PDA

View Full Version : Hen Hike Question...NOT about the Hen Hike

Mud Butt
10-29-2008, 07:28
Hey ladies!! I have a question......
I rarely visit WB, so when I originally learned about the Hen Hike, it was through word of mouth. I was told that it was a project to have women hike the entire AT in one season. Not thru hikes, but a chain of women that would link up to form an all-woman coverage of the AT in one season. Does that make sense?
Anyway.....I now know that that was not the plan of the Hen Hike group. So, the question is, does anyone else out there think this is a fabulous idea? Logistically, it would be a nightmare!! But how cool would it be to have a long term plan to have women from all over the country join in. Some hiking just one day. Others doing a week? Women of all ages and ability levels?
It is an idea that I have been chewing on ever since I heard about the Hen Hike. I would never want to step on another womans toes, but if that is not the HH's purpose, and if I could garner up enough interest, I might look at some long term planning.
The idea goes right along with the Trail Dames idea, which is to get as many women out on the trail as possible. Especially women that have never been out there, or don't think they belong. Maybe I could get the Dove company to sponser it? :) It sure does go right along with their 'women and self esteem' ad campaign! :)
So would you women tell me what you think? I would love some input! Thanks!! Anna aka Mud Butt , www.traildames.com (http://www.traildames.com)

Mrs Baggins
10-29-2008, 07:59
I think it's grand! Once we get settled in Alexandria VA I would love to try to get more women on the trail, particularly ones who think they can't do it, it's too scary, etc. Count me in in whatever way I can help! :)

Blissful
10-29-2008, 08:55
Sounds like an interesting concept.

Spirit Walker
10-29-2008, 12:39
About 6 or 7 years ago there was a similar hike done with people on AT-L. It was called the HAT hike - Hands Across the Trail. We weren't involved (I think we were on the CDT then) but I remember reading about it online.

Anghiker
10-29-2008, 14:00
I was one of the women who was planning on hiking with the HH, but just a few days before I'm ready to fly down to Atlanta to meet up, my Mom got very very ill and I had to fly out west to care for her. She was able to recover but by then it was to late for me to join the HH.
I would love to be part of this.
I really don't like hiking alone and I'll stay home before I hike alone.
I was only going to go with the HH for about 3 weeks for a couple reasons.
You already know one. I'm very sensitive to the hot weather so hiking in April and the fall is better for me. I also don't want to be away from my family for months on end.
I would prefer to day hike but I will backpack, knowing that in some sections that's the easiest.
So, what ever I can do to help I'll be here.http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Red Hat
10-29-2008, 17:56
Sounds like a great idea to me! The Hands Across the Trail hike was all on one day, if I remember correctly. Someone hiking a section that adjoined someone else's section so the whole trail was covered in one day. Your idea to have women do the whole thing in sections sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Hammock Hanger
10-29-2008, 20:18
Sounds like a great idea to me! The Hands Across the Trail hike was all on one day, if I remember correctly. Someone hiking a section that adjoined someone else's section so the whole trail was covered in one day. Your idea to have women do the whole thing in sections sounds like something I'd be interested in.

It was one day and the hikers all took photos. I never did hear where those pics got posted.

I think MuddButt's idea is a great one.

River Runner
10-29-2008, 21:10
Sounds good to me. I'll participate if I'm free the day that is chosen.

Mud Butt
10-30-2008, 22:53
Hey ladies!!!
Thank you for your input!!! This project is definitley a go. I am putting together a board of directors as we speak and as soon as I have some details nailed down, I will let you know the details. Now does anyone know where I can get 2,000 + women?! :) :) Anna aka Mud Butt, www.traildames.com

SASSA-FRAS
10-31-2008, 14:01
Mud Butt- It's a great idea and I'll support your effort in anyway I can.

Good luck ladies, let's make this happen.

Roots
10-31-2008, 14:19
Hey Mud Butt--

First I want to thank you, again, from the bottom of my heart for the great food at Neels back in April. I can never tell you how great that was.

Second...I know that if anyone can pull this group of women together you can. Go for it! I'll be cheering for you the whole way. Let me know if I can help! :banana:sun

akaGrace
10-31-2008, 17:58
Hey ladies!! I have a question......
:)
So would you women tell me what you think? I would love some input! Thanks!! Anna aka Mud Butt , www.traildames.com (http://www.traildames.com)

Excuse if this posts twice. Anna, I think it is an awsome idea and would love to be a part of your plan. I am planning to attempt a thru again this spring starting about April 1. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Grace:sun

Smile
10-31-2008, 19:54
Sounds like a terrific idea! Go for it, and be sure to call upon me if you need any help in any way!

I like the way you think, MB! :)

Lellers
10-31-2008, 20:56
I love the idea!

JERMM
11-02-2008, 23:09
Mud Butt- let me know what I can do, you know how to reach me :clap

Lellers
11-07-2008, 00:39
I just wanted to add that I would be willing to cover part of PA. (That's right, I'm volunteering for PA! I'll even get on at Lehigh Gap just to prove I'm tough!) Maybe the new Trail Dames chapter up here can help coordinate coverage in PA.

Trillium
11-07-2008, 20:47
Hi MudButt!

I so enjoyed meeting you at Neel's Gap when you & the TrailDames were serving up those wonderful cheeseburgers! Thanks so much!

I plan on hiking on the AT at least 2 different weeks in 2009 so depending on your plans, I would love to join in.

I didn't have time to read more than a day or 2 of your TJ this year but I sent the link to my daughter because she is going to Peru on a class field trip in January 2009. She started grad school at the School at the Art Institute of Chicago in September.

Happy Hiking!

Lilred
11-08-2008, 00:14
Love the idea!! I'm starting at James River this summer. You can put me down for James River to the Virginia/Maryland line.

sylvia_claire
11-22-2008, 23:32
If you are accepting people new to the Forum I would volunteer from at least Kirkridge shelter (PA) to Sunfish pond (NJ).

- Sylvia

girlnextdoor
11-25-2008, 00:28
I would love to be a part of this. What a great idea!