PDA

View Full Version : Does hiking poles are necessary ?

Roee Dotan
03-26-2004, 08:32
I wonder if hiking poles is necessary for the AT thru hike ?

Bcoz it is hard for me to try and imagine myself walking with 2 poles are attached to my hands the whole trail..

What da ya think ?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2004, 08:36
They aren't necessary. I did 5 thru-hikes plus thousands of other miles with no sticks or fancy dancy, overpriced hiking poles.

Peaks
03-26-2004, 08:45
Most thru-hikers use them, even the ultra lighters. Must be a good reason why.

VAMTNHIKER
03-26-2004, 08:49
Individual choice... I have found for myself, sticks help.

ScouterSteve

chris
03-26-2004, 08:50
Not necessary for some, others like them. Some ultralighters use them. Flyin Brian and Wall (broke the PCT speed record this year) use them. I don't, as my knees are good and my balance is fine.

NewOldGuy
04-10-2004, 22:30
Going downhill with a pack is very hard on the knees and if you have knee problems to begin with you will probably want the trekking poles. They are also nice when negotiating tricky spots on the trail.

MedicineMan
04-11-2004, 00:16
Maybe 33 years of hiking, maybe genetics, maybe too many sprains/falls/accidents over they years but my knees and ankles are shot...I'm like the bumblebee-theoretically he can't fly, and theoretically I cant hike but I keep trying...
For me the poles are not only proven in the number of falls they have prevented, but also a psychological crutch.
L.W. makes a good point about cost when a good hickory stick will do.
Like everything in life its a personal choice...I wont hit a trailhead without them, and my advice for younger hikers it to begin using them now, along with a calcium supplement and vitD, maybe they got good knee genes,maybe not and the stress does build over the years-one way or another.

woodhippie
04-11-2004, 09:30
hello

Good discussion thread............as for my input, I've hiked with them and I've hiked without them.....the difference can be realized at the end of the day when ya sit down to make the journal entry and take note of how your feet and knees feel.....I have fewer knee problems with 'em than without........................In short as for me being a quadraped really rocks.

see ya in the woods

Jack