PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap?

G-WALK
10-29-2008, 02:32
Is It Safe To Leave A Car At Woody Gap? On A Thusday Or Friday Night?

Doughnut
10-29-2008, 05:48
Probably. I haven't had any problems anywhere, however, you may consider leaving it with Hiker Hostel and have them shuttle you.

FatMan
10-29-2008, 07:10
In another thread Ron Haven says he has heard horror stories about cars left at Woody Gap. But I live in the area and have not heard of any issues recently. I do not believe it is less safe than any other open access area. If you have concerns, the suggestion to use the hiker hostel above is a good one. I also have an open invitation to all white blazers to park at my property at Grassy Gap two miles south on the trail from Woody Gap. From driveway to trail is a few hundred yard walk. If interested PM me for details.

Tagless
10-29-2008, 07:34
I've done so (four consecutive nights) without a problem.

Ekul
01-05-2009, 23:06
Left my truck there 1/2-1/4 no problems.

BitBucket
01-06-2009, 00:53
drive on down to josh and Leigh's place at the Hiker Hostel down towards Dahlonega.

Spend the night with them and get a great nights sleep, Josh/Leigh will fix you a great breakfast to get you started and haul you back up to Woody Gap early the next morning for $15.

Then when you get tired, give 'em a call and they will come pick you up just about anywhere, take you back, give you a shower, let you wash your clothes and get a good nights rest and eat breakfast again...

You can't beat their hospitality (and Josh's stories) for a mere $15 per night

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 01:10
Woody's Gap is safe for parking

daddytwosticks
01-06-2009, 08:38
Woody's Gap...Woody is a nickname. It should be Woodrow's Gap.

Sly
01-06-2009, 09:06
Y'all sure it's not Woody, like in being woody?

Spogatz
01-06-2009, 09:51
I would just make sure that you don't have anything of value laying around in the car so that it can be seen from the outside. If there's nothing there then there is no reason to break in. At least it will reduce your odds.

bloodmountainman
01-06-2009, 10:21
The parking is safe enough. Hwy.60 is well traveled and patroled as well as possible by county police.

Dances with Mice
01-06-2009, 11:39
Y'all sure it's not Woody, like in being woody?No, then it'd be Woody'ish Gap.

max patch
01-06-2009, 11:56
Woody Gap is like most places I park in GA:

1. I've parked there off and on over for 20 years and have never had a problem.
2. I've never seen a vehicle there that had been broken into.
3. I've heard of instances where vehicles have been broken into.

leprechaun
01-06-2009, 14:03
I left my car there for several nights last weekend, no problems at all. Even slept in the car. When I lived in Dahlonega we left cars there all the time with no problems. Even saw a ranger there Monday morning taking out the trash.

Bulldawg
01-06-2009, 14:22
I see a ranger or sheriff's deputy there about 1 out of ever 3 times I am there. Pretty well patrolled area. There are a lot worse places to leave your car on the trail

the_black_spot
01-20-2009, 12:22
Y'all sure it's not Woody, like in being woody?
named after arthur woody.

my girlfriend's car has been broken into here, and i live in this area. its funny how folks all over the country chime in to say that woody gap is a safe area to park. been there, once, twice? LOL

a car has been stolen from here, although it was almost immediately solved.

i still leave my car there, but i don't regard it as an automatic 'safe.'

the north georgia area has a thriving methamphetamine problem. it is popular for those who are high to ride around the mountain roads at night, as they are regarded as 'safe' by the meth heads as well. sometimes, they stop at overlooks, like the one at woody gap. hmmmm......

keep in mind that neither lumpkin nor union police forces are thrilled about patrolling the suches area, it is kind of grey zone....

max patch
01-20-2009, 13:02
I've parked probably every place there is to park in GA over the last 30 years and I've never had a problem anywhere. That said, I'm aware of many locations, including Woody, that have had break-ins during this time.

Given a choice between Woody and a FS road, I've always "felt" safer at a FS road. Locations like Woody offer the criminal the opportunity to do a quick "grab and dash" on the spur of the moment, whereas parking on a FS road 10 miles from asphalt makes the criminal "work" for his crime. And I think that criminals are too lazy to "work" for their crimes more often than not.

the_black_spot
01-20-2009, 14:26
i am with you on the forest road max. the only thing is that if a thief does come across it out there, he will feel very comfortable and take his time analyzing a break in.

Dances with Mice
01-20-2009, 15:25
i am with you on the forest road max. the only thing is that if a thief does come across it out there, he will feel very comfortable and take his time analyzing a break in.I'm with Max too but I think a thief at a parking lot is worried about returning hikers or other cars spotting him in a public area.

A thief on a FS road has to worry about returning hunters finding him in an isolated area. That's a whole different kind of worry.

the_black_spot
01-20-2009, 16:50
I'm with Max too but I think a thief at a parking lot is worried about returning hikers or other cars spotting him in a public area.

A thief on a FS road has to worry about returning hunters finding him in an isolated area. That's a whole different kind of worry.

good point. he may be relieved when he sees it is a sad ole hiker too.

Nearly Normal
01-20-2009, 20:33
See if the Hiker Hostel can help you out. It's close.

leprechaun
01-20-2009, 21:45
anyone breaking into a hiker's car must not know many hikers. Can't say that I've met many serious hikers that had much to take.

the_black_spot
01-20-2009, 22:09
anyone breaking into a hiker's car must not know many hikers. Can't say that I've met many serious hikers that had much to take.
you have already analyzed the situation more than the average teenager who is hopped up and breaking in cars at trailheads.