PDA

View Full Version : how lonely am i going to be?

NewEnglandMiles86
10-29-2008, 21:44
First hello everyone just found this site and its great!

second my question is Im planing a long section hike this summer starting in Hanover in late may and heading south to the Delaware water gap (basicly walking home from college). My question is how empty will the trail be? i know there will be day hikers but is this time going to run me into any thru hikers?
Im not super worried about being alone im just interested

and again hello everyone!

Kirby
10-29-2008, 21:46
You'll run into thru's in NY and NJ for sure.

Kirby

JAK
10-29-2008, 21:47
Really cool idea hiking home from college.

Blissful
10-29-2008, 22:51
You'll see hikers but they will be heading north while you go south, so no lingering friendships along the way. But new faces.

Prepare for bugs galore which will be your main friends.

Peanut
10-30-2008, 07:27
I agree... you'll see people, but the thru hikers at least will be moving north. You probably won't see them more than once. Have a great time on your journey!

Jeff
10-30-2008, 08:59
Don't be put off with worries about bugs. Some years in Vermont June is bad, other years not so bad...you never know.

I would rather hike MA, CT, NY, NJ in June than when most thru's come along in the heat and humidity of summer.

Have a great hike!!!!!

Time To Fly 97
10-30-2008, 09:24
I soloed the whole AT and here is what I think. I think it is better to solo and you never really get lonely because it is fun to be alone too.

You never compromise on what you want to do
You are very open to conversations with anyone you meet
which leads to endless trail magic, good Kharma, and new friends
Easier to hitch when you need to
You will certainly meet north bound hikers in shelters and
brief fly bys on the trail
You will get to know yourself and be yourself
You will feed you spirit

It is just the best. If you are looking for good times, you will find them. Kinda comes down to attitude.

Happy hiking!

TTF

NewEnglandMiles86
10-30-2008, 10:10
thank you all for the well wishes! yea Im really excited to get started. Hard to imagine i still have 7 months to go

As far as bugs i grew up spending my summers in western Minnesota in lake country so bugs i can handle

Jim Adams
10-30-2008, 10:20
thank you all for the well wishes! yea Im really excited to get started. Hard to imagine i still have 7 months to go

As far as bugs i grew up spending my summers in western Minnesota in lake country so bugs i can handle
You already know how to handle black flys and mosquitos so you should be fine......everything else will be good.

geek