PDA

View Full Version : Granite_Gear_Vapor_Trail

2009ThruHiker
11-02-2008, 07:49
Am I correct in assuming if a pack says it will handle up to 30 lbs., that doesn't include the weight of the pack itself? Just the load inside, right?

nitewalker
11-02-2008, 07:53
i have the gg vapor trail and it will hold 30lbs but that is pushing the limits of the pack. the pack itself is 2lbs. this pack has become my favorite pack without question. day hikes, overnites and multiple days it works great. i just wish there was another way to get into the pack besides the top........great pack

2009ThruHiker
11-02-2008, 07:58
anyone know what a good next step up to a pack that would hold say 35lbs. comfortably, but would be a lightweight pack like the GG? I love the GG, but my thru hike load on some resupply point days will leave town anywhere from 32-35 lbs...
??

nitewalker
11-02-2008, 08:12
anyone know what a good next step up to a pack that would hold say 35lbs. comfortably, but would be a lightweight pack like the GG? I love the GG, but my thru hike load on some resupply point days will leave town anywhere from 32-35 lbs...
??

i also have the next step gg pack.. it is the nimbus latitude with the front stretch zipper that makes great access to the pack. this pack is also gret and yes it will carry 35lbs. that weight puts it to the limit but the pack is still really comfortable..

i belive granite gear has what it takes when talking about packs. they hold up well and get the job done with minimal weights..good stuff:D

2009ThruHiker
11-02-2008, 08:19
thx. nightwalker.

nitewalker
11-02-2008, 08:36
thx. nightwalker.

2009thruhiker

your welcome but you spelled my name wrong[lol]. .........i am nitewalker but there is a nightwalker or is it knightwalker:-?...

peace out, nite walker:D

littlelaurel59
11-02-2008, 11:12
??

I have a Vapor Trail, and usually start the first day of a long hike in the 32-33 pound range. I have had no problems. The pack feels better as weight is shed, but I'm not sure I can blame the pack for that. Who doesn't feel better carrying less weight?

My son has the Nimbus Ozone- basically the same design but a little bigger and a little more rigid. Designed to darry a little more weight (40# I believe).

Dirtygaiters
11-02-2008, 15:10
i have the gg vapor trail and it will hold 30lbs but that is pushing the limits of the pack. the pack itself is 2lbs. this pack has become my favorite pack without question. day hikes, overnites and multiple days it works great. i just wish there was another way to get into the pack besides the top........great pack

The pack's weight always counts. Past about 30 pounds, the VT's framesheet will bend. At about 30 lbs and below, it's fine, though.

stranger
11-03-2008, 02:05
The weight of a pack is always relevant because it's the total weight the pack manufacturer is speaking of, and you will be carrying the pack, so the weight is included.

In my experience, it would be hard pressed to get a VT to weight 30lbs considering the size of the pack. And 30lbs is alot of weight for an ultralight pack. If you are going to be carrying moderate loads, you might want to consider something like a ULA Catalyst or Osprey Aether, something along those lines with an actual suspension system.

Atleast to me, ultralight means very low 20's or less, anything more than that and you may find a proper suspension system feels better on your back and fatigue less. But then again, you might not!

nitewalker
11-03-2008, 07:16
The weight of a pack is always relevant because it's the total weight the pack manufacturer is speaking of, and you will be carrying the pack, so the weight is included.

In my experience, it would be hard pressed to get a VT to weight 30lbs considering the size of the pack. And 30lbs is alot of weight for an ultralight pack. If you are going to be carrying moderate loads, you might want to consider something like a ULA Catalyst or Osprey Aether, something along those lines with an actual suspension system.

Atleast to me, ultralight means very low 20's or less, anything more than that and you may find a proper suspension system feels better on your back and fatigue less. But then again, you might not!

correct a mundo, when using the vapor tr i try to stay below 25lbs at all times. usually my overniters are during the mths of nov,feb and march so i need to bring more gear cusing my VT to be in the 25lb range or even a tad heavier. the pack has held up well around this range. now if i were to carry 30lb day in and day out i would go to the nimbus latitude for the better support system.

take-a-knee
11-03-2008, 15:04
The pack's weight always counts. Past about 30 pounds, the VT's framesheet will bend. At about 30 lbs and below, it's fine, though.

If it bends excessively then you bought a size too large. I can carry 35# in my Vapor Trail with no problem. Yes, it puts a little weight on your traps, so what? If this is really a problem for you, you need a better conditioning plan, get a barbell and start deadlifting and doing overhead presses.

SteveJ
11-03-2008, 22:20

I have comfortably carried between 30 and 35 pounds in my GGVT many times...... This is usually at the start of the trip, or at the start of a section where I need to carry extra water. I have noticed, a couple of times when the pack was over 35 lbs, that the framesheet did bend.

YMMV

Blue Wolf
11-03-2008, 22:37
Man great thread everyone I'm sold on one I have been kicking around the thought of lowering the big 4 weight by another 2lbs........ this pack will do it, I just hope it carries like my aether 60

TwoForty
11-03-2008, 23:45
I packed 30 pounds in a Vapor Trail, and Nimbus Ozone, and an Aether 60 (current one). It's no contest. The VT was overloaded for me above 25 lbs and the Nimbus Ozone was good for 35 max, but it put a lot of my shoulders. The Aether carried 35 pounds like a dream.

Hoping for a pack with a piece of foam to carry like an Aether 60 is crazy, unless your load is so low that either suspension is under loaded.

You might also want to look at the ULA Circuit for up to 35. The Catalyst would be better though, but it's big and weights almost 3 pounds.

stranger
11-04-2008, 02:57
The Vapor Trail won't carry like an Aether (or another similar pack with a decent suspension) cause it simply doesn't have the suspension to support more moderate loads. This doesn't mean you won't like a VT, it just means it will be heavier in the shoulders.

Also, comfort is relative, one persons view of comfort is another's nightmare. Keep in mind that a frameless pack (like the Vapor Trail) has no real suspension, so the pack is very dependent on being full, as the contents of the pack will assist greatly in preventing the pack from collapsing, thus putting more weight on your shoulders.

So if you keep a Vapor Trail to a moderate load (and this amount of weight will vary considerably depending on what your view of comfort is) and fill it up entirely, use the compression straps, etc... it will have some structure even though it doesn't have a stay, or rigid framesheet, or struts.

Natchez
11-04-2008, 16:05
I have had many backpacks Gregory Go lite ULA my Vapor Trail is the only one I have kept it fits like a pillow. I have carried 30lbs no problem.

stranger
11-05-2008, 01:59
I think you describe the fit well when you say "fits like a pillow" cause there isn't much structure to the pack and there isn't much structure to a pillow. Some people like that, some people don't.

bigcranky
11-05-2008, 08:23
??

The Six Moons Designs Starlite with the optional stays is about 2 pounds and will handle 35 pound loads.