PDA

View Full Version : Hennessey Help

mountaineer
03-26-2004, 10:39
I was at REI last night and bought my first Hammock - the Hennessey Ultra-Lite A-Sym... I was very excited to check it out in the back yard, but it was missing the wrapping straps... I am returning it today to another REI store that is supposed to also have one in stock (they only had the one at the first store), but want to make sure I have all the pieces before I leave. The Hennessey site doesn't have a specific list, so I thought maybe you experts could help...

Having never set on up, I am going on common sense here... it seems really the only things needed (and therefore expected in the kit) are the hammock (with proper lines attached), the fly (also with proper lines attached), and the wrapping straps... but that brought up the question of securing the guy lines to the ground - should it come with spikes also? If not, what kind / size do you guys recommend? How many do you bring on a thru-hike? Do you also bring extra cord? Seems like a good idea... if so, what kind and how much?

Anyone that has purchased one of these recently that could tell me what came in their kit would be a big help... thanks!!

Hammock Hanger
03-26-2004, 11:03
My Ultra-lite came with FLY, HAMMOCK (screen attached), WEBBED Tree Saving Bands, STUFF SACK. The Snake Skins are extra and you purchase your own stakes. A lot of times you can make stakes on the trail out of small branches, you can tie to a tree or a rock. If you like perfection buy stakes, 2 - 4. If you are weight oriented they have titanium one on the market. Sue/HH

Kerosene
03-26-2004, 13:45
The "wrapping straps" you speak of are call "tree huggers". While they are actually not required for setting up the tent, using them keeps the bark on the trees. I'm pretty sure that the Backpacker Ultra-Lite A-Sym comes with tree huggers as standard equipment (they were in my bag when I bought from REI in 2002), but it's possible that the Racer does not.

mountaineer
03-26-2004, 15:32
Thanks for the replies - the first instruction for set-up on the stuff sack states to put "wrappings straps around the tree", so figures they should be included. We'll see what I get tomorrow.

Deerleg
03-26-2004, 19:52
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.htm
Got to check out this sight...shows how to do the lashing...very good video!

Cehoffpauir
03-26-2004, 20:04
... it seems really the only things needed (and therefore expected in the kit) are the hammock (with proper lines attached), the fly (also with proper lines attached), and the wrapping straps... but that brought up the question of securing the guy lines to the ground - should it come with spikes also? If not, what kind / size do you guys recommend? How many do you bring on a thru-hike? Do you also bring extra cord? Seems like a good idea... if so, what kind and how much?

The fly has two cords on each side, each about 9 feet long (on my Expedition A-Sym). I tied about 5 1/2 feet of nylon string to each O ring at the head and foot of the fly, for the flexibility of setting up the fly itself anywhere I might wish--to cook dinner, for instance. At www.hikinghq.net Sgt Rock has extensive reviews on the HH and many good ideas. At www.hennessyhammock.com a video of tying the knot is very helpful indeed. (I just couldn't understand the instructions on the bag.)

Crash
03-26-2004, 22:34
Stakes?? u dont need no stinkin stakes. Just tie your side ropes to rocks or to other trees and save the weight. In Pennsy we have millions of 'em.

Check out Shane's site too: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm
that's where I learned to do the figure 8 lashing - I can even do that in the dark now.

Use your treking poles to adjust the height of the fly sides by running the side ropes thru the web handles.

Lumberjack
03-28-2004, 12:42
I carry two aluminum tent stakes in case I cant find suitible tie-outs, adds an oz but has been very usefull

hammock with two tie cords
fly with two tie cords
2 tree hugger straps
carry sack

make sure you set it up a couple of times before you go - easier to learn while your not tired....

mountaineer
03-29-2004, 12:15
thanks for all the replies. After getting the new kit, it was obvious the first one I received was a return of some sort... it even had different cords, which makes me think it was a different style hammock. In any case, got everything in the new one, and tested it out... used the video on the Hennessey site for the lashing lesson, and it was easy enough.

Couldn't figure out how to get the netting cord tightened, though - it just kind of hung down on my face. I ran out of daylight for playing with it, so will try again this week, but if someone can help a newbie out with a quick tip on getting the netting up, it would be appreciated.

attroll
03-29-2004, 12:39
I am confused by what you mean when you say netting cord. I assume you mean the hammock side pull outs. On mine I just pull then out until it has a little bit of stretch to the cord because it is a elastic type of cord. So I do not pull it very tight. Just enough to pull the sides out. That works for me.

mountaineer
03-29-2004, 13:11
Could be my trees weren't far enough apart (I only have 2 in the backyard)... will try again and see how it goes...

attroll
03-29-2004, 13:24
As long as you can get the ridgeline of the hammock level and it does not have to be real tight when tying the hammock up. What I do is find the two trees that I am going to use and then tie the hammock at the level I want it to be at and make the line slack. What I mean by slack is that I leave just enough slack in the line so that after it is tied I can slide the hammock end straps up or down the tree so I can get the height I want the hammock at. When you are done tying the hammock up if it is set up correctly you should be able to sit in the opeing with your feet hanging out and just touching the ground. Like you would be if you were sitting in you kitchen chair. But I do not tie mine tight at all.

mountaineer
03-29-2004, 14:50
It is all making more sense now ... I can picture how it is supposed to go, and I can see where I went wrong. thanks, AT Troll, great tips.