PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest Repair question

Chaco Taco
11-03-2008, 21:03
I have a leak in my thermarest Prolite, I think around the valve somewhere. I hear that submerging it in a bath tub will help find it. Need help on finding the leak.

bigcranky
11-03-2008, 21:08
Submerging in water would work. Or you could mix some dish soap in water and brush it around the valve. Bubbles will form at the leak.

Chaco Taco
11-03-2008, 21:17
Ahh yes, ok gotcha

Chaco Taco
11-03-2008, 22:09
Didnt work, still cant find the leak. Not in the valve

Manwich
11-03-2008, 23:02
fold it up accordian style and submerge it, if bubbles arent coming out, it aint leakin

adventurousmtnlvr
11-03-2008, 23:32
what the others said .. but here is a video as well although it's on the main body of the sleeping pad, not the valve ... however it does say to use a toothbrush on occasion to clean the grooves of the valve so IT doesn't leak ... so if you thought it was the valve ... try that (that part is in the video) video (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-patch-a-sleeping-pad-248953/)

Chaco Taco
11-04-2008, 00:03
fold it up accordian style and submerge it, if bubbles arent coming out, it aint leakin

well then how is it that I blow it up and after 3-4 minutes it loses its pressure?

Feral Bill
11-04-2008, 01:01
I had an old Thermarest that developed a slow leak. Very slow. No amount of submerging, soapy water or other tricks found the leak. It was old, so I pitched it. If your leak can't be found, and is not ancient, you might want to make it Thermarest's problem and see if they will replace it.

stranger
11-04-2008, 02:50
It's a real pain in the rear to find a leak, but I managed to in Hiawassee earlier this year using the bathtub method - but it did take some time.

The other option is to replace the valve, as that could be the problem. Sometimes the valves leak very slowly and might not be picked up by bubbles in water.

You can always send it to Cascade Designs and they can fix it.

buz
11-04-2008, 10:11
I would say if you have tried with these methods and still cant find the leak, call CD, especially if your mat is relatively new. They are good to work with, at least in my experience. Another way is to blo up as much as possible, have soapy water mix in tub/ bucket, apply to mattress in sections and sit on it and watch. Move wet around entire mattress. Putting pressure on the mat helps make those tiny leaks bubble.

gold bond
11-04-2008, 11:21
If it looses pressure in 3-4 min Ray Charles ought to be able and find that leak! You my need to put it in a tub of water and just watch it for a few minutes as the leak may be irratic. It also may be leaking from one or more places.

bigcranky
11-04-2008, 16:45
Apply lots of pressure -- inflate the pad, then fold it and kneel down on the folded part. That ought to help.

stranger
11-07-2008, 01:29
Or buy a new one!