PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the Big "O" Hike?

wahoo
11-05-2008, 23:18
Anybody here gonna be hiking the Big O this year? I'll be heading down for the first day or two, but have to head back home after that.

BumpJumper
11-06-2008, 01:10
I dont know but isnt that kinda like the NASCAR races? Everyone going in a big circle?:D

wahoo
11-06-2008, 08:22
Good observation! Yea, I think so. Vrooom!
I suppose it's just an another excuse to go hiking and hang out...!

Hammock Hanger
11-06-2008, 09:16
It is a fun hike, usually a really good group of people. Be prepared to eat, cause hiking in the morning is second to "where we gonna eat tonight!!" -- I've hiked it numerous times but will not be going down there this year.

Have fun. If you run into Bear Bag Hanger/Paul Guyon -or- LWOP/Bob Coveney, please tell them I said hello.

Sue/HH

jnetx
11-06-2008, 09:22
Anybody here gonna be hiking the Big O this year? I'll be heading down for the first day or two, but have to head back home after that.

Not this year. I did it a couple of years ago when I was sectionning the trail. Hiking the dike is not particularly typical of what I expected my FL Trail hike to be, so it made sense to do it with the group during the annual event.

It was OK, and did achieve the purpose of getting me round the lake, but the group style and my hiking style didn't really gel. The major difference being that they set off before dark and hike fast with the goal of getting back to camp to hang out for the afternoon. I prefer to hike in the daylight and take the time to look out for what wildlife there is out there. There's not much, but I did see a couple of wild hogs, and a family of otters.

Have fun.

jnetx
11-06-2008, 09:24
they set off before dark

oops. what I really meant was "in the dark before dawn":eek:

wahoo
11-07-2008, 11:00
Thanks for the information. I'll probably only stay a couple of days, just want to check out the scene and get an idea of what's going on. I'm not much of a social hiker either, choosing to hike most of the day and camp alone.
I think it will be a cool time though.

Hammock Hanger
11-07-2008, 18:18
Don't go into it as a HIKE. Go just thinking that you will be getting in some 'walking" and socializing with other hikers. IT IS NO WILDERNESS - SOLIITUDE TYPE OF HIKING.

However, it is an enjoyable event and there were years where I saw a hell of a lot of wildlife. Strange place but, fox, bobcat, gators, manatees, birds, etc...

Sue/HH

floridahikes
11-08-2008, 23:12
It's only about the wilderness if you get out and hike on your own. I did a mixed hike last year. Every other day, I hiked with the group. On my own, I set off for early morn photography expeditions at my own pace on the off days, and took some of my best shots ever of the lake, the marshes, bird life, sunrises ... you name it.

I'm headed down again. Most of the regulars are good friends now after six years of hanging out (and two full unbroken circuits around the lake plus another in bits and pieces). I'm updating the Official Guide and a travel guide to the same region, so will likely do the on day / off day thing again so I can get my guidebook research in and still be a part of the hike.

See you there!
Navigator

wahoo
11-09-2008, 00:30
I've hiked some at the lake, but never the whole thing or as part of the Big "O" event. I'm glad I can at least go down and check it out this year - but nine days, dang! I'm just not in a position to put in that kind of time for it.
Any ideas on how many people start, and how many stick around for the entire hike?

Hammock Hanger
11-09-2008, 09:11
Start day sometimes can have over 100. Then most return home to work etc. That leaves around 20ish to walk the whole 9 days. As navigator said, some will walk everyday, others will walk some days and sit out others. -- Then a lot of the hikers will have family members meet them for Thanksgiving dinner in Clewiston. The crowd picks back up on the weekend for the finally.

Egads
11-09-2008, 09:16
Maybe my mind is in the gutter, but I'd love to go on a "Big O" hike:eek:

floridahikes
11-09-2008, 14:08
All depends whom you're tenting with, my dear ... but quarters are pretty cramped. We get cheap tent sites in exchange for crowding together.

Wahoo, I think there's been a max of about 37 who completed the whole hike, as many as 200 who started, and last year's shuttle crowd halfway into the week took 7-8 vehicles holding 5-10 people. It's picked up every year. Some folks tag along with their spouses and serve as shuttle drivers. Others just show up to enjoy the portable party (can't miss the poolside tiki bar at the KOA!) and help with shuttles. So the campground crowd always exceeds the hiking crowd. It isn't too hard, by sprinting ahead or dropping back, to walk by yourself and enjoy the scenery. And yes, the lake is beautiful from 35 feet up.

Cheers, Navigator