PDA

View Full Version : Dollywood !!!

Roee Dotan
03-28-2004, 09:26
Yo yo !

I loveeee Dolly Parton and I see on the map that Dollywood ( Dolly's park ) is only 25mile from the trail !

It is only 9.7 miles from Gatlinburg Tennessee whice is resort located only 15 mile from the trail !

Has anyone ever was in the Dollywood park ?
Should I go for it ?

Roee Dotan
03-28-2004, 09:41
I cant believe it is so close to the trail !!

It was a dream of mine since I was a child !!

woohoo I wanna go there !!

Blue Jay
03-28-2004, 09:45
I cant believe it is so close to the trail !!

It was a dream of mine since I was a child !!

woohoo I wanna go there !!

Yes Dollywood is an excellent place for resupply. The bad postcards alone are worth the hitch.

Doctari
03-28-2004, 10:24
And, you don't have to hitch all the way to Dollywood: Hitch into Gatlinburg & get dropped off at the Happy hiker (left at the first light you come to from the trail [light #10, yes they are numbered], turn Left then Left into the first parking lot), have your picture taken for the wall of fame, a few yards from happy hiker is the Grand Prix Motel, get you a room there, grab a shower. Walk back to the main street & go Left about 2 blocks, wait for the shuttle bus (about $1.00 or less) ask the driver which bus to take to Pigeon Forge & Dollywood, if I remember right you can do a transfer all the way to Dollywood for the initial price. Have a fun day at the park then back to the hiker friendly motel.
I have never been to the park, but I hear that it is worth it. There is even a bird of prey sanctuary there. Be forewarned, after several weeks in the woods of the AT to that point, Pigeon Forge will seem like a war zone, if not the cultural shock of all those stores, rides & attractions will be major cultural shock.
For you adrenaline junkies, check out “Fly away” it’s an indoor sky diving place in PF. Great FUN! I have done it about 4 times in the last 6 or 7 years. I also HIGHLY recommend the “Smokey mountain Brewery” in Gatlinburg, ask at the Happy Hiker for directions, but it’s across the street from the lower tram station to Obergatlinburg. Great beer, great food, they like hikers.

Doctari.

steve hiker
03-28-2004, 15:59
....... Ugh

Reverie
03-28-2004, 16:21
I went to Dollywood at the insistance of my darling wife. I fully expected it to be an over the top experience of questionable taste. What I experienced was just the opposite. I thoroughly enjoyed my day there, even the museum of Dolly. Since I am from the North Georgia mountains, the culture is remarkably similar and I found the exhibits informative and enjoyable. The Bird-of- Prey sanctuary was wonderful. If you already plan a zero day, you could do alot worse than Dollywood.

BiteBlaze
03-28-2004, 17:14
Should I go for it ?You bet. Just be sure to pick up a Dollywood t-shirt and Dollywood hat for your head. Then take the AT south to Aintry, GA, and tell the locals what you saw there.

...... bend over that log thar, boy
(twisting Roee's ear) let's hear you squeeel like a pig

eeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!<!-- / message -->

Chappy
03-28-2004, 18:56
You bet. Just be sure to pick up a Dollywood t-shirt and Dollywood hat for your head. Then take the AT south to Aintry, GA, and tell the locals what you saw there.

...... bend over that log thar, boy
(twisting Roee's ear) let's hear you squeeel like a pig

eeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!<!-- / message -->

RD: If this will be your first visit to America let me assure you this response is not typical of most Americans. As someone not familiar with our country you ask questions about areas that will help you make decisions about your hike. Unfortunately, you will sometimes get this crap! Don't let it discourage you. If you want to visit Dollywood, Hollywood or any other place, as Nike says, "just do it!" Apparently, some like Bite Blaze are uhappy with people enjoying themselves and try to make them as miserable as themselves. My friend...enjoy YOUR hike.

weirdfrog
03-28-2004, 19:02
Plus, seeing as how Roee's from Israel, I'd be a little more careful using the war zone comparisons...(Doctari-- I know what you meant, and you were being very helpful. It just seemed like an awkward choice of words to me.)
:rolleyes:
no offense intended.

Roee Dotan
03-28-2004, 20:03
Thanks for the help buddies.

I really appreciate it.

I will just let the wind to take me where it wants.

Thanks again, Roee.

Brushy Sage
03-28-2004, 20:51
I didn't go to Dollywood, but I did go into Gatlinburg, and found the Happy Hiker outfitters, and the Grand Prix motel to be excellent resources. One thing I'll forewarn you about: if you are thru-hiking the AT, you will be used to walking at a fairly fast pace. When you get to Gatlinburg between spring and fall, you will find the sidewalks full of people walking VERY SLOWLY; most of them are there for a vacation, and they are in no hurry. Once I adjust to that change of pace (often I just walked in the street!), I found the town to be very friendly, and there were multiple places to shop, eat, resupply, etc. One sidewalk vendor even wanted to sell me some land (which I resisted). I hope you have great fun!

Jimbo0104
03-28-2004, 21:45
You have to go to Dollywood. Ill write more on it later. Just go ahead and plan on doing it. You wont be sorry.

Hikerman
03-28-2004, 23:04
Hi R.D. Yes! Do Dollywood. I am from Orlando Florida and we have more attractions than any other city in the USA and I think that Dollywood is as good or better than most of them at a good price. Plan on taking all day. The water rides are fun too. Take a set of dry clothes and a day pack with you. Don't miss the train ride. Well worth the "0" miles day.
Hikerman.

Doctari
03-28-2004, 23:33
Plus, seeing as how Roee's from Israel, I'd be a little more careful using the war zone comparisons...(Doctari-- I know what you meant, and you were being very helpful. It just seemed like an awkward choice of words to me.)
:rolleyes:
no offense intended.

None taken :)
I wasn't paying attention, altho I knew where Roee is from, but i'm Dane Bramaged, , , or Brain damaged, , , it's something I'm sure.

Sorry RD!

Have fun.

Additional hints for that area:
Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg can cause you to blow a month of thru hiker budget in a few hours if you aint careful.
A GREAT re-supply place in Gatlinburg is Battles grocery, ask the tram bus driver or Happy Hiker staff. Battles is on the same road as the Post office, you pass the PO getting to/from Battles and also pass 2 laudromats (I have used both, decent places) all at or near shuttle stops. Battles is where the "Locals" shop, & prices/selection are very good.
If you MUST play minature golf, I suggest Hillbilly golf, between lights 2 & 3 in Gatlinburg.
Most Gatlinburg "landmarks ar related to the traffic light numbers. Number 10 is closest to the trail, number 2 is the furthest, traffic light number one no longer exists. Shoneys AYCE is about light #5.

Doctari.

tombone
03-29-2004, 00:11
battle's grocery closed this winter - a save - a lot store is going to open there sometime in the future. battle's fell victim to grocery store wars - food city built down the street and they were history in just a few short months.

Doctari
03-29-2004, 08:47
battle's grocery closed this winter - a save - a lot store is going to open there sometime in the future. Battle's fell victim to grocery store wars - food city built down the street and they were history in just a few short months.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
They closed???????
Damn! We were just there late April last year, I actually liked shopping there (I normally HATE shopping).
I'll not use Food City, just because. And I bet they jack up the prices now that Battles is gone.

Thanks for the update.

Doctari.

d'shadow
03-29-2004, 17:35
We went to Dollywood a couple of years ago and I didn't expect much...well, I had a blast, rode every ride they had, ate great food, fun, fun, fun...it may be a small park, but I recommend it to any one who wants to have a good time:clap

U-BOLT
03-29-2004, 17:53
I heard Battles was overpriced. Where did all the locals go for low price groceries?

Lilred
03-29-2004, 19:06
Definately hit Dollywood. And if you have the time and money, stop at The Dixie Stampede and get a feel of the old wild, wild west. Gives you a great feel of America's western frontier, including cowboys and Indians. GREAT ENTERTAINMENT, but kinda pricey.