PDA

View Full Version : Theft along the trail

Former Admin
10-17-2002, 18:32
Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, regarding theft along the trail

Youngblood
08-30-2003, 08:55
Came across this ATC posting about parking cars and problem areas. Scan down a page or so for the info:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/cars.html#sub2

I have heard of problems at other locations at times and believe that it is not always 'where you park', but more 'who happens by and what there intentions are'. Anyway, we all worry about our unattended vehicles and accurate info is always helpful.

Youngblood

CeCe
09-01-2003, 17:07
See my posting under Shelters, Md/Pa for report on log book note last week about all stove, food, and cooking gear stolen from shelter in Pa.--CeCe

screwysquirrel
01-23-2004, 22:23
Do they still have the retired sheriffs checking thru the shelters in Penn. anymore? There were a couple I met in 2000 and last year, along with the Ridgerunner every other day checking out the shelters? The ridgeruner said that was because of people getting ripped off or being imtimidated by the local yokels parting on the weekends.

Footslogger
01-24-2004, 17:22
Well ...we had a hiker (and I use that term lightly as it pertains to him) called "Elwood" on the trail in 2003. Just about anyone who hiked in '03 either met him or heard of him at one point. He first showed up around Damascus and then kept popping up at various shelters thereafter. Just about everyone who came in contact with him was a bit suspicious, both of his behavior and his incredible stories. He turned out to be a nutcase who was reported to have an outstanding arrest warrant in another state. He was finally aprehended at the Blackburn AT Center by the caretaker and local sheriff the day before I arrived. As I understand it ...they found a number of items stolen from other hikers in his backpack.

Bottom line ...theft can occur anywhere. If you don't feel comfortable around any hiker(s) then keep your distance. From what I experienced, thieves are among the absolute minority on the AT. Thru-hikers are a family and they take care of their own. Theft or other extreme behavior doesn't last very long on the trail. The vast majority of folks you'll meet on the trail are decent, straight up people.

BlackCloud
07-29-2004, 12:54
It's the weekend before thanksgiving, 1992. My Scout troop is hiking the AT in MD. We park the cars @ the base of Weaverton Cliffs where the trail leaves the C&O Canal & begin the nice ascent up. When we get to the overlook, we see a police car parked w/ our cars (3), some 1000' below. We finish the linear hike. The leaders go back via car to get the other cars. All cars have been broken into & items stolen.

Upon visiting the sherriff's office, they said no car went thru that lot that day. We all agreed that the police car was not the distinctive green or brown of the St Police or the green & white of NPS.

Nice.:cool:

DMA, 2000
07-29-2004, 21:35
My wallet was stolen at trail days. Amazingly, it was found several days later, minus the money and cards. I was extremely grateful for this, as (for reasons too complicated to explain), restoring my ID and such would have been a HUGE hassle (maybe prepare yourself for this possibility before you leave).

Then, the thief, one MR. CHAD WAYNE TERRY of ABINGDON, VIRGINIA, proved to be a dumbass as well as a criminal. He made three purchases (with my card) from an outfitter in Briston, VA (who had a stand at Trail Days), and each time put a different fake phone number on the credit card carbon.

The vendor confiscated the card, but MR. CHAD WAYNE TERRY of ABINGDON, VIRGINIA disappeared into the crowd. The vendor and the police found me and returned to me my card, after verifying that I am who I say I am. I was shown pictures of local miscreants, including MR. CHAD WAYNE TERRY of ABINGDON, VIRGINIA, but recognized none of them. Apparently some habitual thru-hikers were also shown some of the same pictures.

I eventually got everything in order. I was helped by a number of hikers who loaned me cash (and if I ever see you again Kyuzo, I've not forgotten), offered me cash (thank you, Lone Wolf), or let me write them checks (yes, I brought a checkbook on the trail).

MR. CHAD WAYNE TERRY of ABINGDON, VIRGINIA, was eventually apprehended, and sentenced to many years in prison, though all but 3 were suspended (it wasn't just my wallet and the credit card fraud...there was a lot of stuff he did wrong, most prominently stealing a gun and trying to sell it to someone else).

He should be getting out soon, so while in southwest Virginia, particularly at Trail Days, when it's crowded and vigilance may be low, do what you can to avoid MR. CHAD WAYNE TERRY of ABINGDON, VIRGINIA. Remember the name.

manzana
07-30-2004, 07:47
I am glad you got your wallet back. I am curious how it got stolen, though. Were you pick-pocketted?

DMA, 2000
07-31-2004, 13:14
I was going into someplace for lunch, and then reached down to my pocket to feel for my wallet, and there it wasn't. I went back to my tent, and tore it apart, retraced me steps for the day, went into EVERY business I'd been in all week, etc.
Eventually someone found it on the street, and found me.
So all I really know is that at one point I had it, and then at another I did not.