PDA

View Full Version : Bartram vs BMac (in the smokies)

humunuku
11-04-2008, 19:36
So which would you do...I gots me 9 days to wonder around the woods, would you do the BMac (the smokies portion) or the Bartram Trail (pretty similar in lengths)?

Egads
11-04-2008, 19:39
I'd do the Bmac because it has more variety than the Bartram.

hperry
11-04-2008, 19:42
I'd do the Bmac because it has more variety than the Bartram.
while you may be right, the bartram is not all that bland. it comes from the lowlands of the chattooga river, follows it for a spell, turns west towards the real mts, then goes over GA's tallest mountain.

i think the main downfall of the bartram is that it has a significant amount of road sections north of Highlands NC, or maybe just one long one or something according to a description i read of it once. I have only hiked from its southern terminus to the GA/NC state line.

Ramble~On
11-04-2008, 20:40
I'd do the Smokies BMT - with 9 days and a nice look at the map you could come up with some might purty loops. :-?

bpitt
11-04-2008, 21:03
Either one, hard decision, just get out there.

The Solemates
11-05-2008, 10:29
benton mackaye, only because i havent done it and i have done the bartram :)

BookBurner
11-05-2008, 11:24
Hike the Bartram and avoid designated campsites!

hperry
11-05-2008, 12:00
bartram will probably be more exclusive, probably see less folk. did i mention the chattoga is beutiful and you will be walking down a national wild and scenic river protected corridor? :)

Mr. Parkay
11-07-2008, 12:25
I would also recommend the BMT through the smokies. The Bartram is also a good trail, but it's main detraction is the 14 mile road walk through Franklin.

Cuffs
11-07-2008, 12:30
BMac gets my vote. I did 20 mile to smokemont, never had to stay at a reserved site, made each camp on time, rarely saw other folks. Water is good at most sites, except when you head over Mt Sterling...

MOWGLI
11-07-2008, 12:43
Another vote for the BMT. But you won't go wrong with either option.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2008, 12:47
I'd do the Bartram as it's free without the regulations of the Smokies. You can take a dog, you can camp wherever you feel like it, you don't need to register with the Tent Nannys, etc etc.

MOWGLI
11-07-2008, 12:56
I'd do the Bartram as it's free without the regulations of the Smokies. You can take a dog, you can camp wherever you feel like it, you don't need to register with the Tent Nannys, etc etc.

Walter, your point about the dog is accurate, however, tenting is required on the BMT in the Smokies. There is only 1 shelter in about 100 miles. You do have to stay at designated campsites however.

SO yes.. there is more freedom on the Bartram, but the BMT in the Smokies is less restrictive than the AT through the park.

Hammock Hanger
11-07-2008, 18:14
I've done both trails... I like the BMT better, don't know about dog issues. (There is a 14 mile road walk on the Bartram.)

If it wasn't for an upcoming surgery in 6 days I would have hiked the BMT/Smokies this week.

Sue/HH