PDA

View Full Version : Practical Maildrops

DapperD
10-31-2008, 19:16
I know this is discussed in the resupply articles that have been thoughtfully written, however I was wondering from people who have successfully thru-hiked and mostly purchased their food along the way, in retrospect, in what places would they feel someone would truly benefit the most by sending himself food/supplies( I believe I read Fontana Dam before entering GSMNP would be very practical. Also want only post offices in towns). Thanks

rafe
10-31-2008, 19:54
As the years go by, thru-hikers are depending more and more on local, relatively frequent resupply, and fewer mail drops. Mail drops can tie you down in all sorts of ways. Use them if you have special dietary preferences or requirements -- but most folks on the AT nowadays minimize the use of mail drops for food. Bounce boxes are still common, and I haven't seen any alternative to mail drops (or bounce box) for steady, reliable source of maps.

Blissful
10-31-2008, 22:05
In some places there are convenience stores only to reupply where you can spend twice as much on food and with limited variety. Makes more sense to me to send a drop with good nutritious food you need. $2.50 for Lipton sides is a bit steep. But that's me.

Possibilites that come to mind for a drop -
Harpers Ferry - ? can take a bus to Charles Towne, not sure how much the outfitter has in stock.
Port Clinton, PA (unless you go into Hamburg)
DWG (again, you have convenience stores unless you take a bus to E Stroudsburg)
Glencliff, NH (convenience store in town, but that's it).

mikec
10-31-2008, 22:20
I never really thought about this but you are correct. There are almost always some kind of short or long term resupply place near a post office on the AT. The only town that I have come across so far (between Springer and North Adams) that does not apply is Tyringham, MA. All that is in that town is a post office and a B&B.

However, if one considers costs savings or particular needs such as medicine, ear plugs, lightweight freeze dried food or clean underwear, maildrops are still, in my opinion, the way to go.

lonehiker
10-31-2008, 23:16
I sent a mail drop to Fontana Dam. But, the store there had a very good selection of food. Would simply re-supply there if I were to go through again.

garlic08
10-31-2008, 23:20
I through hiked this year with zero food drops. I would do the same thing again.

I got lucky near Fontana Dam and got a ride into Robbinsville (real grocery store) from Stecoah Gap, resupplied for the Smokies there. I had to carry it an extra 15 miles, but it was worth it, I thought. (I'm not sure why Robbinsville isn't better known as a trail town, it was great.)

smaaax
11-02-2008, 22:07
I got a mail drop at Fontana this year, and nowhere else. Didn't need it anywhere else, and could have gotten by in Fontana.

Harper's Ferry - Boonsboro is ~18 miles further and has supermarkets
Glencliff - skip and go into Lincoln/Woodstock a few miles further
Port Clinton - hitch to hamburg, or go further to pottsville and visit the Yuengling Brewery:banana
DWG - there are towns close by north and south on the trail

Pony
11-02-2008, 23:21
I almost ran out of food in GSMNP. Not because the resupply was inadequate at Fontana, but because I didn't buy enough. If you are that low on food, you can always get to Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap. Cost is another issue, I've found most places on or very near the trail to have inflated prices.

Footslogger
11-03-2008, 00:03
I know this is discussed in the resupply articles that have been thoughtfully written, however I was wondering from people who have successfully thru-hiked and mostly purchased their food along the way, in retrospect, in what places would they feel someone would truly benefit the most by sending himself food/supplies( I believe I read Fontana Dam before entering GSMNP would be very practical. Also want only post offices in towns). Thanks
============================

Due to the opening (and closing) of businesses along the trail it varies from year to year. But based on everything I've read since my thru in 2003 (during which I pretty much bought everything along the way) I would still use the following FOOD maildrops:

Harpers Ferry, WV
Bear Mountain, NY
Glencliff, NH

The reason I used maildrops in those locations in 2003 (and would again) is that access to long term re-supply is not very convenient. Everywhere else it is possible to conveniently and fully re-supply for 4 - 6 day intervals.

'Slogger

superman
11-03-2008, 07:46
When I started the AT I tried to get Winter's dog food mailed to us. The post office was too erratic. We re-suppied the rest of the trail from local stores. I had no problem with local re-suppling.

superman
11-03-2008, 07:50
also.... I planned ahead using my Thru-Hikers’ Companion. I had intended to use Wingfoot's book. I ordered it September of 99 and it didn't come in until I was well into my hike. I also kept a few extra ramens in my pack because they are light and they could give me an extra day if I needed it.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2008, 15:21
1. Make sure that the P.O. will be open and accepting hiker mail before sending anything
to Bear Mountain.
2. Unless you plan on getting into Robbinsville, a drop at Fontana is probably still a good
idea, tho the food selection there is much better than it used to be.
3. Food selection (and prices!!) at the NOC are still unfortunate, so a small drop here
might be in order.
4. A lot of people get to the big markets in nearby Charles Town, but I still think most
folks might want to send stuff to the ATC office in Harpers Ferry.

Kirby
11-03-2008, 17:45
1. Fontana Dam.

2. Standing Bear hostel to get you to Hot Springs, NC.

3. Harper's Ferry,WV: Might as well, although if you plan to go into Charlestown, don't bother.

Kirby

Jah
12-28-2008, 17:52
Is there not adequate re-supply at Standing Bear to get by until Hot Springs?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2008, 17:53
Is there not adequate re-supply at Standing Bear to get by until Hot Springs?

yes there is

Blissful
12-28-2008, 17:56
You can resupply there.

Jah
12-28-2008, 18:00
Great, thank you.

Jah
12-28-2008, 18:14
What would be the most practical maildrop between Damascus and Harpers Ferry? I'm looking at doing either 1 or 2 maildrops throughout this section. Are there any tough or expensive areas harder to re-supply at?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2008, 18:18
somewhere between troutville and waynesboro

Lion King
12-28-2008, 18:27

Easy and cheap to resupply as you go along.

Mail out only special foods or items you cant get anywhere else, otherwise you waste your beer money on postage.

weary
12-30-2008, 14:41
In 93 I tried to minimize my town time, by aiming for six days before resupplying. I went through the data book and chose between mail drops and buying locally depending on whether a decent resupply store or a post office was closest to the trail.

It worked quite well. I think if I were to hike again, however, I would rely more on local sources. First there seems to be considerably more good sources of resupply now than existed 16 years ago. Second I found I enjoyed talking to local people in trail downs.

Weary

Bare Bear
01-02-2009, 04:50
I used 22 on my 06 Thru. Never again. Terrapin said it all.