PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get disturbed by this?

Sailor (The other one)
11-03-2008, 20:44
We hiked from Three Forks to Unico last month and came across some stuff we think is really disturbing. The first photo we took near a little stream north of Dans Gap, where there was a pretty little campsite. Someone just dumped their left-over noodles on the ground about ten feet from the stream.
In Low Gap we found a tree with a couple of nails in it. They look pretty new and one is quite large.

Gray Blazer
11-03-2008, 20:48
Keep going. You'll get even more disturbed. Some hikers is dumb!

Roots
11-03-2008, 20:52
You want to see something really scarey? Go through there in March and April.

Bulldawg
11-03-2008, 20:55
Yep yep Roots. I've learned to pick up what I can afford to carry and ignore the rest as best I can.

NewEnglandMiles86
11-03-2008, 21:03
that nail looks like it was used to clean some sort of animal or is that just me?

Mother Nature
11-03-2008, 21:06
As a trail overseer in GA (my husband and I have 2.5 of the last 3 miles in GA) you can find just about anything tossed aside and dumped...especially during prime hiking season.

Just this past weekend I was cleaning out a firepit on a campsite in my section and found it loaded with plastic bottles, cigarette butts, burnt aluminum foil, half burned sardine cans, and a pair of half burned socks. It is a quiet time of year with little foot traffic and I had been there two days before and cleaned out the firepit with similar junk left from the previous visitor.

These were obviously just weekend visitors. Beats me why you can carry the stuff in but you can't carry it out.

Summit
11-03-2008, 21:09
that nail looks like it was used to clean some sort of animal or is that just me?Just you they hung on the nail? :D :p RB, get used to it . . . jerks are everywhere. The #1 oxymoron is "common sense." Common sense is one of the most uncommon things I encounter. :( I think somebody here on WB has the famous quote of that in their signature.

Roots
11-03-2008, 21:10
As a trail overseer in GA (my husband and I have 2.5 of the last 3 miles in GA) you can find just about anything tossed aside and dumped...especially during prime hiking season.

Just this past weekend I was cleaning out a firepit on a campsite in my section and found it loaded with plastic bottles, cigarette butts, burnt aluminum foil, half burned sardine cans, and a pair of half burned socks. It is a quiet time of year with little foot traffic and I had been there two days before and cleaned out the firepit with similar junk left from the previous visitor.

These were obviously just weekend visitors. Beats me why you can carry the stuff in but you can't carry it out.

You guys do a great job! :)

I have found so much stuff it is ridiculous. Gungho and I followed a path of freshly smoked cigarette butts from Dicks Creek to Deep Gap this past summer. We would see one every 1/2 to a mile. Not to mention how many of the same kind were around the shelter areas.

trouthunter
11-03-2008, 21:56
that nail looks like it was used to clean some sort of animal or is that just me?

You may be correct!
Do any trees have purple sap?

Bearpaw
11-03-2008, 22:00
Don't sweat it. It could be a lot worse. The noodles are already gone, eaten by critters. The nails will be used unless they are removed. Spend much time on the AT and you'll see much worse.

Chaco Taco
11-03-2008, 22:05
What is even worse is when thru hikers ditch their empty foil bags of tuna into a fire pit and when you tell them it doesnt belong there, they say the maintainers can pick it up.
However on the other side of that, I hiked with some great people that would pack out others hikers trash. We had contest on who could gather the most trash.

Spirit Walker
11-03-2008, 22:28
A lot of people hike the AT with little prior experience and no idea of LNT. I've seen noodles in the water supply. Worse was the bar of soap someone had left behind at another spring. I spoke sharply to someone who left their trash in the fire pit. Their reply, "Someone will burn it." Then there was the guy who tossed his spare shoes into the fire because he got tired of carrying them. Those sneakers STANK! It seemed that after Virginia there were fewer problems, mostly because the newbies either learned or dropped off.

Kirby
11-03-2008, 22:35
Someone left a lot of rocks on the trail in PA.

Kirby

weary
11-03-2008, 22:40
A lot of people hike the AT with little prior experience and no idea of LNT. I've seen noodles in the water supply. Worse was the bar of soap someone had left behind at another spring. I spoke sharply to someone who left their trash in the fire pit. Their reply, "Someone will burn it." Then there was the guy who tossed his spare shoes into the fire because he got tired of carrying them. Those sneakers STANK! It seemed that after Virginia there were fewer problems, mostly because the newbies either learned or dropped off.
I think a great part of the problem has been the switch from "Carry in, Carry out," to "leave no trace."

Anyone bright enough to walk a long distance trail, knows that "leave no trace" is an impossibility. All they need to do is look behind them and see the trace of their footprints.

Since, "Leave no trace" is an impossible goal, most walkers simply tune out the message." Sad, but true, Weary!

CaptChaos
11-03-2008, 22:57
Noodles, nails, etc., give me a break.

What about all of the horse crap on the trail. Does that bother anyone?

Come on up to Kentucky and we can go to Mammoth Cave National Park and we can enjoy a wonderful day hiking the backcountry and cleaning our boots of all the horse crap on the trail.

I don't hike Mammoth Cave National Park anymore because of the crap.'

For the last 10 years I have been hiking the Smokies and the crap is their as well. What really excites me is when I go to pump water from a spring and I get to brush the horse turds out of the way while I pump away.

LNT, I get tired of hearing about it. If you respect the outdoors you will LNT by your very nature. But it's hard to get excited about it when I hike by piles and sometimes pools of horse crap and urine on the trail.

What is worse? You tell me. I'll take some noodles on the trail anyday over what I see all the time.

Chaco Taco
11-04-2008, 00:08

Kirby

must be the same people that left all the mud in Vermont

Chaco Taco
11-04-2008, 00:09

Come on up to Kentucky and we can go to Mammoth Cave National Park and we can enjoy a wonderful day hiking the backcountry and cleaning our boots of all the horse crap on the trail.

For the last 10 years I have been hiking the Smokies and the crap is their as well. What really excites me is when I go to pump water from a spring and I get to brush the horse turds out of the way while I pump away.

LNT, I get tired of hearing about it. If you respect the outdoors you will LNT by your very nature. But it's hard to get excited about it when I hike by piles and sometimes pools of horse crap and urine on the trail.

What is worse? You tell me. I'll take some noodles on the trail anyday over what I see all the time.

Where is Johnny Thunder on this one?
What chya'll think bout all this harse dookie on tha trail?

emerald
11-04-2008, 00:18

Not me, because I rarely hike where it's an issue, but if I did I'd expect to see it and wouldn't dwell upon it. Maybe by focusing upon it, some lose sight of everything else. I don't hike to see horse nuttles, nor post to whine about them.

LNT, I get tired of hearing about it. If you respect the outdoors you will LNT by your very nature.

If this knowledge is innate, how is it that some backcountry visitors appear to know nothing of it? Maybe it's not innate but rather something which must be learned?

Kirby

I'd bet I know at least one person who didn't toss any of them off the trail.

emerald
11-04-2008, 03:02
I think a great part of the problem has been the switch from "Carry in, Carry out," to "leave no trace."

Anyone bright enough to walk a long distance trail, knows that "leave no trace" is an impossibility. All they need to do is look behind them and see the trace of their footprints.

Since, "Leave no trace" is an impossible goal, most walkers simply tune out the message.

The situation won't be improved by starting one or more new threads every year where people do little more than take issue with LNT rather than help promote it.

I believe anyone bright enough to walk a long distance trail wouldn't take "leave no trace" literally, but rather as an ideal for which to strive.

Some time ago I promised to post an image of a 1970s era sign (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29052) perhaps more to your liking. What do you think of it?

strates
11-04-2008, 03:44
I've never had much complaint about horse crap on the trail... but the moose in Vermont (and other areas, im sure) definitely need to learn how not to crap on our trail. How rude can they get?

Lone Wolf
11-04-2008, 04:31
Where is Johnny Thunder on this one?
What chya'll think bout all this harse dookie on tha trail?

it's a non-issue

Odd Thomas
11-04-2008, 07:07

yea, that sucks.

Pony
11-04-2008, 09:04
Does anyone get offended by the crap from the "wild" ponies at Grayson Highlands? Or is the real issue that people have their horses on "our" hiking trails? I saw way more bear poop in SNP than I did horse crap in GSMNP, and bear poop is by far more disgusting.

I did walk up on some kids washing his cookpot in a spring, the conversation went something like this.

Me: Who's the d*****bag that washed their pot in the spring?
Kid: that was us. (with a smile on his face)
Me: Well d*****bag how about if you filter me some water since you tainted the spring.
Kid: Huh? (confused look and then he filtered a liter of water for me.)

Later that night I saw these same kids eating dinner at a table next to me in Hot Springs. The one who washed their pot in the spring had his order all screwed up and was very upset. I smiled.

The sad part is that I don't think it ever occured to them that they shouldn't wash their pots in the spring.

aaroniguana
11-04-2008, 09:18
Horse crap, though slightly irritating, is a natural, beneficial product. The wrappings of some moron's dinner strewn about a campsite are not.

Tin Man
11-04-2008, 09:27
Do bears crap in the woods?

woodsy
11-04-2008, 09:34
I've never had much complaint about horse crap on the trail... but the moose in Vermont (and other areas, im sure) definitely need to learn how not to crap on our trail. How rude can they get?
I know you're just joking, but so everyone else knows, its their trail, you are just a visitor in their territory.
Once hikers leave the trail in late fall, the Moose move back in and the AT and other trails become their winter highways.;)

Tilly
11-04-2008, 09:55

Oh, this is such a shame! I stopped in Mammoth Cave for one rainy day on the way back from the Smokies in '06. We did 2 cave tours, I thought that the tourguides and obv. the caves were excellent. The surrounding areas looked very pretty, and I saw that they have backcountry camping.

I always kept Mammoth Cave in mind for somewhere to backpack for a few days or a week.

That year in the Smokies we hiked mostly on (non AT) horse trails that were really beat up and covered with crap. But it was okay.

So this year, we hiked the North South Trail in LBL, KY. After that hike I pretty much vowed never to hike on horse trails again. There is a 15+ mile section of that trail that is pretty much rototilled, poop covered, and the horses themselves have made cheater trails, making a trail wider than an actual road sometimes. What a mess. But the icing on the cake is the amount of garbage that the horseback riders throw all over the trail. It's awful. And I know it's them because 1) the rest of the trail doesn't have any garbage on it and 2) I just doubt backpackers would pack in LIGHT beer or DIET soda.

That's too bad. Mammoth Cave seems lovely. Maybe one day I'll go back there just to camp and do some short walks but not to backpack. It's just not worth it on those horse trails IMHO.

So now I avoid horse trails.

Tin Man
11-04-2008, 09:56
http://pdf.buildasign.com/Proof.ashx?tcid=4D4366516B6E54696F4C383D&width=700&height=450&watermark=false

SassyWindsor
11-04-2008, 10:06
Last fall we nearly stepped into deer guts and carcass near a trail head (terrible smell to say the least). Looks like the hunters would at least toss them into the woods. Have also witnessed TP/Waste directly on the trail near trail heads. Just Lovely. I guess some people think the public forrest is just a dumping ground for their abuse.

kanga
11-04-2008, 10:30
i think those nasty bears and horses and deer should have to pack out their own crap. i mean who do they think they are?!

just sayin'.

Bearpaw
11-04-2008, 10:35
That's too bad. Mammoth Cave seems lovely. Maybe one day I'll go back there just to camp and do some short walks but not to backpack. It's just not worth it on those horse trails IMHO.

Go ahead and backpack it. It's worth it. Yes, some trails are mucked up pretty heavily by hooves, but the ones on higher gournd (Collie Ridge Trail and Buffalo Trail) are hardpacked and in good shape. The Sal Hollow Trail is foot and bike only and is in generally very good shape. And the heavy damage to the other trails is largely just where stream crossings mean hooves are constantly churning up mud.

Granted, it wasn't always like this. When I first started backpacking in the early 80's, most of my trips were at Mammoth Cave. You were glad for the few horses there to keep the trail tread from overgrowing. In the late 90's, when I returned to the area just before and after my AT thru-hike, there was a bit more horse traffic, but still not bad.

The advent of commercial pack trip outfitters has greatly increased the damage from horses. But it would be a real shame to pass up Mammoth Cave just because of some mud and turds.

flemdawg1
11-04-2008, 13:04
http://www.alatrails.com/photos/albums/userpics/10037/normal_mudhole_trail.jpg

Sorry Bearpaw, but the trails @ MCNP are basically muddy, crap-filled, ditches now. There are practically no trails where they aren't allowed either.

Jeepocachers
11-04-2008, 13:23

I would actually take the horse crap anyday compared to my hike last month in the smokies. Someone thought they could bury human crap under 6" of leaves and it would serve just as well. Needless to say, I'd rather dig horse crap out of my shoe than that! This was in the middle of the campsite too!

Tilly
11-04-2008, 13:42
http://www.alatrails.com/photos/albums/userpics/10037/normal_mudhole_trail.jpg

Sorry Bearpaw, but the trails @ MCNP are basically muddy, crap-filled, ditches now. There are practically no trails where they aren't allowed either.

Oh, and that is NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to some horse trail's I've seen. That trail treadway looks great compared to some...

And, I don't see any garbage lining the trail. That's what bothers me the most about horse trails.

Bearpaw
11-04-2008, 14:17

The trails I mentioned are the ones Sleeps With Skunks and I have hiked on in the last year and a half. There are still some good options. It also helps to avoid going after heavy rain.

flemdawg1
11-04-2008, 15:29
Well ya got me there BP, it did rain both mornings we were hiking there :o. I'll see if I can talk DW into trying a diferent trail instead of Good Spring Loop.

Any suggestions?

Bearpaw
11-04-2008, 16:07
Well ya got me there BP, it did rain both mornings we were hiking there :o. I'll see if I can talk DW into trying a diferent trail instead of Good Spring Loop.

Any suggestions?

Oh SNAP!! (Yeah, I really said that :o). Good Springs Loop is BAD, no question about it! My wife had choice words for it.

Another rough trail, at least in places, is First Creek Trail. There are at couple of sections where it is pretty badly churned for a good 200-400 yards.

Check out McCoy Hollow, Collie Ridge, Sal Hollow, and Buffalo Trails. Except for stream crossings, they are generally in good to very good shape. This map (http://www.mammoth.cave.national-park.com/map.htm) gives you some decent options. After a rain, try sticking to higher ground trails like Collie Ridge or Buffalo Trail.

hperry
11-04-2008, 17:54
Horse crap, though slightly irritating, is a natural, beneficial product. The wrappings of some moron's dinner strewn about a campsite are not.
the materials used for wrapping don't come from nature?:-?

Frosty
11-04-2008, 17:56

Since, "Leave no trace" is an impossible goal, most walkers simply tune out the message." Sad, but true, Weary!Good point. I hadn't thought of it in those terms but Carry In, Carry Out is a specific, concrete instruction that anyone an understand. Leave No Trace is a good goal, but does not tell you what to do or how to do it.

dan8794
11-04-2008, 18:55
Gotta question...what do you think about those who dip tobacco?

Is it okay to toss the wad into the woods or do you prefer taking the wad out and putting it in with the rest of my trash?

Thanks.

Bearpaw
11-04-2008, 19:06

Is it okay to toss the wad into the woods or do you prefer taking the wad out and putting it in with the rest of my trash?

Thanks.

Plenty of folks will say pack it out, but my question is will any body ever notice it in a temperate forest, among a bed of leaves? Tobacco is, after all, a leaf.

Just be prepared to be branded an axe murderer by some for even asking...

warraghiyagey
11-04-2008, 19:08
Littering is bad

Skidsteer
11-04-2008, 19:09

A six inch cat hole is the only responsible disposal method for dippers and chewers.

'Course that still leaves five feet or more above ground and those legs flailing about can be lethal.

smokymtnsteve
11-04-2008, 19:12
300x300

in remote sections i'd say just throw it as far as you can.

emerald
11-04-2008, 19:19
Pack it in, pack it out! I mean if you can pack it in, you can certainly pack it out.

Consider the location. Some are more pristine than others and some are more heavily trafficked than others. Be mindful of those who will follow you and how your actions will impact upon them. Show them the same consideration you would expect them to show you were you following them.

Tossing refuse where volunteers need to clean it up regularly to keep things looking presentable isn't at all considerate. Most would probably rather spend their time on activities other than picking up after people who are perfectly capable of picking up after themselves. They might like to spend some time hiking too.

To answer your question more directly, I think it would be best to pack it out. When I worked for USFS, they expected their employees to field-strip their cigarette butts, pack out the filter and scatter any remaining tobacco after making certain it's extinuished. There is a difference and I don't know what the impact might be on wildlife, but it's an idea worthy of consideration.

SOG

hperry
11-04-2008, 19:45
i think those nasty bears and horses and deer should have to pack out their own crap. i mean who do they think they are?!

just sayin'.
not really comparable to horses. Do people domesticate bears and march them down hiking trails?

just sayin.

smokymtnsteve
11-04-2008, 19:46
yea I got grizz and moose poop all in my yard.

saimyoji
11-04-2008, 20:38
This is what we should be worried about....not horse **** in the woods.

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Trashing-Oceans-Plastic4nov02.htm

emerald
11-04-2008, 21:24
Do we no longer have an Other Trails forum? Would not discussions about MCNP trails be better conducted there?

It seems to me a significant portion of what's posted to this thread doesn't bear on the AT and LNT as practiced on it. Maybe I missed something?

I would think readers better served were posts to this thread directed more toward the AT and helping to bring newbies up to speed.

kanga
11-05-2008, 10:24
not really comparable to horses. Do people domesticate bears and march them down hiking trails?

just sayin.

it's ****. no matter where it comes from it's still just ****. and people should be the only ones allowed in the woods too. sarcasm off. as for the dip question, throw it in the woods. it's a chewed up leaf.

emerald
11-05-2008, 13:53
it's ****. no matter where it comes from it's still just ****. and people should be the only ones allowed in the woods too. sarcasm off. as for the dip question, throw it in the woods. it's a chewed up leaf.

It is not a chewed up oak or maple leaf. Probably, it would do little, if any, harm, but it isn't a leaf (leaves) like those on the forest floor in many ways. There is also a difference between leaf tobacco and snuff, flavored or not, but I concede many things are far more objectionable visually, cigarette butts for example.

I apologize for the sloppy typing earlier. I was one foot out the door for an appointment.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 13:58
It is not a crewed up oak or maple leaf.

whatever :rolleyes:

kanga
11-05-2008, 15:27
It is not a chewed up oak or maple leaf. Probably, it would do little, if any, harm, but it isn't a leaf (leaves) like those on the forest floor in many ways. There is also a difference between leaf tobacco and snuff, flavored or not, but I concede many things are far more objectionable visually, cigarette butts for example.

I apologize for the sloppy typing earlier. I was one foot out the door for an appointment.

what does it matter what kind of leaf it is? if i pull an eucalyptus leaf off my tree, take it to the trail, and drop it in the woods, is the environment going to collapse in on itself? will we all fall over and die? it will degrade. so will the poop: yours, mine, the horses', the bears'...

emerald
11-05-2008, 15:55
I could respond Sheesh!:rolleyes:, but I won't give you the pleasure.:) Nowhere did I dispute tobacco discarded on the forest floor decays. I suggested there could be visual and wildlife impacts.

I have better fish to fry this afternoon than to argue with hiker trash about hiker trash. Have a nice day!:sun

kanga
11-05-2008, 15:58
I'm could respond Sheesh!:rolleyes:, but I won't give you the pleasure.:) Nowhere did I dispute tobacco discarded on the forest floor decays. I suggested there could be visual and wildlife impacts.

I have better fish to fry this afternoon than to argue with hiker trash about hiker trash. Have a nice day!:sun

but you were doing it so well.. :D

emerald
11-05-2008, 16:01
Thank you. Sometimes I enjoy it more than I should.

CaptChaos
11-05-2008, 22:29
FD1:

Great picture. I have seen this when hiking and instead of rain water we are talking the ground being this wet with urine and horse droppings.

I quit doing the park that we live by years ago and then I went back several years ago and it was not just a problem but the issue has gotten worse. The park service has done nothing to correct damage but let a homesite get donated and they have to tear it down, plow under the land and do all of it in the name of returning the land back to its natural state.

Excuse me NPS, but I have been going to the park in question since I was 7 years old and I am 51 now and I do not believe that areas 6 foot across 10 feet long on the trail with a mud pit that smells so bad you can't stand to be there is not a natural state.

As Bearpaw stated the issue here is the commerical business that pretty much takes over the trails. I remember years ago going to the park and trying to get a backcountry permit and was told that there were none available. I went back the next week and was told the same thing. I went on to the site and waited until midnight and no one ever showed up to camp. I was later told that all of the permits were taken each week by the horse people. Who knows but I never was able to get a permit for the park to camp at night.

As many of you can tell this is a real issue with me but I guess it just comes from wanting to be part of the park service when I was younger. Once I got out of college and found that the wait was 2 years I could not wait around. I ended up in business and by the time it came around to go in the pay cut was something that I could no longer deal with. Married, car payment, apartment rent, etc had got me in to deep.

Since someone said they wanted this to be about the AT then I will relay one story that I saw about 7 years ago at Mollies Ridge while on a trip. A team of pack horses came up and the group was doing work on the AT. I watched the handlers make a horse rope between two trees instead of using the area that was already there for the use of horses. In the morning the damage that had occured during the night in that area was huge. Everyone left in the morning and left this eyesore that would have taken a long time to heal. I just can't do the horse thing as they just tear things up so fast and then they don't accept responsibility for fixing what has been damaged. I guess someone else can deal with it.

Sorry for the rant. Most times I just read what all of you are doing and leave it at that but I had to open my mouth on this one as I believe IMO that it is an issue and it is not just on the AT or the Smokies but at other parks as well.

Later

Bulldawg
11-05-2008, 22:34

Pretty harsh here Huh Grey?

saimyoji
11-05-2008, 22:37
hiker trash. of the blue blazin' variety

emerald
11-05-2008, 22:49
Pretty harsh here Huh Grey?

The quoted material to which you referred really shouldn't be taken out of context. My comment was directed toward a specific individual who returned fired with a comeback of her own and appeared to be enjoying the exchange as much as I was at the time. If you really believe what you posted, go back and read it again.

Bulldawg
11-05-2008, 22:56
The quoted material to which you referred really shouldn't be taken out of context. My comment was directed toward a specific individual who returned fired with a comeback of his own and appeared to be enjoying the exchange as much as I was at the time. If you really believe what you posted, go back and read it again.

What a great deal of insight into your own post. You are just marvelous beyond reproach.

emerald
11-05-2008, 23:09
I'm tempted to make a political comment, but I will withhold it.:) I don't want to invoke the wrath of WB's moderators.

Bulldawg
11-05-2008, 23:13
Don't let the temptation over come you.

BumpJumper
11-06-2008, 01:37
Ouch! This thread is going nowhere quick.

nufsaid
11-06-2008, 02:53

kanga,

So if everyone decides to save time going off trail and digging cat holes and just takes a good **** wherever they are its OK? After all it's **** no matter where it come from. Right?

saimyoji
11-06-2008, 09:01
kanga,

So if everyone decides to save time going off trail and digging cat holes and just takes a good **** wherever they are its OK? After all it's **** no matter where it come from. Right?

perhaps we should use a different font color for sarsasm. :rolleyes:

kanga
11-06-2008, 10:35
was that sarcasm? i thought he was being serious.

kanga
11-06-2008, 10:40
but nuf, seriously. human sensibilities being what they are, let us look at the differences. humans consume meat and a lot of processed junk which in turn makes our poopy pretty foul. harse dookie on the other hand, is just acid-digested grass. now, personally, i don't look forward to stepping in either, but harse dookie breaks down pretty quickly into mulch whereas human poopy will stick to your shoe and stink for days. so, to sum up, no i don't want to step in either, but harse is better than human. and if someone wants to **** in the trail, i'll just say "ew, gross" and step around it. same goes for chewin tabacky. i will not, however, march around snoopy-style with my protest flag.

jhick
11-06-2008, 11:07
'snoopy style'....... HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Roots
11-06-2008, 11:13
harse dookie, acid-digested grass, human poopy, chewin tabacky, and snoopy-style with a protest flag

Who says I have to go to school to learn something new everyday.
LMAO...:D...HAHAHAHA

No Belay
11-06-2008, 11:26
but nuf, seriously. human sensibilities being what they are, let us look at the differences. humans consume meat and a lot of processed junk which in turn makes our poopy pretty foul. harse dookie on the other hand, is just acid-digested grass. now, personally, i don't look forward to stepping in either, but harse dookie breaks down pretty quickly into mulch whereas human poopy will stick to your shoe and stink for days. so, to sum up, no i don't want to step in either, but harse is better than human. and if someone wants to **** in the trail, i'll just say "ew, gross" and step around it. same goes for chewin tabacky. i will not, however, march around snoopy-style with my protest flag.

Now you pissed Woodstock off!! Snoop was protesting "Sh1t on" not "Sh1t under." :D

mechanic.mike
11-06-2008, 11:56

Kirby

Sorry about that, I picked up what I could carry out. :)

saimyoji
11-06-2008, 12:17
was that sarcasm? i thought he was being serious.

i was refering to your sarcasm, not in a sarcastic way, but rather in a sarcastic way to his lack of understanding your sarcasm.

i will not, however, march around snoopy-style with my protest flag.

just let your freak flag fly

kanga
11-06-2008, 12:48
i was refering to your sarcasm, not in a sarcastic way, but rather in a sarcastic way to his lack of understanding your sarcasm.

heehee! i was being sarcastic...:D

just let your freak flag fly
every day! :banana

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 12:57
his own

Shades, Kanga is a her, not a his. And may I take this opportunity to say Kanga is a very strong hiker who would probably out hike me and most of the couch potatoes on this site who sit around all day long and argue about trivial matters. Thank you Sir!

jhick
11-06-2008, 12:59
Shades, Kanga is a her, not a his. And may I take this opportunity to say Kanga is a very strong hiker who would probably out hike me and most of the couch potatoes on this site who sit around all day long and argue about trivial matters. Thank you Sir!

yeah, but I heard she filters her water.... wus. ;)

seriously, she is a wonderful woman. :banana

nufsaid
11-06-2008, 13:02

Kanga,

I agree that some types of processed meat can cause issues. However, horse meat is very tasty, lean, and very clean due to their diet. Maybe the answer is to ignore the "eat more chicken" campaign and eat more horse?

kanga
11-06-2008, 14:38

seriously, she is a wonderful woman. :banana

i do not!! i protest! (kanga seen marching and waving) i only filter mud puddles.

and thanx for the compliments guys

kanga
11-06-2008, 14:40
Kanga,

I agree that some types of processed meat can cause issues. However, horse meat is very tasty, lean, and very clean due to their diet. Maybe the answer is to ignore the "eat more chicken" campaign and eat more horse?

well, get your ghilli out and let's go! i've never tried horse meat. i wonder if it tastes like moose?..

saimyoji
11-06-2008, 14:42

isn't she a red-head too? :eek:

jhick
11-06-2008, 14:55

careful now... you'll get us both lassoed! :eek:

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 14:55

Yes sir and you know what they say about red heads right..............:cool::rolleyes:

jhick
11-06-2008, 14:58
Yes sir and you know what they say about red heads right..............:cool::rolleyes:

they don't take $#!t ? ;)

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 15:00

Yeah!!:D

That was exactly what I was thinking!:rolleyes::cool:

nufsaid
11-06-2008, 15:29

Unless it is from a horse?

jhick
11-06-2008, 15:33
Unless it is from a horse?

but they certainly don't take $#!t from cows!

auburnbreeze
11-06-2008, 16:34

What do they say about redheads?

jhick
11-06-2008, 16:40
What do they say about redheads?

they say that they rule!!!

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 17:00
they say that they rule!!!

Yeah, what he said!

kanga
11-06-2008, 17:11
they recover well, don't they girl?

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 17:17
they recover well, don't they girl?

Indeed we do! Years of practice!

Two Speed
11-06-2008, 17:20
Wimps.

sheepdog
11-06-2008, 17:29
Wimps.
Since I am married to a red head, it's called wisdom.:D

Tin Man
11-06-2008, 17:30
where am i? must have logged into the wrong place.

DC2.2GSR
11-06-2008, 17:39
i know this thread has become more and more off topic, but as a response to the first page (all i read), 3 weeks ago a few friends and i had hiked from rt. 309 to Bake Oven Knob in PA and were sickened by the trash (garbage and human alike) that was found up at BOK. we were going to spend the night and hike out in the morning but decided to backtrack a mile or so to get away from the easily accessable Bake Oven Road. the site we stopped at (out of necessity) was the most disgusting one i've ever seen.

there was a fire mound... not pit. on top of this still smoldering mound was a tent. yep, a tent. 75% gone except for the poles and stakes. trash everywhere. three huge bottles of liquor, 2 broken, one intact. tin cans, aluminum foil, you name it. there was even a new looking metal grill for cooking.

we packed out what we could stand to touch, burnt the rest of the thin tent material, packed out the poles and grill, and i rebuilt the fire pit in the morning. hopefully someone else took care of the rest of the site after us. we could only grab so much.

it's terrible what some people get away with.

taildragger
11-06-2008, 17:44
where am i? must have logged into the wrong place.

Wasn't that what part of this thread was about, logging off in the middle of a trail :sun

saimyoji
11-06-2008, 18:54
im still waitin to be lassooooed.

emerald
11-06-2008, 19:02
Shades, Kanga is a her, not a his. And may I take this opportunity to say Kanga is a very strong hiker who would probably out hike me and most of the couch potatoes on this site who sit around all day long and argue about trivial matters.

Post noted, public profiles read and correct gendered pronoun substituted. Sorry Beth and thank you, John, for correcting me.

I'm not seeing much discussion that will result in change for the better or anyone learning something new in this thread or elsewhere on WhiteBlaze tonight, despite the high volume of posting. Seeing nothing of interest, I'll occupy myself in other ways.

I did observe something which may or may not be of interest to both of you. If you want anyone to be able to read your user profiles, you really ought to think about changing your customizations. Your profiles are nearly impossible to read without disabling the changes you've made.

kanga
11-06-2008, 21:21
Post noted, public profiles read and correct gendered pronoun substituted. Sorry Beth and thank you, John, for correcting me.

I'm not seeing much discussion that will result in change for the better or anyone learning something new in this thread or elsewhere on WhiteBlaze tonight, despite the high volume of posting. Seeing nothing of interest, I'll occupy myself in other ways.

I did observe something which may or may not be of interest to both of you. If you want anyone to be able to read your user profiles, you really ought to think about changing your customizations. Your profiles are nearly impossible to read without disabling the changes you've made.

sokay. as for the thread drift, it was to lighten the mood i would imagine.

one of the greatest and yet most infuriating parts of life is that you can only be responsible for your own actions. sadly, many many people are completely inconsiderate. of everything. the best we can hope for is that others like us are willing and able to pick up the messes of others as best we can and when the opportunity arises, educate those that will listen in the ways of best taking care of our earth.
and when you catch those that dont care in the act, chew some major a$$.

Bulldawg
11-06-2008, 21:37
one of the greatest and yet most infuriating parts of life is that you can only be responsible for your own actions. sadly, many many people are completely inconsiderate. of everything. the best we can hope for is that others like us are willing and able to pick up the messes of others as best we can and when the opportunity arises, educate those that will listen in the ways of best taking care of our earth.
and when you catch those that dont care in the act, chew some major a$$.

Well said my female friend!

woodsy
11-06-2008, 21:38
Kanga: chew some major a$$.Just don't spit it out side the trail after....

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2008, 22:23
well, get your ghilli out and let's go! i've never tried horse meat. i wonder if it tastes like moose?..

You would have to jump on a plane to France or drive to Canada (not Alberta) where they still eat Horse Meat. I think they call it cheval. The taste is a leaner smoother beef flavor. No I haven't eaten horse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

What they do with it.

http://www.viande-chevaline.fr/

mudhead
11-07-2008, 07:34
Neigh.

flemdawg1
11-07-2008, 11:22
Thank you DC2.2GSR.

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 21:53
Two incidents:
I recall at Bradley Spring in north Florida we camped one night, getting water from the 3' X 5' walled spring that had run for over a hundred years. The next morning we could see why the water tasted so funny........someone had cleaned about a dozen squrriels and left the water full of bloodied guts and skins.
So it could be worse. Hiking the Florida Trail on the Greenway towards the I-75 overpass, I hit a section that allows hourses and the ONLY water source after ten very dry miles was a slimy and green water trough that folks were letting the horses drink from.....yummy. I went another couple miles without water rather than drink out of that! I figured no amount of bleach was going to make it safe.
When you hike you learn to accept, adapt, overcome or just go on WB and whine about it.

emerald
11-07-2008, 23:53
I read a great post today on another website about an experience at Grayson Highlands SP involving wild ponies (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7352). Since it was AT-related and in sharp contrast to the anti-equine rhetoric here, I wanted to mention it.

Tin Man
11-08-2008, 00:50
I read a great post today on another website about an experience in Grayson Highlands SP involving wild ponies. Since it was AT-related and in sharp contrast to the anti-equine rhetoric here, I wanted to mention it.

mention what? horses poop? :rolleyes:

emerald
11-08-2008, 11:44
No, contrary to the experiences of some hikers, there are those whose exeriences are enhanced by the presence of horses.

saimyoji
11-08-2008, 11:49
No, contrary to the experiences of some hikers, there are those whose exeriences are enhanced by the presence of horses.

So you have a poop fetish? :eek:

Or would it be a fecal equine affinity?

Tin Man
11-08-2008, 11:51
:D
So you have a poop fetish?

hahahaha :D

emerald
11-08-2008, 12:05
So you have a poop fetish? :eek:

You might ask your question of those who display an interest in the subject. Sorry, I have no time for pointless banter today, having higher priorities and I already skipped an AT clean-up because of them.

saimyoji
11-08-2008, 12:11
....having higher priorities and I already skipped a AT clean-up because of them.

slacker. :D

Heater
11-09-2008, 01:40
Wasn't that what part of this thread was about, logging off in the middle of a trail :sun

"logging off" :banana In the middle of the trail?

Heh... I never heard that one before. :-?

You could get arrested for that... :o

Heater
11-09-2008, 01:44
You might ask your question of those who display an interest in the subject. Sorry, I have no time for pointless banter today, having higher priorities and I already skipped an AT clean-up because of them.

Maybe more fiber in the diet might do the trick. :-?

Doctari
11-09-2008, 09:00
Yea, nasty. Not the worst I have seen, but sadly, its all part of the hiking experience.

The pile of noodles reminds me of a trip Coffee & I took with my work partner Matt: Matt was a traditional packer (read "HEAVY PACK!") & tho we hiked together, this was Matt's first ever solo hike (Him carrying all the gear he used etc.) So, first time ever setting up his tent by himself, first time using the stove as his wife did all the on trail cooking. So, Coffee & I were done eating & setting up camp way before he even started to assemble his stove. Just as his noodles were ready to eat, & as he removed the lid from his pot: his pot dumped over, landing top side down on top of his pile of noodles. :eek:

Yep, I laughed. :D Alot!

So did coffee (Yes you did).

Then we offered him food, even offered to cook it for him. He ate a candy bar & called it a night.

Perhaps that is what happened here.

I have no explination for the nail.

Plodderman
11-11-2008, 18:24
Some people just carry to much stuff in and leave it behind somewhere. At a Shelter near Damascus you could just take whatever you wanted as it had evething from sleeping bags to cans of waterproof spray. Probably last minutes jitters and stocked up to much.

In th past few years hiking on the trail I have found most people to very nice and neat on the trail.

smokymtnsteve
11-11-2008, 19:14
I read a great post today on another website about an experience at Grayson Highlands SP involving wild ponies (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7352). Since it was AT-related and in sharp contrast to the anti-equine rhetoric here, I wanted to mention it.

while wild ponies are in that area ,,they are not confined to the trail and the poop is not concentrated

sheepdog
11-11-2008, 20:47
Just as his noodles were ready to eat, & as he removed the lid from his pot: his pot dumped over, landing top side down on top of his pile of noodles. :eek:

Yep, I laughed. :D Alot!

So did coffee (Yes you did).

Then we offered him food, even offered to cook it for him. He ate a candy bar & called it a night.

Perhaps that is what happened here.

I have no explination for the nail.

Wouldn't a real hiker have eaten the noodles on top, at least until he got to the dirty ones?:-?

SunnyWalker
11-12-2008, 21:51
DC2: Wow, that was a lot of work. I have not seen that kind of damage over here in NM where I hike. But I am going to start carrying a couple of large garbage bags and double them and seem what I can carry out. Thanks for the inspiration. -SunnyWalker

Cutty
11-12-2008, 23:58
you Want To See Something Really Scarey? Go Through There In March And April.

Roots,

Hope To Get To See You And Yours At The Soruck This Year!
Will You Be There? Hope You Are. Last Year Got Spoked Cause Of
Weather Worrys!
Cutty

SunnyWalker
11-15-2008, 11:45
Has anyone ever done a photo diary of trail damage and/or garbage and stuff left by users of the AT? It might be interesting. Kind of a documentary. Wake many up to reality.

SunnyWalker
11-15-2008, 11:46
What I meant was a photo documentary from Springer to katahdin.
-SunnyWalker

TOW
11-15-2008, 11:57
someone Left A Lot Of Rocks On The Trail In Pa.

Kirbythat Was Me That Did That, I Carried Them All Down There From Vermont......

must Be The Same People That Left All The Mud In Vermontthat Was Me Too, I Packed It All Up There From Pa.