PDA

View Full Version : thru-hike NOBO March 11th 2009

djmpa2001
10-28-2008, 18:56
Hello my Name is Dennis I am a retired 54 yr old male from Delaware. I plan starting my NOBO hike on March 11th 2009 from Amicalola State Park GA. I have my gear bought and have a pack weight of 37lbs. I plan on hiking at least 12 miles a day or greater. My end goal is Katahdin MT Maine , by late September. It would be nice to have someone accompany me through the landscape. I am not new to hiking or camping but I'm sure there is something I can learn. If anyone is interested I would be pleased to chat with you.

Happy hiking

Joe8484
10-28-2008, 21:22
Dennis,

While I am not looking for a hiking partner... we do live relatively close by. If you want to meet up before March for a hike let me know.

I'm due to leave Springer mid march sometime, so I'm sure I'll see you on the trail.

Joseph

CrumbSnatcher
10-28-2008, 21:25
Hello my Name is Dennis I am a retired 54 yr old male from Delaware. I plan starting my NOBO hike on March 11th 2009 from Amicalola State Park GA. I have my gear bought and have a pack weight of 37lbs. I plan on hiking at least 12 miles a day or greater. My end goal is Katahdin MT Maine , by late September. It would be nice to have someone accompany me through the landscape. I am not new to hiking or camping but I'm sure there is something I can learn. If anyone if interested I would be pleased to chat with you.

Happy hikingdennis if you don't have a partner to start your hike, don't worry you'll meet people right off, and most likely have a new friend or two early on. there will be plenty of company for you, starting march 11th. have a great hike...

"Cat"
10-29-2008, 16:19
djmpa2001;

I will be hiking around 1st partof march if you start at "AFSP" they have a great little trail shelter you can stay in for the night behind the visitors offfice several hundred yards off to the left after you go thru the Portal Arch!

Then start hiking refreshed and early the next morning,that's what I will probably do, when I get to "AFSP",just a suggestion?

"Cat"

bronco
10-29-2008, 18:57
I started on March 9th 2008. I live near you at the Md PA line. would be glad to share some of my experiences with you to help you out . I am going to be out in 09 hiking. you will not be alone I met lots of people and we hiked togeather on and off all the way to Maine hope you make it I will always cherish my hike BRONCO

djmpa2001
10-29-2008, 21:01
hey Cat,

I'm taking the Amtrak from PA to Gainesville Ga. and getting picked up from the train station by a hostel and staying overnight at the hostel then they are droping me off at AFSP. I think they are droping me off at 8am so maybe we can meet up then, keep in touch

Dennis

djmpa2001
10-29-2008, 21:24
Hey Joe,

where would you go for a hike before march, a weekend would be a good way to get the new gear tested. what do you think

Joe8484
10-29-2008, 21:38
Dennis,

Pennsylvania has plenty of trails I've wanted to try. I'm not sure but Delaware must have a few decent trails. I am willing to travel up to 150 miles.

How far are you from the Cape May-Lewis Ferry?

djmpa2001
10-29-2008, 22:17
Joe,

PA has alot of trails especially the AT that runs through lehighton pa up north off 476. It's a tough part of the AT tho, but has some good views. I was thinking of going to the town of Palmerton and hike north for a weekend . hike one day north then one day back south. it would be a good test of gear and it's nice up there except for the old zinc mine. I have to see where the entrance is to the AT from Palmerton.

what do you think

TJBaker
10-29-2008, 22:46
Entrance to the AT at Palmerton you say???

Straight up that rock pile to the east!!!

Radar GA->ME 07

djmpa2001
10-29-2008, 22:49
TJBaker,

is the palmerton access to the AT marked, and is it right off of the main highway. I'm waiting for the maps I order hope they are good.

Joe8484
10-29-2008, 23:20
Sounds great....I'm just waiting for some new gear, I changed to a hammock but it will be here this week.

I can go anytime as long as I have a weeks notice.

joe

djmpa2001
10-30-2008, 00:13
Joe,

let me know when you get the hammock and I'll get the maps for the entrance to the At from Palmerton. I'd be good for Nov 8,9th or Nov 22,23 either weekend looks good.

Joe8484
11-01-2008, 19:07
Dennis,

It looks like the weekend of Nov. 22 is better for me. They forgot to ship some items with the hammock:confused:. E-mail me at [email protected] instead of using this forum to plan the hike.