PDA

View Full Version : PATC - NoVA/DC

Mrs Baggins
10-31-2008, 05:46
Since we're moving up to northern VA (Alexandria) we went ahead and joined PATC, the No. VA/DC chapter. Just wondering if any other WBers are members. We want to get involved in trail and shelter maintenance and anything else we can do to help out. Hope to meet some of you there! :sun

NICKTHEGREEK
10-31-2008, 06:14
Since we're moving up to northern VA (Alexandria) we went ahead and joined PATC, the No. VA/DC chapter. Just wondering if any other WBers are members. We want to get involved in trail and shelter maintenance and anything else we can do to help out. Hope to meet some of you there! :sun
There are 5 PATC chapters, none are called the No. VA/DC chapter

Mrs Baggins
10-31-2008, 06:34
There are 5 PATC chapters, none are called the No. VA/DC chapter

Well, when I joined on-line about a week ago it asked me which chapter I wanted to join and it did list one for that area and called it that. So I don't know what to tell you --- I was following the on-line directions.

Mrs Baggins
10-31-2008, 06:43
Could be it showed the various chapters and pointed out which one was most suited to people LIVING in the NoVA/DC area. And I checked off that one. Hardly makes any difference, does it, as long we are members in good standing and actually get out there and participate.

Furlough
10-31-2008, 06:48
Welcome to PATC regardless of which area you choose to volunteer in. The Newsletter of the PATC has a clendar of events called Forecast that will list the current month and the following months planned Hiking Trips, Backpacking Trips, Trail Work Trips, Cabin/Shelter Work Trips, Special events, Meetings, etc. This can also be found on the web site. Again welcome to PATC and to NOVA.

Furlough

NICKTHEGREEK
10-31-2008, 07:33
Well, when I joined on-line about a week ago it asked me which chapter I wanted to join and it did list one for that area and called it that. So I don't know what to tell you --- I was following the on-line directions.
Just thought you might want to know which chapter you joined, the web site and forums are helpful

Mrs Baggins
11-01-2008, 20:25
Just thought you might want to know which chapter you joined, the web site and forums are helpful

No worries. :D Didn't mean to come off snippy. I'm deeply busy in getting moved and I tend to get tired and testy. Right now I'm up here in our newly leased townhouse, no furniture, sitting on the floor. Hubby moved in early (sleeping on a BA Mat) to save hotel costs and I brought our cats up from SC Friday. I have to face the 9 hour drive back on Monday and get back to getting that house ready for the movers.

Can't WAIT to get settled and get started with the PATC and planning hikes for next year! :banana

Nicksaari
11-01-2008, 20:35
Northern Va makes me want to vomit and then eat it and vomit again, and perhaps a third time. i want nothing to do w the geographic location; the only reason im a member is to rent the exclusive members only cabins, and to perform trail maintenance and cabin restoration. good ppl in the group. benton mckay (sp?) was a founding member.
northern va will appropriately meet its demise eventually, as we all will.

Nicksaari
11-01-2008, 20:37
i am a proud member, despite my discrepancy with Nova/DC. a proud PATC member and ODATC member. i stab backs

NICKTHEGREEK
11-03-2008, 09:06
Northern Va makes me want to vomit and then eat it and vomit again, and perhaps a third time. i want nothing to do w the geographic location; the only reason im a member is to rent the exclusive members only cabins, and to perform trail maintenance and cabin restoration. good ppl in the group. benton mckay (sp?) was a founding member.
How sad to be so bitter so young. It sounds like the location had no use for you either. Wanting to eat your own regurgitated food once is aberrant, twice is most likely very serious. Maybe you should seek professional help.

Nicksaari
11-03-2008, 19:31
you've got it all figured out sir

Mrs Baggins
11-03-2008, 20:04

By age 25 I had lived in California (my first 20 years), Massachusetts, Berlin Germany (when The Wall was still up), Augsburg Germany, Arizona and back to California for a few years. Since then I've lived in Arizona a 2nd time, Oregon, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina twice, Maryland, and Montreal Canada. Been through 47 of the states (not Vermont, Rhode Island or Maine). And 18 countries (not counting Canada). And I LOVE Virginia. All of it - north and south. Get out and see the world and then see what you think of Virginia. Maybe you'll still hate it..........but then again maybe it won't look so bad either. My daughter was born in California and is very happy now in Virginia (age 27). My son was born in Georgia and for him Maryland is home (age 22).

Forrest Phil
11-04-2008, 10:37
Welcome to PATC and the area. There are several good work crews in the club. Most work in a fixed geographic area. I get out with the Cadillac crew as often as possible. They work all over. Check PATC's website for info on each crew, or, send a PM if you like.

Sidewinder
11-05-2008, 22:35

:clap BRAVO Nicksaari, sounds like you're giving Mrs Baggins is getting a taste of her own medicine. :clap

Long feet
12-22-2008, 19:40
Not a PATC member, but a hiker in the region. I just hiked by the Blackburn Trail Center and the Bears Den yesterday on a section hike. Really nice facilities. Even though both were closed, I can see why you would want to be a member. The Bears Den was a virtual castle, stone turrets and all. The BTC had a solar water heater for their shower, very slick. Anyway, if you are ever interested in going on a hike, please let me know.

Jesse