PDA

View Full Version : greasy creek hostle

twisted
10-30-2008, 15:49
sobos and section hikers and weekenders this is the spot on the trail to relax for a day or two good people good food an awesome break the neighbor is bonus entertainment:sun

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2008, 16:19
Miss CC is great. Great place if you can stand the annoying neighbor.

1azarus
10-30-2008, 18:21
...just talked with her today. great place to stop for water these days.

smokymtnsteve
10-30-2008, 18:34
does not packrat refer to the place as the greasy creek friendly?

Dogwood
10-30-2008, 21:27
Good place to stop for a quiet night in a hostel. Doesn't have all the amenities that some hostels have, but it's conveniently located to the trail and the price was right in 06 when I stayed there on my thru-hike. Enjoyed memorable time having Miss CC cook a healthy lunch and driving to Trail Days in Damascus with her.

stranger
10-31-2008, 02:21
Connie is a bit quirky in my view, the handwashing thing is a bit much, and she is very, very, passive aggressive in my experience. I actually wonder why she runs a hostel as she clearly doesn't enjoy it, I suspect she HAS to do it which would explain her behavior at times.

She also might try to make her cat "perform" for you, the cat doesn't do anything, it's obese and just wants more food, but it's kinda amusing. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this place considering how close it is from Erwin.

The neighbor is a twit, one hiker walked up to his fence while he was sitting on his tractor and pissed right in front of him - he turned off the tractor and went inside. Guess he got the point.

fehchet
10-31-2008, 05:03
I spent a week at Cee Cee's friendly late last fall helping with some repairs and building a couple of things. We went for bush whacking hikes each day finding old mining pits and ancient road ways leading over hill and dale. It was interesting discovering the lay of the land with all the leaves gone for the season and no snow. We got into some steep areas walking up to the ridge where the AT runs. Great exercise. Hikers stayed too. We cooked wonderful vegetarian meals too.
For sure a very enjoyable time.

Dogwood
10-31-2008, 10:01
Connie is a bit quirky in my view, the handwashing thing is a bit much, and she is very, very, passive aggressive in my experience. I actually wonder why she runs a hostel as she clearly doesn't enjoy it, I suspect she HAS to do it which would explain her behavior at times.

She also might try to make her cat "perform" for you, the cat doesn't do anything, it's obese and just wants more food, but it's kinda amusing. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this place considering how close it is from Erwin.

The neighbor is a twit, one hiker walked up to his fence while he was sitting on his tractor and pissed right in front of him - he turned off the tractor and went inside. Guess he got the point.

If U R looking for the perfect hostel or perfect people they don't exist. Sure, there R "colorful" people all along the trail with there own brand of "quirkiness" but that's part of what makes the trail such an "experience." My advice: don't overanalyze, go with the flow, enjoy the journey.

Bearpaw88
10-31-2008, 15:58
CC is great. Quirky yes, but that makes her unique. I had a great stay there this year and would reccomend the place as an alternative to staying a night in Erwin. Her cat Nemo is great!

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2008, 16:00
Maybe a good alternative in '08.

But unless I miss my guess, the top place to stay in or near Erwin next year will be Miss Janet's new place.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2008, 16:06
I know Scotty from Abby's Place has been renovating heavily this past summer to open for this coming hiker season. it's about 10 miles north of US 19 E in tennessee

Tennessee Viking
10-31-2008, 16:23
Maybe a good alternative in '08.

But unless I miss my guess, the top place to stay in or near Erwin next year will be Miss Janet's new place.So its true...She's been real quiet about it lately. Whats the details

Rain Man
10-31-2008, 22:24
My daughter and I stayed there a couple of nights while sectioning in '07.

Enjoyed our stay and CC went out of her way to accommodate us. Even bought special stuff on her shopping trip for us.

I'd recommend the place, based on our experience.

Rain:sunMan

Railroad King
11-01-2008, 00:14
It's a nice place. I stopped in for lunch after leaving Uncle Johnny's what must have been the day before. She was more than happy to cook me a great burger and she had Ben and Jerry's as well.

Egads
11-01-2008, 07:16
How far is the GCH from the trail?

Jeff
11-01-2008, 09:38
LW,

I have never been to Abby's Place. I was told the owner in getting up in years and was having a hard time running the hostel. True????

Rain Man
11-01-2008, 11:47
How far is the GCH from the trail?

It's right at half a mile, and the "access" trail is not well marked, but any hiker who has hiked from Springer can find it, I'm sure. There were directions nailed to a tree on the AT, so look for that if you don't already have them in advance.
:)

Feral Bill
11-01-2008, 12:09

Sounds like two twits to me.

At best.

chief
11-01-2008, 12:39
So its true...She's been real quiet about it lately. Whats the details

I'll ask at Uncle Johnny's when I'm up there next week.

whitelightning
11-01-2008, 13:46
I had a great stay at Greasy Creek Friendly this year. It is a bit of a walk off trail, but worth it IMO. CC was nice and I can understand how some people might find her quirky. But so what? She goes out of her way to accomodate hikers. She had everything there to make my stop worthwhile. Good sandwiches, Ben & Jerry's, sodas, etc. all for reasonable prices. I did not have the pleasure of meeting the neighbor, but I heard plenty about him while I was there. I stayed in Erwin as well, and would stay at both places if I were to do it again.

Kerosene
11-01-2008, 14:14
How far is the GCH from the trail?Stated at 0.3m trail west, down a blue-blaze, but I didn't visit.

Kerosene
11-01-2008, 14:16
LW,

I have never been to Abby's Place. I was told the owner in getting up in years and was having a hard time running the hostel. True????Bob Peoples at Kincora said that the owner died back in March and Abby's had been closed for 2008. He didn't mention any plans to re-open.

Egads
11-01-2008, 15:54
Does CC @ the Greasy Creek Hostel have an email address or phone #, or is she ok with drop ins?

Please PM me.

twisted
11-01-2008, 19:41
i would like too add that this is not erwin its a great stop also miss janet to my knowledge no longer has a place hope she does open another but in the mean time my preference is greasy creek friendly

twisted
11-01-2008, 19:48
she has a phone number or you could just drop in there is no problem with that you will be welcomed (828)688-9948

Egads
11-01-2008, 20:46
She has a phone number, or you could just drop in. There is no problem with that; you will be welcomed (828) 688-9948

Thank you

Lone Wolf
11-01-2008, 20:55
Bob Peoples at Kincora said that the owner died back in March and Abby's had been closed for 2008. He didn't mention any plans to re-open.

there are plans to re-open

Tennessee Viking
11-01-2008, 21:02
I'll ask at Uncle Johnny's when I'm up there next week.
I wouldn't say anything to Johnny. Thats Miss Janets competition.

chief
11-02-2008, 16:09
Ya think?

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 19:15

like he don't know :rolleyes:

stranger
11-03-2008, 01:52
For those who assume that I am looking for the perfect hostel, please be aware I am not, nor would I expect to find one along any trail.

Personally, I found Connie passive aggressive, and so did the other hikers that spent time at GCF that I met along that stretch. I appreciate her service to the hiker community, I appreciate all hiker services along the trail, but that isn't the point.

If someone provides a service for something, a hostel or otherwise, and lists benefits of utilizing that service in order to help or attract hikers (or make a few bucks) - call me crazy, but that person's behaviour shouldn't make hikers feel guilty for those very services they are paying for.

It's not a bad place, but considering how close it's located to Erwin, and my experience, as well as others I was with, I wouldn't recommend this place overall.

Rain Man
11-03-2008, 10:16
Here are a couple other Greasy Creek Friendly threads--

"Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36562&highlight=Greasy+Creek)

"Greasy Creek Friendly" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34936&highlight=Greasy+Creek)

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2008, 16:01
This is all sort of a moot point.

If Miss Janet does indeed re-open a facility next spring, as I hope she will, then it will certainly become the "go-to" place in Erwin, and will probably be the only stopping place most folks will need in that neck of the woods. Unless one is banged up or the weather is awful, most hikers don't need a layover every two days.

Jeff
11-03-2008, 16:13
Jack,

I agree with you that hikers shouldn't need a hostel every other day. :)

But, I saw many thru's this year take a day in Bennington, then a day in Manchester, then a day at the Twelve Tribes in Rutland. And all this is after a day at either the The Bird Cage or Tom Levardi's.

Whatever happened to the "Wilderness Experience"???? !!!!

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2008, 16:26
What happened is this:

*Hikers got soft.
*Most of the A.T. stopped being true wilderness a long time ago.

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2008, 17:30
pseudo-wilderness to boldy go where others with maps, guidebooks and really cool gear have gone before.

twisted
11-03-2008, 20:03
If thats the case baltimore jack why do you stay in hostles like all the time and i'll believe Miss Janet will open a place when i see it

slow
11-03-2008, 21:33
What happened is this:

*Hikers got soft.
*Most of the A.T. stopped being true wilderness a long time ago.

Jack, walking a path is not true W.:-?

Teatime
11-04-2008, 07:25
I stayed at the Greasy Creek Friendly during a section hike about 2 years ago, I think. I decided I didn't want to setup a tent in an approaching T-Storm so walked to the Friendly. CC was very nice and, well, friendly! She even offered me an ice cold Bud, which really hit the spot. We sat out on the porch and watched evening come on. It was very pleasant. I recommed the Greasy Creek Friendly.

If thats the case baltimore jack why do you stay in hostles like all the time and i'll believe Miss Janet will open a place when i see it What IS it with all the people in this thread who don't know how to spell "hostel"? Don't you people read? :p

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2009, 17:02
Wow, it was an old question but I'll answer it anyway.

Frst off, I don't always stay in hostels, and when I do, I'm usually staying outside somewhere, as I don't like shelters, bunkhouses, etc. And if I'm in a hostel, it's not necessarily for the hiker company; it's usually cuz the place is run by someone I really like.

And I don't stay in that many. If memory serves, on my last thru-hike, I stayed at Standing Bear (in a cabin 1/4 mile away from everyone else); at Miss Janet's (in the backyard); at Kincora (in a tent WAAAAY out back); 4 Pines (now closed, and anyway, I was in a tent); Tom Levardi's (in a tent); the Cabin (in an RV out back) and Monson (also a tent).

As I get older, I kinda prefer motels quite honestly.

And as to the guy who said he'll believe in Miss Janet's new place when he sees it, well with any luck that'll be next spring!!

Mango
11-14-2009, 17:17
I'm by CC's place about once a year, dropping off TM or wet hikers. She is always very friendly and courteous. If you're hiking up on the AT and see a sign that GC Friendly is closed (due to sickness, out of town, etc.) ignore it. Bill the crazy neighbor puts those up to hurt her business.