PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag for bigguy side sleeper

The Big J
10-28-2008, 19:33
I am thinking about getting a new sleeping bag. I am looking for a bag wide bag/or strech bag. Most bags have a 62-64 shoulder girth, I need at least 70in. . I have seen the montbell huggers, they seem a little pricey. I currently have a Big Anges that i like a lot, but it does not work well for a side sleeper. when you roll to your side you have to roll inside the bag, then the hood is in your face. If i was a back sleeper it would be perfect. Any recommedation for a sleeping bag for a side sleeping 6ft 260lb guy

Blissful
10-28-2008, 19:41
Got my big hubby a Big Agnes down bag - he loves it.
Usually the bag should roll with you, unless the bag is too big ?

The Big J
10-28-2008, 19:48
If the pad is in the sleeve and I sleep on my side the pad needs to remain on the ground at that point the hood in my face and I am breathing right into the hood with half of my head covered and half exposed.If I cinch the hood I feel like I can not breath. Does your husband sleep on his side or back. If I was a back sleeper I would agree.

Egads
10-28-2008, 19:59
Buy a Mont Bell when on sale.

slow
10-28-2008, 21:01
I am thinking about getting a new sleeping bag. I am looking for a bag wide bag/or strech bag. Most bags have a 62-64 shoulder girth, I need at least 70in. . I have seen the montbell huggers, they seem a little pricey. I currently have a Big Anges that i like a lot, but it does not work well for a side sleeper. when you roll to your side you have to roll inside the bag, then the hood is in your face. If i was a back sleeper it would be perfect. Any recommedation for a sleeping bag for a side sleeping 6ft 260lb guy

Call ...F.F.:)

mudhead
10-29-2008, 04:38
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46446

The heavyweight bargain brand.

Have you tried pulling the chunk of hood under your chin when you roll?

I have hood in the face when using a bag upside down as a quilt, have to make an air hole.

gohawks
10-29-2008, 08:17
How about a quilt?

randyg45
10-29-2008, 09:19
I don't know which BA bag/system you're using, but I want to try a BA Park series- "Buffalo Park". I have hood issues, back issues, neck issues (hell, my wife just says I have issues), and sleep on my left side with my left arm sorta flung outwards. I'm hoping the insulated pad and fleece will bring that 40 degree rating down some.....
Heavy, but I scrimp elsewhere anyway. You gotta sleep.

FatMan
10-29-2008, 09:56
Buy a Mont Bell when on sale.Backcountry.com has a 20% off coupon sale ending today. They carry Montbell. Coupon code is 3BG-1-AEMTB.

The Big J
10-29-2008, 12:38
I side sleep with my arm under my pillow/head, when in the BA bag with my pad in the sleave side sleeping does not work well. My summer bag is a marmont and I sleep well in it. It was tight in the shoulders, so I ordered a bag extender from BA. I can roll over with the bag on top of my pad unlike the BA bag. The problem I had was trying to match the zippers from one company to the company of the bag extender. That is why I am looking for a wide lightweight bag. The Fethered Friends looks great and they will work with me, I just need to save the funds. The Montbell looks good to I would just like try one on for size. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

FatMan
10-29-2008, 13:14
The Montbell looks good to I would just like try one on for size. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.Backcountry.com has a no question return policy. If you are serious go ahead and order one and if it does not fit you just return it. At a couple of pounds the return shipping will be less than ten bucks. It will likely cost you that much in gas to go to an outfitter who has one to test.

The Big J
10-29-2008, 13:22
Backcountry.com has a no question return policy. If you are serious go ahead and order one and if it does not fit you just return it. At a couple of pounds the return shipping will be less than ten bucks. It will likely cost you that much in gas to go to an outfitter who has one to test.

Thanks Fat Man going to backcountry.com now.

BigCat
10-30-2008, 09:02
I highly recommend the Marmot Sawtooth Xtra Wide.

I'm 6'3'' and need a shoulder girth of around 70'' -- it's a great bag! (And was recommended to me by several other 'big boy' hikers)

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR1132/Marmot-Sawtooth-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down.html

rpenczek
10-30-2008, 13:05
I have converted to BA, but before that, I have a Marmot Trestles 15 degree xtra wide (same as sawtooth but synthetic). I was very comfortable in this bag and I am 6'3" and 300 lbs.

The Trestles is generally on sale at Campmor and just at 4lbs. A little heavy, but it does the job well.

EMAN
10-30-2008, 13:39
Big J-
I have one of the BA "wedgies" I no longer need. In fact, the one I had went bad so this is a brand new replacement still in the paxkage. I would be happy to turn loose of it if you're interested. I lost a bunch of weight and I now fit pretty darn well in my Zirkel.

mudhead
10-30-2008, 19:49
Big J-
I now fit pretty darn well in my Zirkel.

Good work. Fun buying new pants?

hopefulhiker
10-30-2008, 20:32
I used a BA insulated air mattress in combination with a silk liner and a quilt.. Quilts work well for side sleepers and are versatile.. Look at the Jacks R Better "No Sniveler", The Nuantak Back Country Blanket" or you can make your own with one of the kits...

EMAN
10-30-2008, 21:19
Nah....just wear 'em the way they are. Can't afford new pants. Got a small hiking gear habit and a big Harley Davidson, neither of which is cheap.
And the big pants make me look smaller....hahahaha.......

dla
10-30-2008, 22:53
How about a quilt?

Quilt is the best thing that every happened to me. I feel sorry for folks that think you have to be zipped in a mummy bag to sleep warm.

The Big J
10-31-2008, 10:29
Thank you all for your input. Eman I have the BA wedgies that I use for my marmot pounder 40 degree bag it works well. One side zip perfect into BA bag the other side took some work, i do not know why. I think I will try to find a bag that the wedgie is compatable to, or look into a quilt. The more I think about it I have some time to make a choice. I do not hike in the winter. I am getting the I need some new gear bug!!!