PDA

View Full Version : Rayway,Ray Jardine pack,adding features?

mudcap
10-31-2008, 22:46
I have a Rayway pack I love. I am passing it along to my son. He used it the other day on an overnighter. Fit him quite well,but he mentioned the addition of a sternum strap and a hipbelt would be great. Have any of you done this modification? Curious on your thoughts. Thanks for any input.

trouthunter
11-01-2008, 19:02
Then it is a "your way pack"!

just joshing, no I haven't done the mods.

Tobiah
11-01-2008, 19:43
I've made a few homemade packs, and here's what I've done: Wal-Mart sells the webbing/buckles cheap, and it's easily sewable... also, the blue foam sleeping pads are easily cut with scissors to hip-belt dimensions; then you can sew nylon or whatever around the foam and sew a strip of webbing along it... admittedly this all takes some sewing ability, but I taught myself and have made decent progress... its just a matter of careful planning so things progress in the right order. Every time I made a pack or modified one, I learned something to do different.

mudcap
11-01-2008, 20:31
I've made a few homemade packs, and here's what I've done: Wal-Mart sells the webbing/buckles cheap, and it's easily sewable... also, the blue foam sleeping pads are easily cut with scissors to hip-belt dimensions; then you can sew nylon or whatever around the foam and sew a strip of webbing along it... admittedly this all takes some sewing ability, but I taught myself and have made decent progress... its just a matter of careful planning so things progress in the right order. Every time I made a pack or modified one, I learned something to do different.

Tobiah, You nailed it. I taught myself how to sew today,my wife helped a little on the basics,but left me alone to actually learn it by experience. Best advice she ever gave me.:D The hardest part was figuring out loading the bobbin and threading the thing. It is a beautiful Pfaff from 1953,with a terrible instruction manual.:confused: I have learned a ton already. Made some stuff sacks to start. Thinking ahead is the key. I am now dreaming of projects. Funny you mention foam and webbing,thats tomorrows project. I was just going to sew on a web belt,now I am going all the way with a real belt.