PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on Titanium

Jah
11-02-2008, 17:32
I am thinking about getting a Ti plate and was wondering if it's ok to cook things on a titanium surface. Could the plate double as a frying pan? Seems like it might work to me. It would be nice to be able to fry up an egg or a grilled cheese once in awhile.

saimyoji
11-02-2008, 17:34
what are you planning to cook? you'll likely burn anything you try to cook on Ti, or it will cook unevenly.

Jah
11-02-2008, 18:03
I don't really know what I plan on cooking on it, just curious if it would work.

saimyoji
11-02-2008, 18:32
ok. sure it'll work. i've cooked hot dogs on the lid of my MiniSolo many times.

Ramble~On
11-02-2008, 18:39
Most of my backpacking cookware is titanium.

http://www.yps-inc.com/evernew.html

Jah
11-02-2008, 20:09
Ok... but do you fry an egg on your ti plate?

saimyoji
11-02-2008, 20:36
in the end i think youll find that youll need to just do it and see if it works for you. i've cooked dogs, steak, chicken, eggs, tortillas...

you just gotta watch how hot the surface gets and watch the hotspots as uneven cooking happens.

what stove are you using?

Jah
11-02-2008, 20:47
Yeah, i'll just have to test it out and see what happens. I'm using a home made alcohol stove.

Jah
11-02-2008, 20:49
Should work for eggs and dogs and stuff with short cook times.

Tinker
11-02-2008, 22:08
I imagine that there are various ti formulas in use for different purposes. If this is true, you might want to see whether the particular ti formula used in the manufacture of your dish is good for cooking on. As far as to whether you could fry an egg or eggs on it, I think it would depend more on the flame pattern of your stove's burner head than the metal that the plate is made of. A wide pattern will distribute heat more evenly than a narrow one. My Vargo Jet-ti stove, for instance, is much better at frying food than my MSR PocketRocket was.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-03-2008, 08:49
You can do it, you need a low wide flame and plenty of patience to fry an egg without nuking it on Ti. I used a scorch buster from my outback oven to prevent burning where the flame hits the ti, but it's counterproductive to save weight with ti and add it with the scorch buster. Hard anodized aluminum is the best by far if you really want to fry and clean up quick. GSI stuff is great.
To be honest with you I just poach them now even when car camping. Consider it a grease free egg over easy. A drop or 3 of vinegar in the water will hold the white together, if you don't like the taste, rinse in fresh water before serving.

Grilled cheese should be no issue, low flame

DBthal
11-03-2008, 15:55
I like to cook on an alcohol stove beyond simple boiling water methods. If you cut a 4 inch diameter circle of light aluminum sheet (ACE Hardware) it works well as a heat diffuser.

Without this, it can be difficult not to scorch food cooked in a thin Ti pan.

Dan

Blissful
11-03-2008, 16:08
Cooking on a ti plate - interesting concept.

saimyoji
11-04-2008, 19:36
Cooking on a ti plate - interesting concept.

how so?

DBthal
11-04-2008, 20:15
If you cut a 4 inch diameter circle of light aluminum sheet (ACE Hardware) it works well as a heat diffuser.

BTW - I weighed my home made heat diffuser. It weighs 15 grams or ~ 1/2 ounce.

Dan