PDA

View Full Version : Borrowed an Idea (Backpacker Box)

mtnkngxt
11-01-2008, 16:09
Noticed the site the backpacking box has kind of died off in recent months, and after sitting here looking through my gear closet today I realized I have alot of stuff I'll never use. Would anyone on the site be interested in a gear box mailing list. Basically the same exact idea as the backpacking box but on a smaller WB scale. I'd be willing to start it off and I've got some cool stuff to put in if people are willing to do the same.

Phreak
11-01-2008, 16:41
Noticed the site the backpacking box has kind of died off in recent months, and after sitting here looking through my gear closet today I realized I have alot of stuff I'll never use. Would anyone on the site be interested in a gear box mailing list. Basically the same exact idea as the backpacking box but on a smaller WB scale. I'd be willing to start it off and I've got some cool stuff to put in if people are willing to do the same.

I have a ***** load of gear laying around. Put me down for it.

mtnkngxt
11-01-2008, 17:03
Ok ladies gents and the rest of us. Thats 2 if we can get about a dozen people signed up i'll send out the first box.

The details.

We comprise a list of addresses and names and then I'll pack up the gox and send it out to the first on the list. You can take what you like as long as you put something back in the box. This can be anything hiking related and or DIY related. Then that person will be responsible for sending the box on to the next person on the list. Shipping doesn't have to be priority or anything like that just regular USPS or UPS.

Also if people were interested we could start a PIF (Pay it Forward) type of thread which has worked suprisingly well on a Target Shooting Board I frequent. It is more of a direct "Box" idea. The way it works is everyone posts extra stuff they have laying around in a thread. Then others post up dibs on those items and then have to offer up an item to PIF. For example I would offer up some duplicate National Geographic Topo maps I have. George calls dibs and then offers up an aluminum pot. Someone calls Dibs on that and then they offer up something to PIF. Shipping is the responsibility of the person offering the items up. In order to call dibs you must post something up to keep the PIF going. You don't have to call dibs on anything immediately when you post something up, you can save your PIF until something is posted that you would like. It works on the honor system and if that breaks down the system usually breaks down.

Tobiah
11-01-2008, 19:30
I'm a noob to the site, and live about 8 hours from the AT, but love hiking and have a growing collection of extra stuff - I'm also a nut about making homemade gear, so if distance is not a problem I'm in!:banana

mtnkngxt
11-01-2008, 22:19
Shouldn't be. Would like to request we keep this within the US.

Hammock Hanger
11-02-2008, 09:13
Put my name on the Backpacking Box List.

Cuffs
11-02-2008, 09:30
Sign me up for this one too!

mtnkngxt
11-02-2008, 09:51
Ok ya'll, it looks like this is going to take off, so I'll go ahead and pack up the first box. If everyone who would like to be on the list will pm the address they would like it sent to I will figure out a shipping list based on location to help keep cost costs down. When the box gets to the last person I'll put a return address for me and I'll snag something and then pack it full of more stuff and we'll get the next list together.

Also guys and gals I'm going to include a USB drive and if anyone would like to take a pic with the box or just add some pictures they think others might like to see feel free to add them and then just put the thumb drive back in the box and send it on to the next person on the list.

Cuffs If it is ok I'm also going to start a Pay it Forward thread but I don't know what section it would go in. I have some stuff that will not fit in the box that I'd like to PIF.

Cuffs
11-02-2008, 10:02
MTN, since this is gear related, go ahead and put it in the general gear forum.

mtnkngxt
11-02-2008, 10:15
Ok will do

Bearpaw
11-02-2008, 11:11
MTN, since this is gear related, go ahead and put it in the general gear forum.

Taken care of.

mtnkngxt
11-02-2008, 11:22
thanks bearpaw

Cuffs
11-02-2008, 11:31
Taken care of.

I think he was only referring to his new "pay it forward" thread...?

mtnkngxt
11-02-2008, 11:33
What ever ya'll want to do your the mods. I think the Backpacker Box atleast until the 1st 10 names would get more traffic in the main section, but It doesn't matter to me.

trailmomma4
11-02-2008, 17:19
I would like to put my name on the list.

mudcap
11-02-2008, 17:23
I am glad this is going to fly,looking forward to passing along some gear.

aaroniguana
11-02-2008, 17:26
Sign me up please!

mudcap
11-02-2008, 19:43
mtnkngxt (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=14603),looks like the magic number of ten is near to start this rolling. Thanks for taking the time ,I look forward to passing things along. Great idea.

Manwich
11-02-2008, 21:30
FYI Everybody I also put my name on the list (in case someones counting the names in here)

mtnkngxt
11-03-2008, 12:28
EVERYONE who wants to sign up needs to send me their address they want the box sent to so I can figure the shortest route between everyone so that it moves swiftly and smoothly around.

dmax
11-03-2008, 12:45
Sounds good to me!

mudcap
11-03-2008, 18:05
EVERYONE who wants to sign up needs to send me their address they want the box sent to so I can figure the shortest route between everyone so that it moves swiftly and smoothly around. I PMed my address,I am sure you received it. Just wanted to make sure because I did get a reply. Thanks for starting this.

mtnkngxt
11-04-2008, 12:36
Yeah I've got everyones addresses figuring out shipping route now will be mailed out by end of week.

bigmac_in
11-04-2008, 14:53
Count me in - PM sent.

mudcap
11-04-2008, 15:50
Yeah I've got everyones addresses figuring out shipping route now will be mailed out by end of week.

Sounds great !

mtnkngxt
11-04-2008, 19:58
Ok first box list is full. Unless Cuffs wants in but I havent heard back from her. Looks like this box will be heading South to TN then Florida then Alabama then Georgia back up to Maryland Jersey Then Indiana then back to VA. As soon as the box gets back to me I'll snag something refill and we'll immediately start a second round. New comers will get first serve, if there isnt enough new people for a new list repeat offenders are more than welcome. If it does fill up wait a box and then go again that way everyone gets it every once in awhile. I figure it will take a month and half to make the round trip.

Tobiah
11-05-2008, 16:40
what am I gonna do for a month and a half? i'm salivating now...:-D

mudcap
11-05-2008, 19:29
Ok first box list is full. Unless Cuffs wants in but I havent heard back from her. Looks like this box will be heading South to TN then Florida then Alabama then Georgia back up to Maryland Jersey Then Indiana then back to VA. As soon as the box gets back to me I'll snag something refill and we'll immediately start a second round. New comers will get first serve, if there isnt enough new people for a new list repeat offenders are more than welcome. If it does fill up wait a box and then go again that way everyone gets it every once in awhile. I figure it will take a month and half to make the round trip.

I do not see NY listed,did I miss out somehow? I thought I was included. No big deal,I was just looking forward to this.

mtnkngxt
11-05-2008, 20:31
Everyones included I was just shooting off the hip with the route. FIRST BOX LIST IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. WILL FINALIZE LIST AND SHIPPING ORDER TOMMOROW AND PACKAGE WILL BE MAILED TO FIRST RECIPIENT IN Georgia ON FRIDAY.

mtnkngxt
11-07-2008, 11:33
First 10 people who sent me their names are on this 1st list. The rest are on the 2nd list. This box will be traveling GA,FL,AL,TN,IN,OH,NY,MA,NJ,VA... GA is 1st on the list, so to make 1 big circle and make everyones shipping costs even and reasonable. The USB drive is in a Zippo tin please load pictures if you wish but return the thumb drive to the box when you send it on so we can all share pictures. If anyone has any problems or the list gets lost email or pm me and i can shoot you another one.

Cuffs
11-07-2008, 11:47
I was going thru the stuff Id like to add and found lots of little things. Any problems putting in stuff like thinks to make homemade gear with? I have lots of buckles, cord locks, some left over cordage and webbing? That kind of stuff...

CowHead
11-07-2008, 13:07
Sent you my address. I'm in also

mtnkngxt
11-07-2008, 14:02
cuffs thats probably some of the best stuff. I threw in some contaniners famous orange trowels (never used) , cooking utensils and some other odds and ends. Heini cans or webbing locks, whatever you want is all great.

MisterSweetie
11-08-2008, 11:29
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper (to mail) to just keep an online list of what's in the "box" and have a central person mailing ins and outs to who wants what? Instead of sending a box full of gear around the country for someone only to swap one item.

I've done this kind of thing before (though not with gear) and it's fun. :D

bigmac_in
11-11-2008, 12:47
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper (to mail) to just keep an online list of what's in the "box" and have a central person mailing ins and outs to who wants what? Instead of sending a box full of gear around the country for someone only to swap one item.

I've done this kind of thing before (though not with gear) and it's fun. :D

Half the fun is receiving the box. Makes you feel like a kid at Christmas. :p

russb
11-11-2008, 13:11
Half the fun is receiving the box. Makes you feel like a kid at Christmas. :p

Agreed. Although unless people put in stuff which is as good as what they take, the box can get filled with *crap* very quickly. Swapping out a "$30" item for 30-$1 items is not equal IMO.

mtnkngxt
11-11-2008, 14:05
No one is asking anyone to put in something they would rather sell. This box is meant for bits and pieces not huge items. I wouldn't expect anyone to put a tent or a pack or anything like that in here. Instead you add what you want and you take what you want, one mans junk is another mans treasure. Heck cuffs linelocks and webbing sounds like the stuff dreams are made of for a DIY person like me. If only I had a sewing machine.

Tobiah
11-14-2008, 06:37
If anyone throws a sewing machine in the box, the postage is gonna skyrocket... I'm just sayin'...:rolleyes:

Cuffs
11-14-2008, 09:52
Hey Mtnkngxt,

might you consider sending a PM to all of us on the list in the order that the box is being shipped? That way we can all keep track of its whereabouts?

bigmac_in
11-14-2008, 18:59
Good idea Cuffs.

mtnkngxt
11-14-2008, 22:50
Will do, I'm not home this weekend, but I'll send it out first of the week. Funny story that mudcap can fill you in on the postal service and I have been having some issues with me mailing stoves.

Come to find out the backpacker box showed back up at my house this morning. This makes 2 boxes they have tagged and returned due to hits from "fuel" sniffing dogs. I had 2 MSR bottles I had thrown in uncapped and apparently sent the dogs on another wild chase. Long story short my roommate is shipping the box out again in the morning minus the bottles and will get to the first recipient tues I hope.

mudcap
11-15-2008, 00:08
Wow,that sucks J... I love dogs,but this is crazy my friend:( Hard to believe man,I think USPS has something against you dude ! Did you fight against the price of stamps?:o

mudcap
11-15-2008, 00:18
Will do, I'm not home this weekend, but I'll send it out first of the week. Funny story that mudcap can fill you in on the postal service and I have been having some issues with me mailing stoves.

Come to find out the backpacker box showed back up at my house this morning. This makes 2 boxes they have tagged and returned due to hits from "fuel" sniffing dogs. I had 2 MSR bottles I had thrown in uncapped and apparently sent the dogs on another wild chase. Long story short my roommate is shipping the box out again in the morning minus the bottles and will get to the first recipient tues I hope.

J,please tell me my package is still enroute,if it was returned to you again I will be bummed.:(

mtnkngxt
11-16-2008, 10:44
No package is still on the way. Will definetly be there this week. Enjoy the stuff.

mudcap
11-16-2008, 13:28
Thats great news,Thanks!

bigmac_in
11-24-2008, 13:29
Well? Where is said box? No updates for a week.

mtnkngxt
11-30-2008, 20:46
Apparently never even got to the 1st stop. USPS priority mail truck crashed in the snow storm we had down here last friday, my girlfriend was supposed to mail it the week before, but apparently she forgot and it sat in her trunk for a week, when she did mail it this happened. I'll post pictures of the box later tonight. Package was totaled, truck caught fire fire department sprayed truck with water total annihaltion, Good news driver was ok. Luckily it was only my contributions in the box. Christmas holiday is here and the headlamps i put in and the maps are destroyed, but I'll have a ton more stuff after the holidays to create another box, if anyone wants to start the box pm me and ill send you the address list.

NEVER USING USPS AGAIN

snaplok
12-04-2008, 06:43
Am I too late to sign up? Tried to do the original box but think it faded away. I had some items that started collecting dust for the box.

russb
12-04-2008, 06:58
Apparently never even got to the 1st stop. USPS priority mail truck crashed in the snow storm we had down here last friday, my girlfriend was supposed to mail it the week before, but apparently she forgot and it sat in her trunk for a week, when she did mail it this happened. I'll post pictures of the box later tonight. Package was totaled, truck caught fire fire department sprayed truck with water total annihaltion, Good news driver was ok. Luckily it was only my contributions in the box. Christmas holiday is here and the headlamps i put in and the maps are destroyed, but I'll have a ton more stuff after the holidays to create another box, if anyone wants to start the box pm me and ill send you the address list.

NEVER USING USPS AGAIN

Whoa! Glad the driver is ok. I guess these types of accidents could happen to anyone.... usps, fedex, ups. Unless you have other reasons not to use usps, I wouldn't let this experience sour you completely. Accidents happen. Have a happy holiday. I,too, am going through my gear piles and have stuff ready for the box, if/when it arrives.