PDA

View Full Version : Another map question....

kristin1065
11-01-2008, 19:56
Unlike the previous poster, who intends to thru-hike without a map, I do not feel comfortable doing so. I plan to carry maps, but I am wondering from past thru-hikers about whether the "official AT maps" are necessary, or if others are good also (such as Trails Unlimited for Southern areas, etc.) Suggestions about which maps are the best would be helpful.

Serial 07
11-01-2008, 20:20
the national geographic maps are great...they do a much better job of detailing surrounding trail areas, and have more alternative trails and forest roads on them...the ATC maps will however give you profile information, which the nat geo's won't and that information can be helpful for planning out a day or where to stop at night...if you are more open to blue blazing, then i would look into the N.G. maps, but if you are gonna stick pretty much to the trail and not wonder off too much, then the ATC maps are probably your best bet...

Blissful
11-01-2008, 20:20
ATC maps are the best. We did hike with National Geopraphic in NC and TN, but they lacked the elevation profiles which I dearly love.

JAK
11-01-2008, 20:51
How much do each of the 11 maps sets weigh? What are better strategies in terms of managing the weight? Could you buy each set somewehere along the way, then mail it home when done that section, or maybe even trade it off to someone going the other way? What do people typically do?

weary
11-01-2008, 21:31
How much do each of the 11 maps sets weigh? What are better strategies in terms of managing the weight? Could you buy each set somewehere along the way, then mail it home when done that section, or maybe even trade it off to someone going the other way? What do people typically do?
I mailed the maps for each section to myself, along with medicines, some foods, some gear. Or rather I packed them at home. My wife mailed the packages a couple of weeks before my expected arrival. Because I was behind schedule most of the time, I picked them up usually a month late. It didn't matter. The post office always held them until I arrived.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2008, 21:41
JAK:

Many people send their maps home when they're no longer needed. Other folks give them away or leave them in hiker boxes for whoever wants them.

The weight issue is negligible when it comes to maps, as you're generally only carrying one or two at a time.

For anyone wondering approximately how long it'll take the average person to cover a particular stretch of the Trail, see the "Re-Supply" piece in the Articles section of this website. This may give folks a good idea on how long it'll take to cover each stretch of Trail and will help you get an idea of where and when to send any re-supply parcels to yourself, including your next set of maps.

JAK
11-01-2008, 22:11
Thanks Jack, Weary,
I think I might be inclined to buy the maps as I go and then drop them in a hiker box.

What are the best guidebooks or sources for picking up the history of a region as you hike through it, natural history as well as human history?

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2008, 22:16
Those would probably be the Trail Guides that the ATC and local Trail clubs put out.

If one wants the whole map set WITH the accompanying guides, you can get them at a great savings if you buy them between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You'll save evn more if you're an ATC member.

For more info, see www.appalachiantrail.org and click on the "Ultimate Trail Store" section.

JAK
11-01-2008, 22:41
Thanks Jack. I like guides like that. Even if they just briefly mention there was an old coppermine, or sawmill, or 'trail of tears' etc, its enough to raise interest and ask questions and dig up more information somewhere else if needed. Thanks for the link.

Tin Man
11-02-2008, 01:44

4,378 posts and this is your question? you might try a little more reading in between all that typing

JAK
11-02-2008, 08:38
I must have hit a sore spot with some of you guys. Just ignore me.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 09:27
brokenrecocordism

Gray Blazer
11-02-2008, 09:30
brokenrecocordism

Where did I hear that before? Oh yeah. You're funny.

Peaks
11-02-2008, 09:37
Generally speaking, the ATC maps are the most current maps available. Maps like the USGS frequently don't show the AT in it's current location.

But, there are places where it's nice to supplement the ATC map, such as in the GSMNP. For the White Mountains, I carried the AMC maps.

Old Goat
11-02-2008, 10:41
I like the ATC maps because they are like AAA Trip Tickets. They concentrate on a thin strip adjacent to the trail but not much more. Like the trip ticket they are written to get as much of the trail on their but not always oriented with north on top.

I found myself mostly using the profile portion of these maps to see what I'll be up against next and where the shelters were. I knew if my day was mostly uphill I wouldn't be making as many miles that day, it was easier to figure this out by having a vertical representation of the miles ahead.

The question was asked if maps can be bought along the trail. Most outfitters do carry them but if you are NOBO in spring they may be out of stock from the hikers ahead of you. The Christmas ATC sale is a good way of ensuring you'll have all the maps available.

Jack Tarlin's Re-supply advice letter he has posted in the advice section of Whiteblaze is one of the best resources I used in planning my maildrop schedule. I also read journals of other hikers my age and used their progress to adapt Jack's advice to what I thought someone my age could do. As I learnd what I was capable of hiking I was able to communicate back to my support person on the changes we needed to make to the plan.

Back to the map question: I found I developed a sixth sense when it came to whiteblazes. I found myself looking up regularly to see them and I knew just about how long it had been since I had last seen one. When I had doubt I would lok southward down the trail to see if there were any SOBO blazes. If I didn't see any I would go ahead cautiously until I saw another blaze. I would pay particular attention at trail junctions to ensure I would be taking the right trail once I commited. On poorlly blazed junctions I would start down the one that looked like it should be the right one, I'd then stop and turn around and again look for the SOBO blaze, there usually was the double blaze indicating a turn. After all junctions I would be on high alert for the next blaze. Once I felt confident with my skills I depended on the maps a lot less.

kayak karl
11-02-2008, 11:13
Unlike the previous poster, who intends to thru-hike without a map, I do not feel comfortable doing so. I plan to carry maps, but I am wondering from past thru-hikers about whether the "official AT maps" are necessary, or if others are good also (such as Trails Unlimited for Southern areas, etc.) Suggestions about which maps are the best would be helpful.
im a map nut, i don't kayak without a map. i use the ATC maps (37) they weight just under 5 lb. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=571559&postcount=11 here is a list of them (attached files).

brianos
11-02-2008, 14:03
I'm a bit of a "map freak", so when I find an alternate trail map I'm likely to add it to my collection anyway ;-) The Nat'l Geographic maps cover larger areas and do show more detail as you get farther away from the AT; on the other hand, I prefer the generally more detailed map scales from the ATC.

I'll cast another vote of confidence for the ATC maps & guidebooks. I've spent many hours reading the guidebook info, dreaming/planning future hikes. Most of the guidebooks provide ample information about regional flora, fauna, geology & history, which I find helps me connect more with the local area when I finally get to hike through it.

Powder River
11-18-2008, 03:43
I like the ATC maps because they are like AAA Trip Tickets. They concentrate on a thin strip adjacent to the trail but not much more.

I did not care for this at all. One of the biggest reason I carried maps, next to the elevation profiles is I wanted to see where I was in relation to everything else. I would say roughly half of the ATC maps do a poor job of this, because they simply cut out too much of the context around the trail. There were many times when a popular trail town was not even on the map. I also want to see the peaks on the map that I am looking at off of the viewpoints, which of course aren't there when they trim it like that. Maybe it is just me, but if I am carrying a 3 ounce rectangular piece of paper, then it should have 3 ounces worth of rectangular map on it.

However, when it really comes down to it the elevation profile data still trumps. Maybe it would be economical to cut a (wider) strip out of a free state map that covers the trail corridor for each state, and carry that in addition to the ATC maps. I knew someone who carried no maps but a gas station map of all of new england (once we were in new england), and I would find myself looking at it when I could because I was fascinated with the overall picture of what was where and how far.

As for the history, I have to say that I don't think any of the published trail guides really adequetly cover the human history along the trail. I can only wish that someone would publish a history-oriented guide that would fill this gap.

Petr
11-18-2008, 12:01
Are there any really good downloadable e-maps out there for the trail? I'm bringing my iphone as a luxury item, and if I'm carrying the gadget anyway, I might as well put it to good use.

Johnny Thunder
11-18-2008, 14:47
backpacker magazine just ran an article on the AT which alluded to free downloadable maps on their website...check it out.