PDA

View Full Version : Cost 2

GeneralLee10
11-01-2008, 14:44
I read a lot of what you nice people say in the last thread I posted. I think that about 95 percent of you Can Not leave society behind you. Most all of you do not know what it is like living on a LOW budget. You feel that if you do not spend a substantial amount of money you wont fit in. So why don't all of you that like spending money stay in town or should I city. Nature is free so why make it cost so much money to enjoy? I can see the cost of good gear but to think that you NEED to go stay at a hostel or hotel to shower and wash your clothing is so funny. I do thank all of you for the great info you have shared with us all. But I do not think you need to tell one that they need thousands of dollars to enjoy a Thur hike that is your opinion and please let stay that way. Food is the most important thing not a stay at a hostel or hotel that is my opinion. Just try and live like a poor man for once in your costly life and eat beans and rice you can and will survive nothing bad about it at all.:)

saimyoji
11-01-2008, 14:47
you guys can't let this thing die peacefully can you? Its been dumped twice already, and you come out swinging like maniac again. :rolleyes:

GeneralLee10
11-01-2008, 15:05
you guys can't let this thing die peacefully can you? Its been dumped twice already, and you come out swinging like maniac again. :rolleyes:

I could but do not like the fact that one can say you need so much money for a simple but physical challenging task. Sorry! not intending to piss anyone off I am done please forgive me.:D

superman
11-01-2008, 15:11
i Could But Do Not Like The Fact That One Can Say You Need So Much Money For A Simple But Physical Challenging Task. Sorry! Not Intending To Piss Anyone Off I Am Done Please Forgive Me.:d

Hyoh

emerald
11-01-2008, 15:18
When all is said and done, we will see if lndwlkr can do what he says he can. It would be more interesting to hear from him then. Unfortunately, we are more apt to hear from those don't succeed before rather than after their hikes.

dmax
11-01-2008, 15:29
I like what people said about bringing extra money. I think it is great that some people like to try a thru on a small budget. But the extra money for unexpected problems can end a hike if you don't have it on hand. One pair of shoes won't make it the whole way, unless they end up all in duct tape. What if you fall and rip your rain jacket in half? When falling you ended up cutting your leg, requiring stitches. The hospital bill and a new jacket will leave a person on a small budget sitting next to the trail. I'm just saying, plan for the unexpected. Its better to have the extra money and not have to use it, than end a hike because you don't.

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2008, 15:36
Why is it that the only folks who consider a six month backpacking trip to be a "simple task" are the folks who haven't done one yet? :rolleyes:

One of the top reasons that young people end an A.T. thru-hike prematurely is because they either don't budget their trip appropriately (i.e. they spend too much too soon) or, more likely, they simply didn't bring enough money from day one.

There are folks who don't like to hear this, but putting your hands over your ears isn't gonna make this fact go away.

emerald
11-01-2008, 15:52
I believe most 2000 milers who post here regularly contribute because they desire to improve the odds of others who aspire to complete the AT. This helping others is a longstanding tradition among AT hikers and what has resulted in the highest probability of success in the past is likely to continue to produce results.

JAK
11-01-2008, 16:16
I still think you gentlemen, with all your experience, could be more reasonable and accomodating. We aren't talking about safety here. We are simply talking about spending less money in towns. I don't think people should be called moochers simply because they want to spend less money in towns.

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2008, 16:44
Geez, JAK, are you going to poison THIS thread with 100 of the same posts?

Give it a rest.

All people are saying is that if you don't bring enough money from the outset, you WILL end up scrounging and mooching, bumming your way down the Trail in an endless hunt for freebies, non-existent work-for stays, living out of hiker boxes, guilt-tripping Trail "friends" into letting you sleep on the floor of their motel rooms, etc.

Or, more likely, you'll just go home. It happens every year.

We aren't being unaccomodating or unkind when we say these things, JAK. We're merely stating the realities of Trail life.

You'd state them too.......if you were remotely aware of them, that is.

Alligator
11-01-2008, 16:49
This topic is closed for a little bit until folks cool it some.

Also, restarting threads that have been closed is against the TOS.