PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Megalight vs. Ultralight

Johnny Swank
10-29-2008, 14:57
I'm planning on buying one of these bags, but I'm stuck right now. I could probably get away with the 30 degree Megalight for at least 75% of my hiking if the temperature rating is honest. The Ultralight would cover everything I do, but I'd roast in it during the summer. It's also a tighter bag, but it'd be unzipped most of the time anyway.

Any thoughts on either of these bags?

Mocs123
10-29-2008, 15:08
I have the Ultralite and have been very happy with it, and I also have the Summerlite, which is the narrower version of the Megalite, and although I am happy with it, isn't as conservative in its rating as the Ultralite. Personally, If I could only have one bag, it would be a full zip 20* bag. Sure it is a little too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter, but can be made to work in most situations I would encounter in the Southeast. The Alpinelite is the wider version of the Ultralite by the way, so if you want a wider bag, you might look at it.

Pootz
10-29-2008, 15:08
I use a WM bags for hiking and love them. I find them to to accurate with their temp ratings. They also have a little more room than some bags. I looked at the bags you mention but went with a 2 bag combination for my trip.

The bags I used for my thru hike were a versalite 10 degree and a caribou 35 degree
I went with the versalite for the extra warmth in the spring, and the caribou for the rest of the time. When either bag was to warm I just used them like a blanket, you can tuck the edges under you pad for more room when you do not need the extra warmth. Both bags are still in excelent condition, you might even think they are new.

Cool AT Breeze
10-29-2008, 15:09
I have the ultralight. I'm 5'9 and 150 lbs and it's almost tight. They are rated true.

Marta
10-29-2008, 15:20
The Ultralite is pretty snug on me. Have you tried one on?

I really like it. It's light and lovely.

Johnny Swank
10-29-2008, 15:21
Should have added that I've already got a 20-degree Marmot Sawtooth that I've thru-hiked in, but it's about 3 lbs.

Whatever bag I get is going on the first section of the PCT with us in a couple of years. We use a Sweetie Pie coupler with 1 bag for both of us. We used that setup on the Mississippi River and it worked out great. I'll probably sew a non-insulated coupler for the new bag.

John B
10-29-2008, 15:24
I have the WM Ultralight. I'm 6', 210 lbs and I feel like I can't move a muscle in it. I'm always worried that I'm going to bust out the zipper because it's so damned tight. I can barely get both arms inside. That's OK in warmer weather, but in cold weather it sucks. Too, I really don't think that the temp rating is accurate for me because it's stretched so tight and the loft is lesser than it should be.

I'm going to sell mine and get another bag. I would seriously encourage you to find one and literally get wearing what you would in cold temps with it zipped up. If you're my size, you might not like it.

Johnny Swank
10-29-2008, 15:25
I've been in a REI Sub Kilo that's got near the same dimensions, but will try out both WM bags this weekend. I'll probably end up with the Megalight, but this cool weather coming in has made me a wimp. I hate freezing my butt off, so I usually carry a down jacket in the fall-spring but rarely wear it.

Johnny Swank
10-29-2008, 15:27
I'm 6'2, and about 210 lbs. The Alpinelite is also another option if I go for the 20 degree bag, but there's no place locally that carries that particular bag.

Dogwood
10-29-2008, 15:42
I'm planning on buying one of these bags, but I'm stuck right now. I could probably get away with the 30 degree Megalight for at least 75% of my hiking if the temperature rating is honest. The Ultralight would cover everything I do, but I'd roast in it during the summer. It's also a tighter bag, but it'd be unzipped most of the time anyway.

Any thoughts on either of these bags?

I have the 17 oz. 35* rated 2005-2006 WM Highlight in the long version. I think WM has renamed the bag I own to one of the models you R now calling it. Many things can affect sleeping bag temp. ratings and sleeping comfort levels but, I've found WM to have some of the most accurately rated bags..... Like others have already expressed, do consider the fit, particularly in the shoulders, as these light wt. bags partly achieve there wts. and temp. ratings by being close fitting.

A-Train
10-29-2008, 15:58
You could always go with the Megalite and a liner.

I've owned an Ultra for years and have loved it to death. I'm 6'1+ and 200lbs and I've never felt uncomfortable

JERMM
10-29-2008, 16:03
I have the WM SummerLite and the Versalite, I can say they are the right bag for me. I'm a cold sleeper and I've been very happy with both. On my recent trip I took the Summerlite, rated at 32*, one night dropped to 30* and I was very warm and comfortable without having to add additional clothes to sleep in. On warmer nights I unzip it and use as a spread

bigcranky
10-29-2008, 17:33
I have used the Megalite for several years now, and my wife owned an Ultralite Super for about a year. They are both excellent bags, and you have pretty well summed up your choice -- wide vs narrow, 30-F vs 20-F.

I will say that I love my Megalite. It's warm right down to freezing with just light long johns, and there is enough room that I can wear heavier clothes and drape my down jacket over my torso when it gets cold. With that setup I've been comfortable down into the high teens.

Dragonfly sold the Ultralite in favor of a Montbell Super Stretch 30-F bag. She found the narrowness of the Ultralite confining -- she likes to pull her knees up inside the bag, and otherwise twist and flop around while sleeping. This leads to cold spots where she's compressed the bag with her knees or whatever. The Montbell does a better job with that sort of thing.

Either bag is fine in summer -- the full zip makes it into a nice light quilt.

pyroman53
10-29-2008, 22:58
I have the WM SummerLite and the Versalite, I can say they are the right bag for me. I'm a cold sleeper and I've been very happy with both. On my recent trip I took the Summerlite, rated at 32*, one night dropped to 30* and I was very warm and comfortable without having to add additional clothes to sleep in. On warmer nights I unzip it and use as a spread

Me too!! I have both. I LOVE the fact that the Summerlite is so freakin light and small...but its tight. You have to take the bag with you when you roll. Since I've always done this, its no problema. Take the Versalite when it looks like freezin temps.

take-a-knee
10-29-2008, 23:03
Get the Ultralite and make yourself a 40 degree quilt, that would cover your needs without compromise. Quilts rock when it's not going to freeze. Make it with a head-hole (like the JRB No-Sniveler) and you can leave your warm jacket at home during the warmer months.

Johnny Swank
11-07-2008, 09:53
I made a quick n' dirty down quilt (sewn thru) awhile back for a hammock underquilt. Should have stuffed more down in there, and it's not quite wide enough, but I still take it sometimes.

Tried on the bags. The Ultralight is ultratight, so I'll probably get it Alpinelite and call it a day. That'd cover everything I do, and it's only about 33 oz. I'll likely make another 40-degree-ish sewn-through quilt with better materials (and wider) that'll cover the summer months.

We use a (heavy) coupler now, but I think I can make a simple homemade one that'll weigh around 12 oz (insulated). That'd effectively put us under 3 lbs worth of sleeping bag for two people. Can't beat that.

ianjoe59
11-07-2008, 10:13
I needed a little more room than the Ultralite had to offer. My choices were between the Megalite and the Alpinelite. My wife and I both ended up deciding on the Alpinelite so we could try to get away with having one bag. Using a warmer bag as a quilt in the summer would work since they are both full zip. Both are top quality bags that are truer to their temp rating than most other bags.

earlylight
11-07-2008, 21:41
I've been in a REI Sub Kilo that's got near the same dimensions, but will try out both WM bags this weekend. I'll probably end up with the Megalight, but this cool weather coming in has made me a wimp. I hate freezing my butt off, so I usually carry a down jacket in the fall-spring but rarely wear it.

I sold my REI sub kilo and bought a WM Ultralight last year. Immense difference. I used to sleep cold.

I use the Ultralite in the summer too, but with a thinner sleeping pad, which helps we regulate my temperature better when it's warmer. I always sleep cold so having a 20 degree bag works fine for me.

Egads
11-07-2008, 22:13
I'm 6'2, and about 210 lbs. The Alpinlite is also another option if I go for the 20 degree bag, but there's no place locally that carries that particular bag.

You should choose the Alpinlite over the Ultralite since you are a big guy; so your decision really is 20* vs 30*.

IMO, you really need more than one bag for four seasons. I use quilts above ~40*, an Alpinlite to 20*, and a MB #0 below 20*, and can combine items for <0*.