PDA

View Full Version : Trail Names

Cuffs
10-31-2008, 10:02
I know how trail names are bequeathed to hikers, but what I cant seem to find is how trail names got started. Does anyone have any info or links to the history of trail names? (Not names of trails...)

Lone Wolf
10-31-2008, 10:18
i named myself

Wilson
10-31-2008, 11:08
cb radio handles made it cool.

Wilson
10-31-2008, 11:09
like rubber duck and big ben

Lugnut
10-31-2008, 11:36
Earl Shaffer was dubbed 'The Crazy One' so maybe that's how it started. That is probably not true, but it's a good guess.

adventurousmtnlvr
10-31-2008, 13:39
I don't know the proper response either but my 'guess' is Egyptian or Native Tribe of some sort ... perhaps earlier than that! ?? interesting question

Spogatz
10-31-2008, 13:40
Some people just seem to get some crazy names.....

adventurousmtnlvr
10-31-2008, 13:46
Some people just seem to get some crazy names.....I like those best! They make me smile :) Probably it's something they do a lot on a trail, or some expession they proclaim that causes them to be 'given' to a person. ie: smelly, funny, a piece of clothing they are known for, past job, want to be job (lol), fantasy land name; or perhaps they 'wonder' off alone ... it's endless! But as for origin .... humm ... probably from the beginning of time 'who knows' is the question :)

Gray Blazer
10-31-2008, 13:46
A Native American child asked his father the same question. The father responded saying, "We name our children as they are born after the first thing we see like Running Buffalo or Red Sunset. Why do you ask, Two Dogs ****ing?"

TJ aka Teej
10-31-2008, 14:19
It started with Earl, as mentioned above. Seemed to me that more nicknames started when more hikers hit the woods in the 70s. "Have you seen Joe?" "Which Joe? Tall Joe, Joey Garcia, or New York Joe?" There's also the alias factor, where folks leave an identity -and name- behind.

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 01:43
Why do you ask 'stinky pants'?

Serial 07
11-07-2008, 03:14
the more i get into the trail, the more i like the alias factor...the trail is another world and i think that other world is deserving of a new name...it's funny when hearing your birth name becomes unusually and that's what you have to re-adjust to...to be honest, i don't mind the name serial...the only down side is when i have to say, "like the killer, not the box..." people always seem to make a face...

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 08:10
the more i get into the trail, the more i like the alias factor...the trail is another world and i think that other world is deserving of a new name...it's funny when hearing your birth name becomes unusually and that's what you have to re-adjust to...to be honest, i don't mind the name serial...the only down side is when i have to say, "like the killer, not the box..." people always seem to make a face...

i'm proud to have dubbed you serial :)

Mrs Baggins
11-07-2008, 08:16
Mine was given to me. I love it. I "disappear" into when I'm on the trail. I don't introduce myself any other way and it's always fun when someone I've never met before says "I know you!" because of WB or other related websites or from trail registers. It's my "other me."

CowHead
11-07-2008, 08:25
Same hiking with friends I removed my cap and my hair stuck-up in the back one friend yelled Cowlick at the same time a under the influence friend yelled cowhead therefore the name was born. Maybe folks should explained how they came or was given their name..Alot of funny stories to tell

Roots
11-07-2008, 08:31
I have no idea the origin of trail names. If you find out, Cuffs, let us know. :)

I know that my trail name is basically my name. Someone can call for me using my real name and I wouldn't know who they were talking to.

generoll
11-07-2008, 12:45
nicknames seem to become a fact of life whenever you're in a distinctive community. When I finished my basic and AIT and got shipped to my new unit many years ago I got a nickname which I hated but had to live with. They had name tags sewn to our uniforms, I guess so we wouldn't get lost. My last name is Roll (pronounced rawl) and as I walked into my new barracks and dropped my duffel bag on the floor some guys had their footlockers pushed together playing penny ante poker. This was in the days when a private made $80 a month and they really were playing for pennies. I introduced myself as they looked up and one guy sees my name tag. he goes, "oh, role. like a doughnut". So for the rest of my time in the service there it was.

which of course has nothing to do with trail names, but i suspect any small community has similar habits and an army platoon certainly qualifies as a small community.

Lion King
11-07-2008, 13:46
I was born in Africa, thus making my uncle Scar the second in line to the throne. Scar plots with some hyenas to kill my Dad, King Mufasa thus making himself King. The King is killed and I was led to believe by Scar that it was my fault, and so I fleed the kingdom in shame. After years of exile with a meer cat and a wart hog. I was persuaded to return home to overthrow the usurper and claim the kingdom as his own thus completing the "Circle of Life".

basically.

Wilson
11-07-2008, 15:37
Sorry about your dad..he should have stopped climbing once he was safely above the wildebeest...Pity.

middle to middle
11-07-2008, 16:15
When asked where I was hiking I said the AT middle to middle since I started at Penmar Pa. Some hiker was delighted to find out I did not have a trail name and with middle to middle fresh in the conversation they dubbed me that.

No Belay
11-07-2008, 23:06
When I first hiked the AT in 1971 very few long distance hikers (very few thrus back then) had trail names or tags. After I got out of the service in 78 almost all the thrus had em. I think they were a natural progression as the long distance hiker community increased in popularity and size. Most of the names then were pretty simplistic and usually described a visual, or behavivoral aspect of their owners so were easier to remember than a worldly name. I lived on beans and white cheese while on the trail so it was not a big surprise when I got tagged as Dragonass.

Savor Happy!

Cuffs
11-07-2008, 23:55
Ok, does no one read any more? Im not looking for the history of YOUR trail name... Im looking for how/why trail names came about... thanks for playing.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2008, 00:24
Ok, does no one read any more? Im not looking for the history of YOUR trail name... Im looking for how/why trail names came about... thanks for playing.

obviously nobody knows. drop it. NGAS :)

No Belay
11-08-2008, 12:37
obviously nobody knows. drop it. NGAS :)

Damm Wolf, You would make a great mod. Have you ever considered moderating a site? If you ever do, you have my vote.

TaTonka

superman
11-08-2008, 13:13
Some folks have given good guesses about the origin of trail names in other threads. I personally don't care where trail names started from. I do find it interesting where some of the folks got their trail names. I'm not surprised that some have a military origin.

saimyoji
11-08-2008, 13:44
i hired 1000 monkeys typing on 1000 typewriters for 1000 years....they finally came up with the perfect trail name....

Flush2wice
11-08-2008, 21:06
Mine was given to me. I love it. I "disappear" into when I'm on the trail.
And maybe because your short?

Monkeyboy
11-08-2008, 23:32
i hired 1000 monkeys typing on 1000 typewriters for 1000 years....they finally came up with the perfect trail name....

........but the pay sucked.

Dwarftard
11-09-2008, 00:06
:datz:datz:p:confused::confused::banana:jump:clap: bse:cool::mad::eek::):-?:sun:rolleyes::jump
i got me name be cause ima not too smart and ima short

gungho
11-09-2008, 00:23
:datz:datz:p:confused::confused::banana:jump:clap: bse:cool::mad::eek::):-?:sun:rolleyes::jump
i got me name be cause ima not too smart and ima short

Ok, I will bite, Just how short and dumb are you:-?

Mr. Clean
11-09-2008, 13:14
You shouldn't feed him, Gungho.