PDA

View Full Version : Best time to start?

Stir Fry
11-05-2008, 19:08
To avoid the crowds is it better to start weekdays or weekends, for a mid March start.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 19:17
weekdays

bigboots
11-05-2008, 19:19
I just read a post discussing this exact question, can't seem to find it...

Blissful
11-05-2008, 20:06
Any time really as it will be crowded anyway from mid march to early April.

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2008, 18:22
Wolf and Blissful are correct, any day in March, especially mid-March is gonna be crowded, but the vast majority of folks get dropped off at Springer by family members, girlfriends, best friends, etc. And this usually happens on Saturdays and Sundays. So Wolf is right. Mid week will be a bit quieter. Also, avoid 20 and 21 March whether it's a weekend or not as a lot of folks like to start on the first day(s) of Spring.

Serial 07
11-06-2008, 18:25
start st. patty's day and bring a little jameson! took me a couple days before i met someone who wanted to share a swig with me though...oh well...more for me!

stranger
11-14-2008, 01:01
I would expect to have heaps of hikers around regardless of whether or not you start mid-week or not. I left on 9 April this year, thinking it would be less crowded, it wasn't. Mid march would most likely be much worse in terms of numbers.

I figured I would be going a bit quicker than most, which was true, but I would just end up catching up with other hikers ahead of me. When I got to Neels Gap on my second day the hostel was full, it had been full the night before as well. In Hiawassee Cloud 9 was packed, there were about 6-7 hikers at the Hiawassee Inn, and a few at the Blueberry Patch.

In Franklin, Haven's was full two night in a row...etc...

You won't be able to avoid the crowds, well atleast not in town, if you camp you should be fine - the shelters are a nightmare in my opinion.

superman
11-14-2008, 10:39
An issue that comes to my mind that people don't think too much about...apparently. The AT is a busy hiking path. Just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean they won't be coming along at the most inopportune time. I got to Springer 2 April and started hiking on the third. In the early part of the hike I kept walking up on people going to the bathroom. I guess they were afraid to leave the trail because they did their business right on it or right next to it.
I saw a woman standing up ahead of me on the trail. She didn't say anything so I kept hiking when I got right up to her I could see her girl friend squatting just off the trail. If the woman had said anything I'd of stopped before I'd gotten there. I made note to not use that woman as a lookout when I rob a bank. I’m talking about people doing one and two on or next to the trail. Either we got spread out enough as we hiked on or those people went home.
My guess is that about everyplace that is a common area has been christened by someone. I won't even mention the shelter areas.

Jeff
11-14-2008, 11:19
So many hikers cannot wait to start!! But, late April is a wonderful time of year to hike and camp in GA, TN and NC. It will also allow you to hike in Maine late September when it is most beautiful.

It is nearly impossible to beat the heat of the mid-Atlantic states, so starting in late April gives you a beginning and an end that are the best the AT has to offer.

yappy
11-14-2008, 11:36
At this point SOBO is the way to go !..yikes..

Jorel
11-14-2008, 11:51
I hope this is on topic, I just learned my start will not be until April 1st. Will there still be a good crowd starting around this time? Is it buggy in GA in April, as that may impact which tent I start with. Thanks. If off topic, my apologies.

yappy
11-14-2008, 11:53
Crowded ? ha ! it will most likely be NUTS on the first ! I don't remember ga being buggy in April though... weather can be superb.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2008, 11:53
I hope this is on topic, I just learned my start will not be until April 1st. Will there still be a good crowd starting around this time? Is it buggy in GA in April, as that may impact which tent I start with. Thanks. If off topic, my apologies.

tons of folks starting then. no bugs to speak of

superman
11-14-2008, 11:54

LOL,Seems on topic to me but I'm not good at that. There's still plenty of people starting and it would be ok to tarp if you want to.

stranger
11-24-2008, 02:04
Leaving 1 April... hope you like people

DavidNH
11-24-2008, 09:58
In one sense it doesn't matter. There will always be crowds. In Georgia, no one has dropped out and you really get a chance to see what way too many hikers l ooks like.

Based on what I have heard though, avoid early April like the plague as that is a very popular starting time.

Remember, the later you start the less time you get for the hike and the earlier you start the more likely you are to have snow and or ice.

I think a good compromise is mid March. Weather by then getting better. Proably also better to start mid week. At least you won't have weekend hikers to contend with.

DavidNH

Bare Bear
11-24-2008, 12:54
Once you get past Neels Gap it thins out pretty fast. By Fontana 25% have gotten off the Trail and the hiker spread out is obvious. If you hike in a 'family, hiker group' then it is fun but you get full shelter/camps. You can almost always just hike on a mile each night for peace and quiet. A tent becomes your home and you can relax in it.