PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from up north

Canada_dan
10-28-2008, 20:07
Hey there, hows everyone doing. I'm planning on a thru-hike this coming March and I've been wondering about a few things,maybe you can give me some advice. First off is permanone (permethrin) widely available in the USA? I live in Canada (more specifically Vancouver island B.C.) and have yet to find it anywhere. Usually when I ask someone working at a store if they have it they just stare at me for awhile then tell me they have DEET. Second thing, has anyone used one of those Ray Jardine quilts? I'm considering buying one as it seems like a good deal, and as the stores here on "the island" have a poor selection. Also, are these mail drops expensive? I mean it would most likely cost my first born child to send a bunch of packages from 3000 miles away in Canada, but I'm guessing it would be easier if I did it from some town near the trailhead. And while the food issue is relevant, is good food hard to come by in towns along the trail? Or will I have to exist on beef jerky, chocolate bars, and instant noodles from gas stations etc? And what about clothing I have enough shirts etc etc but as far as pants go I only have a few pairs of jeans, I'm thinking of getting some army surplus wool pants. Would they be too warm for a March start? Does it even get really cold that far south of the border, I mean I worked on an oil drilling rig in Alberta and it was -44 celcius outside now that was cold!

Well now that I got the questions out of the way I'll let you know what gear I'm using. My pack is a Taymor Acadian, it's an external frame pack that looks like its from the 70-80's, it's really light maybe a pound, maybe two. I got it at a thrift store for $9 so I'd be happy even if it was 3-4 pounds. Holds more than my expensive Marmot Eigier 36 pack and is more comfortable as well. I've got a Hennesey hammock (expedition) and as mentioned above will probably get a ray way quilt. It's going to be some journey for me just to get to the trail head. I've never been anywhere in the states (minus LAX....gives me nightmares just mentioning that place) and when I finally do complete the trail I'll have to get back up to Canada. Which I'll say I have only been as far east as Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan so the east is all new to me. All in all it's going to be a good journey considering I'm foot loose and fancy free without any bills, relationships or commitments. On the other hand I'm recovering from a broken fibula and have been walking without a cast for almost a month now(no surgery), hopefully that injury doesn't get in the way. Anyone ever broke their ankle before? Jeez this started as a few questions and is gaining considerable size every minute. I think I'll just stop now.

fancyfeet
10-29-2008, 04:03
First of all, :welcome

Permanone: I haven't seen it in stores. Most bug dope is DEET based or natural based like citronella. Permanone apprears to be used to treat clothing. I'd recommend buying some online or try a larger outdoor store if that's what you want to do. Ask for "Repel" - might get more results.

Quilt: No experience with them.

Mail drops: I don't think they're necessary in most cases. There are a probably a few points where you might want to use them. Resupply is not a problem in most trail towns. A few have more limited options. Check out the articles section on this site, there's a good run down of resupply spots along the trail and where mail drops might be helpful. I use a bump box (bounce box) with extra supplies in it like ziploc bags, batteries, extra first aid items. Just mail it a few towns ahead of you. If you don't need to use any of the items, forwarding it is free.

Clothing: definitely buy technical clothing. No jeans, cotton, flannel etc. Buy used or on ebay if price is an issue. Campmor (available online) is also a good place to get discounted gear. I use: convertible pants, wicking tshirts, lightweight and midweight capilene shirt, fleece top, fleece pants in colder weather (usually just for camp), good rain jacket, warm hat, gloves and a brimmed hat (for sun shade and to keep bugs off my head). Good hiking socks are a must, I also have a pair of fleece socks for camp only. Also carry a couple bandanas and a packtowel, underwear and a lightweight pair of camp shoes (crocs, sandals or water shoes).

Weather: you can expect to see some snow in the spring and some cold weather in the fall up north, but not likely to get below the 20's in most cases. I don't wear warmer pants or fleece tops when hiking, I just get too hot. In camp, they're essential. Just make sure you always have something dry to put on in the evening.

The leg: you should be fine, just be careful of jumping down off of rocks. I recommend treking poles or a hiking stick at least, for stability. Just listen to your body and don't push it if the old injury is acting up. May be prone to swelling or pain, but that depends on how bad the break was.

In general: go for it. You'll get the hang of what works for you as you go (and probably more advice than you want). Hikers out on the trail are a great source of info as well. The AT can be a wonderful experience and I wish you the best.

peakbagger
10-29-2008, 07:53
Walmart typically carries a spray on Pemtherin product in the hunting department. Worse case is check at any hunting shop. The clerks at Walmart usually have no clue what it is or used for, but it usually is right next to DEET.

garlic08
10-29-2008, 10:14
I got permethrin from Campmor.com. It seemed to work, I never pulled off a single tick (wore long trousers all the way).

I didn't do any maildrops for food (one for permethrin and shoes). Buying food along the way worked fine for me.

I would consider the quilt, but I haven't used one yet.

Good luck with the fracture. I started the PCT a couple months after hernia surgery, everything worked out OK. Hardly anyone is in perfect condition out there, just normal people.

TJ aka Teej
10-29-2008, 12:08
:welcome to WhiteBlaze!
Just say No to the wool pants, and check out Baltimore Jack's resupply article here on WB (when your start date gets closer) for info on food drops etc. Another resource for planning is the ATC's official Appalachian Trail guidebook: The ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion. It's compiled by volunteers who are personally familiar with their sections. You can buy the book thru the ATC's website, or view it for free at http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Blissful
10-29-2008, 14:25
I'd make sure you are cleared by a Dr on your fracture for long distance hiking. Once you are cleared, start walking as much as you can, and then with a loaded backpack so you get used to the weight and the pounding. You just don't want to develop a stress fracture or other injury.