PDA

View Full Version : 30 Mile Loop in GSMNP?

Ashman
11-01-2008, 08:28
I'm looking to do a 30 mile loop in GSMNP, suggested routes?

Lone Wolf
11-01-2008, 08:30
eagle creek trail from fontana up to spence field then back to fontana on the AT

Marta
11-01-2008, 09:07
Day hike, overnighter, or two nights?

I like starting at Big Creek and hiking up Mt. Sterling, down the back side to Cataloochee, then reverse on the other set of trails. A good bit of elevation gain and loss, and an excellent view from Mt. Sterling on a nice day.

You can also loop from the Big Creek Trail up various trails that lead up to the ridge, to Mt. Cammerer, down the west side, and back up and over the following day on another set of trails.

(I'm at my parents' house and don't have my maps handy to get exact trail names.)

The thing I like about going in and out of Big Creek is that it's right off I-40, which cuts quite a lot of time off the driving part of the trip for me.

Ashman
11-01-2008, 09:11
looking to do an easy paced 2 nighter

aaronthebugbuffet
11-01-2008, 19:49
eagle creek trail from fontana up to spence field then back to fontana on the AT

Nice one.
According to my map thats exactly 30 miles.

Ramble~On
11-02-2008, 19:02
looking to do an easy paced 2 nighter

From Clingman's Dome (access road closed in winter)

Take a hike: AT, Welch Ridge, Bear Creek, Forney Creek back to parking at Clingman's. (31 miles)

Sweet hike:sun

The Solemates
11-03-2008, 10:42
snake den ridge, miry ridge from big creek

humunuku
11-03-2008, 18:20
From Clingman's Dome (access road closed in winter)

Take a hike: AT, Welch Ridge, Bear Creek, Forney Creek back to parking at Clingman's. (31 miles)

Sweet hike:sun

Don't forget to add the side trip to high rocks...super cool place

mts4602
11-03-2008, 23:39
Day hike, overnighter, or two nights?

I like starting at Big Creek and hiking up Mt. Sterling, down the back side to Cataloochee, then reverse on the other set of trails. A good bit of elevation gain and loss, and an excellent view from Mt. Sterling on a nice day.

You can also loop from the Big Creek Trail up various trails that lead up to the ridge, to Mt. Cammerer, down the west side, and back up and over the following day on another set of trails.

(I'm at my parents' house and don't have my maps handy to get exact trail names.)

The thing I like about going in and out of Big Creek is that it's right off I-40, which cuts quite a lot of time off the driving part of the trip for me.

whenever you get your maps could you mention specific trails. I was looking at the map but I'm a little confused.

I like Big creek as well b/c of the ease of access from the interstate. plus, mt. sterling is awesome.

Marta
11-04-2008, 09:01
whenever you get your maps could you mention specific trails. I was looking at the map but I'm a little confused.

I like Big creek as well b/c of the ease of access from the interstate. plus, mt. sterling is awesome.

1) From Big Creek we usually go:
Big Creek Trail
Swallow Fork Trail
Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
Overnight at campsite #39
Continue on Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
Left on Little Cataloochee Trail
Long Bunk Trail
Mt. Sterling Trail
Baxter Creek Trail back to Big Creek parking lot

We have done this several times as an overnighter. To make it into a two-nighter would be a bit more challenging because of the location of the campsites.

2) Another overnighter we have done is:
Big Creek parking
Chestnut Branch Trail
Side detour up AT to Mt. Cammerer fire tower and back to intersection with Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail
Overnight at campsite #35
Continue on Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail
Low Gap Trail
Cross AT and continue down Low Gap Trail
Left on Big Creek Trail

This would be easier to turn into a two-nighter, if you make reservations for campsite #37. You could do something like go south on the AT from Low Gap to the Camel Gap Trail to campsite #37, then have an easy hike out to the car on your last day.

mts4602
11-04-2008, 22:34
Thanks,

I've got lots of new ideas now.

Joey
11-28-2008, 23:24
Big Creek to Walnut Bottoms and pick up Gunter Fork Trail to Balsam Mtn. Trail. Stay at Laurel Gap Shelter. Hike Balsam Mtn to Tri-Corner then stay at Tri-Corner or make a long shot to Camel Gap trail and overnight back at Walnut Bottoms. You will have to get an early start from Laurel Gap though if you do the latter hike.

sliderule
11-28-2008, 23:44
Big Creek to Walnut Bottoms and pick up Gunter Fork Trail to Balsam Mtn. Trail.

Those creek crossings on the Gunter Fork Trail will be a lot of fun this time of year!!!

Lone Wolf
11-29-2008, 00:02
why? it's dry

Bulldawg
11-29-2008, 00:02
Looked to me Wednesday that a lot of the Smokys are under snow!!

Joey
11-29-2008, 00:21
I imagine after this rain front moving through, Gunter Fork and Eagle Creek will be rather TOUGH to cross!! I'm waiting on the next snowfall then gonna head up to Tri-Corner by some route, just don't know which one I want to take though!!

Marta
11-30-2008, 22:37
We just got back from a 50-mile loop out of Twentymile. Stayed at campsite 13 Thursday night, then campsite 17 Friday night, and back to 13 last night.

I hadn't been over to the Abrams Creek area before. It was great! Cades Cove was hopping with people and cars, of course, but we got a great view of the mountains from the open grassy areas there. Unfortunately the rain moved in while we were climbing up towards Gregory Bald, so we never got the view back down towards the Cove.

Gotta love that Smokies weather! Rain, rain, and more rain.

Joey
12-01-2008, 00:36
Those creek crossings on the Gunter Fork Trail will be a lot of fun this time of year!!!
probably why I am headed to the Roans next weekend. Better chance for snow and some good cold weather hiking maybe with the crampons on! Dont care to have to use a kayak on stream crossings

Joey
12-01-2008, 00:37
why? it's dry
LW after this rain we may have to go get us new bassboat to cross em now!!

Marta
12-01-2008, 08:00
I wouldn't worry about the rain causing flooding. It didn't rain all that much. We came down the Long Hungry Ridge Trail yesterday afternoon and were able to rock hop easily across the stream. The seasonal creeks and springs were still dry.

Short Term
12-01-2008, 15:28
Big Creek Trail
Swallow Fork Trail
Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
Long Bunk Trail
Mt. Sterling Trail

We have done this several times as an overnighter. To make it into a two-nighter would be a bit more challenging because of the location of the campsites.

Big Creek parking
Chestnut Branch Trail
Side detour up AT to Mt. Cammerer fire tower and back to intersection with Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail
Low Gap Trail
Left on Big Creek Trail

This would be easier to turn into a two-nighter, if you make reservations for campsite #37. You could do something like go south on the AT from Low Gap to the Camel Gap Trail to campsite #37, then have an easy hike out to the car on your last day.

How long are these two hikes? I am looking for a 20 - 25 mile loop for this weekend with some nice views (if it isn't raining). I would look at my map but I forgot to bring it to work with me today!
(Don't want to start a new thread since this one is already going).:)

Marta
12-01-2008, 15:29
How long are these two hikes? I am looking for a 20 - 25 mile loop for this weekend with some nice views (if it isn't raining). I would look at my map but I forgot to bring it to work with me today!
(Don't want to start a new thread since this one is already going).:)

I'll have to get back to you with an answer when I get home tonight. I don't have source material here at the office.

Marta
12-02-2008, 20:59
Big Creek Trail
Swallow Fork Trail
Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
Long Bunk Trail
Mt. Sterling Trail

Big Creek parking
Chestnut Branch Trail
Low Gap Trail
Left on Big Creek Trail

Hike #1 is 27.7 miles with LOTS of elevation gain and loss.

Hike #2 is 26.4, if you include the side trip to Mt. Cammerer fire tower on the first day. It also has a fair amount of up and down, but is not as strenuous as hike #1, IMO.

Ashman
01-11-2009, 19:48
This may need its own thread but do I understand the GSMNP rules correct? Do you have to have reservation to hike in the park? And you have to stay in a shelter? Doesn't that limit what you can do in a day?

Chaco Taco
01-11-2009, 20:16
The Road to Nowhere up Jonas Creek to Welch ridge and down to Eagle Creek and to Lakeshore trail. Stay at site #90. One of the coolest spots to camp in the park.

Marta
01-11-2009, 22:38
This may need its own thread but do I understand the GSMNP rules correct? Do you have to have reservation to hike in the park? And you have to stay in a shelter? Doesn't that limit what you can do in a day?

You need reservations to stay in any shelter. You need reservations to stay in some campsites, but not in others. (The National G maps and the $1 maps sold at the Park denote which is which by color. You can also get the info from the Park website.)

Process for planning a hike in the Park: Figure out your itinerary, exactly, day by day and night by night. See if you are staying in any places that require reservations. If you are, call the reservation line and see if there is space available. The people on the phone are very helpful. They will give you a reservation number that you should make sure you take along with you to the Park.

If you are not planning to stay in any shelters, or in campsites that require reservations, you do not have to call ahead of time.

When you get to the Park, go to one of the Backcountry reservation stations. There are forms, in duplicate, on which you put your personal information, car license #, reservation # (if you have one), and list your itinerary, day by day. You drop the white copy in the box and keep the yellow copy with you during your hike.

Here is my confession: I am just back from a hike in the Park, where I stayed at non-reservation campsite #33. I entered and left the Park at trailheads that don't have backcountry reservation stations. I forgot to stop at another ranger station and fill out the form before starting my hike.:eek: I didn't realize it until I was three or more miles along. (All's well that ends well. We didn't see any rangers, nor did we see any other backpackers, dayhikers, or humans of any type, the whole weekend. A great hike!) Anyway, I am heartily sorry for flouting the rules and will surely remember to go through the fairly painless process next time around.

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 22:49
Gotta love that Smokies weather! Rain, rain, and more rain.

55" down low to 85" up high...85 inches a year at Clingman's Dome..
That's 7 feet a year!

Take your rain jacket !
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Marta
01-12-2009, 22:26
55" down low to 85" up high...85 inches a year at Clingman's Dome..
That's 7 feet a year!

Take your rain jacket !
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Yeah! Love the moss. The gushing creeks. The waterfalls.

On a practical note, if I'm heading to a campsite, instead of a shelter, I often bring an extra tarp so we can have a covered eating area in case that wet stuff is pelting down at mealtime.