PDA

View Full Version : Bartram Trail

SweetT
10-30-2008, 11:29
I'm planning to have a weekend trip on Bartram Trail in a couple of weeks. going from Courthouse Gap to Rabun Bald, then come back to Courthouse Gap. And I want to camp on Rabun Bald for the night, is that a good idea? I mean, is there a campsite already on the bald? or are there a lot of people showing up on the bald? any answer would be appreciated.

Egads
10-30-2008, 11:59
Quite a few campsites already at the bald. There is no water there & it will be exposed (very windy), but it is a great view:D

Is it a good idea? You decide.

The Solemates
10-30-2008, 14:25
plenty of spots to pitch a tent, but no water. you could also sleep on the platform if wind doesnt bother you. i doubt there will be many people up there.

SweetT
10-30-2008, 16:11
sweet, i was actually planning to sleep on the platform. i am willing to pack more water and brave the wind for the amazing view i've been hearing so much about. Thanks!!

Bulldawg
10-30-2008, 16:50
I got a few pictures of the view on my gallery. I've never seen anyone up there. It is quite a haul for water, but you can do it if you set your mind to it.

SweetT
11-03-2008, 15:49
I have another quick question, how are the water sources looking around this time of year on Bartram Trail? between Courthouse Gap and Rabun Bald. anyone been on the section recently?

Egads
11-03-2008, 18:52
I don't recall the location of Courthouse Gap, but there were 3-4 water sources on the trail between Warwoman Dell & Rabin Bald about 3 weeks ago. I believe only 1 good source was flowing between the bald and the next section ~8 miles south.

Edit - I looked it up on a map and believe there is only 1 water source between Courthouse Gap & the bald.

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2008, 18:55
hey I helped build that platform

SweetT
03-10-2009, 10:34
smoky, that was a nice platform, i pitched my tent on top, and almost lost it to the wind. my buddy hung up a hammot using the corner of the rails, and had his butt about half an inch off the ground. it was ridiculous wind at night, it felt like getting slapped in the face through the tent wall. which made it just that much more fun. i'm going back again this weekend. which brings me to my question. I ran across a forrest service road at wilson gap last time, and some folks parked a car there. i'm thinking about doing that this time too. But i'm not sure how to access that forrest service road. and the weather forecast said it's gonna be raining all weekend, will the road become inaccessible for my 2 wheel drive suv? any ideas, guys?

SweetT
01-29-2010, 11:18
i hate to resurrect an old post, but i was trying to find out if the FS road at Wilson Gap, Tuckaluge Rd according to a map, is accessible by a 2 wheel drive vehicle? Thanks.

brian2o0o
02-17-2010, 10:42
The sections of the road that i've seen are gravel and look to be in pretty good shape. Wilson gap looked like a party spot for some of the locals