PDA

View Full Version : 7-10 Day Hike suggestions please.

Evil Eye
10-31-2008, 09:20
Am looking for suggestions for a 7-10 day hike on the Florida Trail during early December. I've ordered the LD guide books - just haven't received them yet & hoping for some wisdom from those of you who are familiar with the Florida trail.

Had thought maybe the northern most section - Hwy 331 west ? Elgin AFB open? Much road walking? Good choice? I like the idea of the beach hike near the end - but wonder how "away from civilization" this section is.
Also hear the Ocala Nat Forest area is one of the best.

What sections would you suggest to minimize road walking & wading, be scenic & interesting, be away from "civilization" a bit - but with easy access, shuttles ?, etc. You know - the best of all possibilities.

I thru'd the AT in '07 & know this is a much different tail - hoping for info the lazy way - by seeking suggestions from you who are familiar with it & then putting together a great adventure.

Thanks for your help - Be Safe,

Evil Eye

BumpJumper
10-31-2008, 22:09
Evil.
Honestly, go to floridahikes.com
Sandy knows everything you need. She is awesome.

floridahikes
11-08-2008, 23:37
BJ, you are awesome for the referral. Thanx!
EE, I've been out of town for a few weeks. Catching up. To answer some of the above:
1) Only parts of the beach are "away from civilization" : from where the pavement ends in Navarre Beach out west to UWF Dunes Preserve, and then again from pavement end at the entrance to Ft Pickens to Ft Pickens itself. In between, it's a spring break destination and lots of beach homes. No good camping the whole stretch, stealth only til you get to the official campground at Ft Pickens.

2) 7-10 day trips I'd recommend per your requirements:
* Ocala, of course. 72 miles end to end from Clearwater to Buckman. No permits needed. Great springs for swimming. Store 88 to hang out at. Minimal resupply.

* Cross FL Greenway from Pruitt east through Ocala and Silver Springs. 32 miles. Then a 3 mi or so roadwalk to the FT Western Connector in the Ocala. Wilderness and not well maintained, wet in spots between SR 40 and CR 314A and then bone dry. Shoots you up to Store 88 area, total 60 miles or so.

* Nokuse just opened. Start N of Bruce and head west through Nokuse and Eglin. It'll take a week to get to Crestview. You do need a permit for Eglin. Wild places, old growth trees, sound of bombs being dropped...

* Suwannee section has minimal roadwalk or swamp unless the river floods. You do need to be an FTA member as it crosses lots of private land. Go from Morrell Drive east to s end of Twin Rivers SF. A good week's hike.

* If you can time it right (since the USAF only opens Avon Park FT section on weekends, and not always), Hickory Hammock to Bull Creek is a long and wild section with a couple short roadwalk connectors in the middle.

* And there's the walk around Okeechobee. It's a loop, you won't get your feet wet, and you can stop often for beer. 9-10 days.

Have fun out there!
Navigator

Evil Eye
11-09-2008, 11:34
Navigator -

Many thanks - looks like there are several good alternatives to explore.

While my trail name is Evil Eye - I was referred to as the/a "navi-guessor" on the AT in '07 by the gang I was hiking around. Your advice is likely much more accurate than mine!

All the best -

Evil Eye
GA -> ME '07

BumpJumper
11-09-2008, 16:53
Tom if you get into the Ocala National Forest area, look me up. There are three of us that can hike a little with you or help you out if you need it.