PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!

dje97001
03-27-2004, 15:13
I just ordered one of Henry Shires' Tarptent Cloudbursts! This is my first big purchase on the road to a lighter load. I can't wait to get it.
:banana:banana:banana

Footslogger
03-27-2004, 16:19
dje ...way to go. Been looking at the Henry Shire tarptents as well. Looking forward to getting your feedback once the tent arrives.

dje97001
03-30-2004, 09:19
will do. I'll let you know! It's starting to warm up in CT again, and that means it will be perfect for the tarptent once it gets here!

dje97001
05-17-2004, 20:34
So the rumors about Henry's customer service are dead-on. I had a small concern with something on my tent, and he swapped it for another one in no time, sight-unseen. Okay, now the tent...

Initially, I was really surprised how light and small this thing is. I know his website tells you the weights, but seriously, this being my first lightweight shelter, I was still surprised. The tent has 2 shock-cord poles (1 for the front and 1 for the back) and comes with 4 stakes (stored in a separate little pouch). The instructions aren't really necessary if you have seen the pictures of it online, but they are detailed nonetheless.

Speaking of the directions, they list the setup time to be between 2 and 3 minutes with practice. Frankly, unless my watch is slow... this estimate is VERY high. Yes, it will take you about this much time the first time to set it up. Why? Because it takes that long for your wife/other people participating in the process to tell you to "stop admiring the design and just finish putting it up already." Anyway, I have now put it up 3 times, and now am down to just over a minute (75 seconds maybe?)--again, it is possible that my watch has slowed way down, but I doubt it.

As far as space goes, it fits my wife and me very well. I am 5'10" and I feel like my feet are well contained within the space provided, but I don't know how much taller I could be before feeling like my feet were hanging out... Though truthfully, I rarely sleep in anything but a slight fetal position (I'm a side sleeper) and I shouldn't have any problems whatsoever--the length I am referring to is when I am on my stomach and have my feet outstretched too.

I don't really think that we could also place our gear inside, unless it was placed on the extra netting that surrounds the sewn in floor. If I had to guess, I would say that the solid floor footprint is around the size of a full mattress--pretty roomy for an ultralight shelter for two.

Once it is up, the sides definitely flap a little in the wind, but obviously the more tension you apply to the guylines, the less slack in the material, and the less it flaps. I think that with practice in setting it up, I will be able to much more aptly apply the proper tension.

Anyway, this thing is cool. If you want pictures, I can post some, but really the ones that he provides (www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com/)) are more than sufficient to see most of the tent. So far, so good... this tarptent was definitely worth the cost.

c.coyle
05-18-2004, 07:37
So the rumors about Henry's customer service are dead-on. I had a small concern with something on my tent, and he swapped it for another one in no time, sight-unseen.

I e-mailed my Cloudburst order in Fall '03, and told him I'd pay by check. When it was ready, he shipped it to me unannounced, without requesting advance payment!

2XL
05-18-2004, 08:11
I too have been looking at the tarptents, but have been waiting to order one until I can see one up close on the trail.
My concern is the interior length, as I am 6'4".
At 5'10" are you saying there is not enough room for someone taller? How about when you are alone in the middle of the floor?
Hopefully I will pass one on the trail this year, so I can take a good look.
By the way dje, what part of CT are you from?

dje97001
05-18-2004, 08:27
I imagine that if you slept on the diagonal, you could probably do it, or, if like me, you tend to curl up a bit at night, then possibly it could work. I think that Henry would be the person to ask--he acts as though his reputation is key, and as a result I think he would probably tell you who it was designed for, and also could probably put you in touch with some other tall hikers who may have used his tent. I don't know if he lists a height limit...? But I would email him the question. I've also read (on whiteblaze I think) that some people have had a demo tent sent to them so that they could try before buying... maybe something to ask about.

I'm from northeastern CT... right near Storrs. How about you?

2XL
05-18-2004, 08:38
Thanks for the reply. I will send Henry an e-mail.
I am from Ridgefield.