PDA

View Full Version : Superior Hiking trail in Minnesota

Erin
10-30-2008, 21:04
Our AT section group of seven hikers is looking at this trail for next summer. We would be interested in doing a 35 mile section in four days or five days and would like varied terrain...hills, views and hopefully a shuttle. We are looking at this area because one of our group moved to SW Minnesota and most of us can drive up there from here in a loooong day. Any suggestions on sections, time of year, weather, bugs, wildlife, anything about this trail from those of you who have done any of it will be appreciated. Due to several of our members having graduations and children in school, we are looking at June, July or August. We are all in our 40's and 50's and average 7-9 miles a day on hills. If there thare other suggestions in Minnesota or SE South Dakota, we would look at those options too. Thanks!

Dogwood
10-30-2008, 23:44
Our AT section group of seven hikers is looking at this trail for next summer. We would be interested in doing a 35 mile section in four days or five days and would like varied terrain...hills, views and hopefully a shuttle. We are looking at this area because one of our group moved to SW Minnesota and most of us can drive up there from here in a loooong day. Any suggestions on sections, time of year, weather, bugs, wildlife, anything about this trail from those of you who have done any of it will be appreciated. Due to several of our members having graduations and children in school, we are looking at June, July or August. We are all in our 40's and 50's and average 7-9 miles a day on hills. If there thare other suggestions in Minnesota or SE South Dakota, we would look at those options too. Thanks!

One of the highlights of the Superior Trl. is the waterfalls. I was planning thru-hiking this trail in 07, but due to low water volume or dry waterfalls I skipped it in favor of hiking nearby Isle Royale NP in Lake Superior. I didn't regret my decision. Isle Royale is the least visited NP, has well marked maintained trails, and abundant wildlife(including wolves, moose, and deer). The trails seem perfect for your mileage days and the hiking isn't that strenuous. The views from the crests of the rocky shorelines, the inland lakes(yes, lakes on an island in a lake, better yet IRNP boasts the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest freshwater lake in the world), and out across Lake Superior R BEEEautiful. U could combine a hike/portage trip of IRNP if that suits your boat. U would have to take a boat to/from IRNP from either Grand Portage MN(near the Superior Trl.) or the Upper peninsula in MI.

bulldog49
10-31-2008, 08:32
Here is a link for info on the trail. They have a really great shuttle system, easy to set one up.

http://www.shta.org/

I would suggest the section going north from the Finland trailhead. You have the opportunity to camp at Egge or Sonju lakes.

MOWGLI
10-31-2008, 09:13
I hope to hike a chunk of this next year. Maybe 100 miles in 7 days. Give or take. I'm always looking for trip reports. I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who have fished along the way. Looks like good Smallmouth Bass country.

jbone
10-31-2008, 09:36
The waterfalls cannot be missed. Another good resource is http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/index.html since the trail passes through 6 or 7 state parks. Gooseberry falls is always crowded, and Split Rock Lighthouse is a nice place to stop for lunch. Weather can still be quite cool in summer. I was up there in 2004 for Independence Day and highs were in 50s.

The Solemates
10-31-2008, 10:27
we've done a portion up north of duluth and near boundary waters, and really enjoyed that area.

RichardD
10-31-2008, 10:43
I through hiked the trail this last June. I have a journal on Trailjournals. It was a good trail to hike. Water is plentiful and the Shuttle makes for convenient section hiking.
All sections were great except for the 5 miles or so South of Grand Marais (very swampy and trillions of mosquitoes) and the most Northern section (clearcut forest).
The trail is incredibly well marked so only a small map such as the four maps sold by the SHT Association are needed to show the location of trail, roads and campgrounds. Most hikers carried the trailguide which is a bit heavy but contains lots of information.

IceAge
10-31-2008, 12:45
I hiked southbound from Caribou Falls to Castle Danger this past July, can't wait to get back at it! Check out the other threads on this trail in the North Country Trail forum here on WB.

I hiked in late July and it was still plenty chilly at night (mid 40s), so that may be a factor for any cold sleepers in the group.

map man
11-01-2008, 21:38
I hiked the whole trail NOBO in 2006 and SOBO in 2007, and hiked all but about 40 miles of it again this spring, so I know the SHT pretty well. I predict you will love this trail. Many sections of it would meet your qualifications, but the most consistently cool scenery of any 35 mile stretch, for my money, is the 34.9 miles from Gooseberry Falls State Park to Tettegouche State Park. Lots of views of rivers, waterfalls, inland lakes, and of course the BIG lake itself.

In the three months you are looking at, the Superior Shuttle makes regular stops at both of these parks on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. You can visit the shuttle web site from the SHT web site bulldog49 linked to. In those months, if things are pretty dry the mosquitoes might not be so bad in summer, and if it's been wet recently they will be a force to reckon with! But you wouldn't go to the woods of northern Minnesota without your DEET anyway, I'm assuming:D.

You ask about wildlife. In the last three years I've seen one moose, two adult bears and two cubs, around a dozen deer, and without a doubt my wildlife highlight -- I got to hear a group of wolves howling in the distance at dusk one night -- quite a thrill (and the spot where I was lucky enough to hear them, near Palisade Creek, happens to be covered by the particular 35 mile stretch I have recommended).

Erin
11-02-2008, 22:02
Thank you so much! What incredible posts and information. I can't wait to share all of them with our group. I will check back to see if there are other suggestons. Richard D. are your trailjournals under Ricard D?

SonrisaJo
11-30-2008, 12:19
I have to recommend the sections around Finland, Minnesota. The Section 13 views are incredible and Sonju Lake is one of the coolest campsites on the trail, and it's an area full of wildlife.
I saw a wolf near Devil Track north of Grand Marais and a moose near Hovland, those would be another great section to hike.
If you want to avoid massive crowds, stay away from state parks on weekends (except Crosby-Manitou, which I have never seen crowded).
All in all, I can't think of a single part of the SHT that I didn't enjoy. The trail is well-marked and well-maintained and it's all beautiful.