PDA

View Full Version : Town conduct

Former Admin
10-17-2002, 18:51
Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, regarding, our responsibility to act appropriately in trail towns.

jensine
10-18-2002, 11:39
Town conduct should be viewed as the same conduct in a hostel,
campground or any other service provider. For some reason there are always a handful. and not only hikers but other "vacationers" who are of the mind set that they've never been here before and have no intentions of visiting again so they can do whatever the hell they please. I think the best guide line when visiting anywhere, is to treat people the way you want to be treated. Treat the presmises the way you would want your premises treated. Basically behave as if you were in your own home and your own community. Unfortunately in today's society there is one major rule of conduct that is sorely missing....RESPECT.

Jensine
www.dnet.net/rainbowspirngs

chris
10-18-2002, 14:54
My town conduct is the same as my trail conduct, which is the same as my everyday, normal conduct: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.

Kerosene
10-20-2002, 21:02
I ascribe to Chris' philosophy to "do unto others...". I really don't view manners and behaviors pertaining to trail life as any different than normal life. Okay, I do admit to wiping my nose on my sleeve a little more often and eating a little faster than usual, but I try to keep it civil. It's really not hard to do if you just practice it all the time. I don't let my daughter be impolite or uncouth in any setting, so what would give me the right to do so?

Uncle Wayne
10-21-2002, 02:32
Chris and Kerosene have it right and that's what I try to do. "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you." When I was 11 years old my scoutmaster taught me the Scout Law and I have always tried to live up to the ideals it teaches. I have failed miserably more times than I like to admit but the values are worthy to strive to attain, whether on the AT or in everyday life. The Scout Law states: A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent. The one I really have trouble with on the trail is the "Clean" one. I guess the "Obedient" one comes into play if you hike with your wife, as I do.:p