ball cap or some other hat
tent

Wearing
Zip off pants
socks
gaiters
undearwear (bike shorts)
Long sleeve rei shirt

Is 1 gator aide bottle and a 96zo foldup nalgene cantene enough for water?

ANy help Appreciated

Stick

Grimace
03-26-2004, 13:43
Good list...

With gaotrade and nalgene thingy you have 4 liters of water? That is plenty.

You've certainly thought of just about everything. Instead of hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes how about a small bottle of alcohol.

I know it's less than an ounce but when are you going to need to open a can?

Most people eat right out of the pot so you may want to leave the bowl behind. Use a rubber band instead of the mesh bag.

I don't think you need camp shoes, but that's up to you.

I'd recommend bringing a tiny pocket knife. The swiss army key chain thingy or the leatherman micra is perfect.

You're bringing 3 pairs of pants. Long Johns, rain pants, and zipoffs. Get some well ventilated rain pants and just a pair of jogging shorts (or kilt) and leave the zipoffs out. You'll only wear the rain pants if it is below freezing anyway.

Just minor stuff I guess. What did I save you? 2 oz :)

chris
03-26-2004, 14:45
As I always do, I would highly, highly recommend bringing earplugs. When you stay in a shelter (and you will), there will be snorers. You can either sleep poorly without the plugs, or spend a dollar and get a good night's sleep. Also, when you are sharing motel rooms or hostel rooms, you'll want the earplugs. Go to a hardware store and look in the safety section for the rubber (not foam) plugs.

Roee Dotan
03-27-2004, 06:58
I wonder if I should take another jogging pants expect my Zipoff pants.
Lets say I am doing laundry, what should I ware if I have only one Zipoff pants?

A-Train
03-27-2004, 15:01
9 oz of olive oil seems pretty excessive.
almost 6 oz of Doctor Bronners is a lot too. I would start with just an once or two in a little bottle. You'd be suprised how much mileage you can get out of a little bit. Same goes for hand soap.

When are you starting? This is pretty important. I see 20 degree bag plus a liner so I assume Feb/March?

You could save about 5 oz on an equinox pack cover, that'll be up to you once you're on the Trail.

If going with a soda can stove you certainly don't need a pound+ of denatured alcohol for the AT. It is in every town and outfitter now, I rarely carried more than 6 or 8 oz max. You could cut your pot weight in half with a titanuium pot, once again up to you to decide on $$.

Almost every thru-hiker starts with way too much first aid. As someone who has hiked the trail I'd say 6 oz of first aid is way more than I would budget, but its gonna have to be up to your personal choice. You'll have to carry it for awhile and see what you feel comfortable doing without. For some people they carry everything the whole way 'just in case' but the majority of dumb/risky thru-hikers take their chances, rely on the help of others or become resourceful with what they've got, in case of a heath issue. Remember you are never far from town.

Nice list and good luck.

Moose2001
03-27-2004, 17:35
Hey ATrain...good advice, as always. My, how times have changed. I remember way back in 2001 when you were first talking about doing the AT. Seems like I remember you were going to hike with this MASSIVE 6000 cu. in pack and a 5 pound sleeping bag. The things we learn on the trail!!!!

tribes
03-27-2004, 18:39
I wonder if I should take another jogging pants expect my Zipoff pants.
Lets say I am doing laundry, what should I ware if I have only one Zipoff pants?

While you are doing laundry you can always wear your rainpants/jacket while everything else is washing.