PDA

View Full Version : Hwy421 to Damascus / Water

ponyVet66
11-04-2008, 13:05
Sorry for another question on water availability, I know it's a dry subject (forgive me, I couldn't resist). I'm looking to do the section between 421 and Damascus next weekend with a few friends. I know it's not that long of a section but we are going to take it slow and enjoy the weekend out. I'm not planning on staying at the Abingdon Gap shelter but plan to fill up on water there. Does anybody know the water status? I was up a few weeks ago and it was no more than a trickle if that. Any substantial rain since then? Any other water sources I can rely on in that section. Probably go about halfway and tent camp that night. Thanks for the help.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2008, 13:12
Last time I heard Ab Gap Shelter was a little low but flowing. The springs around Double Springs Gap and just outside of Damascus are not that reliable. I would pack extra water.

Or if you have a 4x4 at use. You can drive up McQueens Gap Road and leave a water cache.

Lone Wolf
11-04-2008, 13:43
Sorry for another question on water availability, I know it's a dry subject (forgive me, I couldn't resist). I'm looking to do the section between 421 and Damascus next weekend with a few friends. I know it's not that long of a section but we are going to take it slow and enjoy the weekend out. I'm not planning on staying at the Abingdon Gap shelter but plan to fill up on water there. Does anybody know the water status? I was up a few weeks ago and it was no more than a trickle if that. Any substantial rain since then? Any other water sources I can rely on in that section. Probably go about halfway and tent camp that night. Thanks for the help.

no rain to speak of since then so it's a trickle or less. you DO NOT need a 4WD vehicle to stash water at McQueen's gap road

Kerosene
11-04-2008, 15:09
Last Sunday, 10/26, the single spring at Double Springs Shelter (south of 421) was active, although no longer flowing through the pipe, requiring a dip cup. Sorry, I didn't check Abingdon Gap myself, but I'm pretty sure that there was water there. The entire area is dry, dry, dry; especially south of Double Springs Shelter all the way to Hampton.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2008, 18:22
no rain to speak of since then so it's a trickle or less. you DO NOT need a 4WD vehicle to stash water at McQueen's gap roadI remember it being a bit rough coming up from Shady Valley, did it get regraded?

ponyVet66
11-05-2008, 14:06
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the area had some rain since my visit a few weeks ago. The pipe at the Abingdon Gap shelter spring was a trickle at most. I don't know that we could get enough water for the 6 of us without having to spend a great deal of time there. Hopefully they can get some rain by next weekend. If not I may have to scrap the weekend. I guess the water drop idea might work. I need to give that some thought as well.

Kerosene
11-05-2008, 15:40
Or, you can just lug a lot of extra water to get you through the section!

I ended up lugging 4 liters from US-321 for 23 miles to Double Springs Shelter the Saturday before last, and used 3 of those liters over the course of a drizzly day. Of course, each liter weighs in at about 2 pounds!

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 16:05
Or, you can just lug a lot of extra water to get you through the section!

I ended up lugging 4 liters from US-321 for 23 miles to Double Springs Shelter the Saturday before last, and used 3 of those liters over the course of a drizzly day. Of course, each liter weighs in at about 2 pounds!

they're only going overnight. they should be able to carry all their water. it's only 14.8 easy miles

ponyVet66
11-08-2008, 23:13
Looks like some rain forecast for later in the week. Will a couple of showers over a few days improve the water source at Abiingdon Gap or does it really need to be a multiday soaker to generate noticable improvement?

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 00:30
We need heavy rains for a week and winter snow to help water levels. All we got recently was a light shower.

If you start early enough, you can actually hit Damascus in one day.

ponyVet66
11-09-2008, 22:23
Thanks. I know it's not a very long section but my friends and I are actually trying to make an overnight of it. Since we are not in a hurry we will probably pass some time sat evening preparing a nice backpack meal as well as something Sun morning. Between that and the water consumed on the trail prompts my curiousity about H20 availabilty. Prefer not to carry all the water necesary if I can avoid it...would rather replenish along the way. The forecast indicates possibly 3 days of showers but the probability is only about 30-40% each day.

bullseye
11-09-2008, 23:08
I agree with LoneWolf, easy section, low miles, you should be able to carry all you need.