microspikes you won't be sorry. I used mine all last winter -easy on easy off, light and they will fit right in your coat pocket -great for running on the icy snowmobile trails too.

How do the Microspikes attach. The web-site picture lookes like it just stretches over the shoe/boot. What keeps it from falling off?

River Runner
10-29-2008, 19:52
How do the Microspikes attach. The web-site picture lookes like it just stretches over the shoe/boot. What keeps it from falling off?

Yes they just attach over the footwear. The elasticity and the way they are formed keep them very secure.

sasquatch2014
10-29-2008, 20:07
I have used the yak trak before for a few days on the AT and they slipped a few times but for the most part they stayed put for me.

I haven't heard the sock thing before but when I think about it i suppose that it would act much the skins on telemark skis.

Wise Old Owl
10-29-2008, 20:18
How does the socks thing work? You are joking, right? ;)

He's not joking and I cannot believe it will work.. they would soak up and gunk up to lead weights. - Socks are only good substitutes for gloves in a eme situation.

I have a "horrible sloped" driveway and Yak Trak makes the difference of taking a fall or making it. Last year someone posted here YT was a "toy" for the trail. I however am still a believer.

mudhead
10-30-2008, 05:38
Yes. Snug fit. Toe in, pull over heel. It was about 15 miles on ice before I trusted them not to slip off.

The red part goes around the foot. Thin metal crossbar over toenails. The red stuff is thicker than some slip ons.

You end up with spikes under your heel and ball of foot, with chain connecting them.

My feet are odd, so I find it easier to get them centered while sitting down.

I have not mastered the art of getting them aligned the way I like while standing on one foot.

Wags
10-30-2008, 10:12
socks work on ice, not so much for snow

Uncle Tom
10-31-2008, 13:48
The slip on kinds slip off when you least appreciate it. Get the Stabilicers, with the rigid sole and velcro straps. They work well .