PDA

View Full Version : vermont

wolf
10-28-2008, 20:17
Can I Do Vermont In 9 Days If I Do 15 A Day Going South,were Can A Get On Trail ( Town)

Lone Wolf
10-28-2008, 20:22
Can I Do Vermont In 9 Days If I Do 15 A Day Going South,were Can A Get On Trail ( Town)

start in hanover, n.h. it's 154 miles south to north adams, mass.

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2008, 20:31
In other words, if you only have 9 days to work with, your miles-per-day average will have to BE closer to 17 rather than 15.

wolf
10-28-2008, 20:36
How Do I Get To Hanover From Pa.

Lone Wolf
10-28-2008, 20:38
bus, car, plane, train. how do you wanna go?

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2008, 20:44
It's probably best to drive.

Failing that, you can fly to nearby Lebanon NH (or Manchester or Concord).
Some folks fly into Burlington VT.

You can easily get to Hanover by Greyhound bus, tho you'd most likely be better off taking the Amtrak train to nearby White River Junction, VT and then taking a bus or cab to Hanover from there.

Yahtzee
10-28-2008, 20:53
Normally, I am always in the "totally doable" crowd but Vermont southbound in 9 days is a pretty tough go. Can't quite say why but Killington to Hanover is a slow stretch. Not many big mts in the way but it's a slog. You could certainly pick up some miles in southern Vt, but anything over 17 miles there is gonna be a long day, too.

Of course, it can be done. Get up early and walk all day, almost any itinerary is possible.

Are you planning on doing this soon?

smaaax
10-28-2008, 21:04
Normally, I am always in the "totally doable" crowd but Vermont southbound in 9 days is a pretty tough go. Can't quite say why but Killington to Hanover is a slow stretch. Not many big mts in the way but it's a slog. You could certainly pick up some miles in southern Vt, but anything over 17 miles there is gonna be a long day, too.

Of course, it can be done. Get up early and walk all day, almost any itinerary is possible.

Are you planning on doing this soon?

No big deal if he is in shape, I did Vermont in 6.5 days on my thru, though I was obviously in excellent shape by then.

Killington to Hanover is a little hillier as you are crossing the ridges instead of running them, but I did this section in two days; one being 27 miles.

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2008, 21:07
You are also 23.

And most folks have been hiking for 140 days already when they get to the Vermont border, or for 40-odd days if they're going south, so they're in pretty great shape before tackling Vermont.

For most guys in their mid-fifties, Vermont in 9 days would be a pretty serious undertaking, especially right out of the box.

Maui
10-28-2008, 21:33
vermont in 9 days.. doable? sure. enjoyable?? depends. if you're in good shape and up for hiking some longer days, go for it. this is a beautiful section (though a bit muddy this summer). if you prefer to put in some less ambitious miles and set-up camp before dark, maybe you should think about a smaller section. maybe you could hike Hanover to Manchester Center (about 100 mi, 11mi/day).. if you finish early, you could always stop for a dayhike or two on your way back to PA. but, if you're set on knocking out VT in one shot, it is completely doable.. pack light and go for it. when are you planning to go?

Kirby
10-28-2008, 21:39
You can solve your who situation by not hiking in the state at all, not missing much.

But if you do, give yourself closer to 11-12 days to ensure you can complete the trip.

Kirby

rlharris
10-28-2008, 21:57
But be aware: Flights to Lebanon (LEB) tend to be pricey (small airport, limited service, no competition). There is no public transportation I know of from either Manchester (MHT) or Burlington (BTV). However, there is excellent bus service from Boston's Logan Airport to Hanover (Dartmouth Coach). And it's a short walk from the Hanover bus stop to the trail head for the AT.

Failing that, you can fly to nearby Lebanon NH (or Manchester or Concord).
Some folks fly into Burlington VT.

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2008, 22:05
I also would avoid flying into Lebanon.

If I had to get from PA to Hanover and didn't have a car, I'd probably take the Train from Philly to White River, which would probably be cheaper (and quicker) than flying to Boston and then taking the bus here.

Blissful
10-28-2008, 22:19
Vermont is a great state to hike. You only miss much if you had a bunch of rain like Kirby did. :) We had a little of both. I enjoyed VT. Take your time and do what you can. I found the first section from Mass line to Rt 4 the most interesting. I'd do that part.