PDA

View Full Version : photo website recommendations

thejackal
11-05-2008, 23:19
anyone? i think that the $20/year flickr subscription would allow you to upload unlimited photos while hiking. and then you can download them (at the same quality) and do whatever you'd like with them afterward, correct?

does anyone use flickr or another service that they'd recommend. i'd definitely want my photos private.

i'm new to this so any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Tin Man
11-05-2008, 23:29
try this, it's free

http://picasaweb.google.com

Tennessee Viking
11-06-2008, 01:08
There is certainly WhiteBlaze. But you have the WB logo at the bottom.

Google Picasa because you can have you desktop library and your online gallery. And the online gallery is continuing to add more space. Plus you can map your pictures, and even get the chance to see your pics on Google Earth and Maps

bigboots
11-07-2008, 20:00
I think I am going to use Picasa to download and hold my pictures as a backup. I have 2 memory cards that hold 100s of picts. I am planning on mailing them home when they become full, and just keep switching them out as needed. I will at least have the pictures even if the card gets lost in the mail.

Skidsteer
11-07-2008, 20:41
anyone? i think that the $20/year flickr subscription would allow you to upload unlimited photos while hiking. and then you can download them (at the same quality) and do whatever you'd like with them afterward, correct?

does anyone use flickr or another service that they'd recommend. i'd definitely want my photos private.

i'm new to this so any recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

I'm happy with photobucket.

Tin Man
11-07-2008, 20:49
I think I am going to use Picasa to download and hold my pictures as a backup. I have 2 memory cards that hold 100s of picts. I am planning on mailing them home when they become full, and just keep switching them out as needed. I will at least have the pictures even if the card gets lost in the mail.

always have a backup plan

trouthunter
11-07-2008, 21:47
I second Picasa, the map feature that lets visitors see where your pics were taken tips the scale for me.

KG4FAM
11-07-2008, 21:49
I will throw in another vote for Picasa.

MisterSweetie
11-08-2008, 00:02
I use and love picasa, but I'd like to point out that some of the features mentioned above either aren't native to Picasa, or aren't free.

Picasa, you get 1gb of storage space. You can purchase (actually "rent") 10GB of storage for $20/year. Gmail IS adding more space continually, picasa is not (in the "free" sense).

Also, as far as location tagging with Picasa; yes. But not really. If your camera does it, then Picasa will probably pick it up and put it on a map. But chances are your camera doesn't do it. You can enter the location for the picture (or an album) manually, but that gets old fast, and in the sense it was referenced above isn't quite so... you have to pick the spot out of a google map (drag and drop) and so at best you get a general idea (not in the "good enough" sense, but in the "does me no good" sense).

I'm not being disagreeable (my wife would dispute that), I just want to point that out about Picasa.

And again, having said that, I love Picasa, and use it on all my computers. It's great for organizing and storing (local and web) and editing.

I didn't proof read this so don't tear me apart..

Tin Man
11-08-2008, 00:08
actually, good points about picassa. one option would be to have someone at home download the pics from picassa and clear the space.

bobbyw
11-08-2008, 17:25
I use a free web host. That way my photos are saved in untouched, exactly like i took them form. picasa and google both resize, redo-whatever-they-want to your photos. sites like 000webhost.com gives you a totally free web server you can host with 1500mb of space, so if you run over 1.5 gigs, just start a new "site" and ftp things up. you don't need an ftp client because built into Windows/OSX/Linux you can just type ftp:\\username:[email protected] and it'll log you in and let you upload photos.

also, gmail accounts have 7+ gigs of space, just e-mail yourself all your photos wherever you are.

MisterSweetie
11-09-2008, 19:18
gmail accounts have 7+ gigs of space, just e-mail yourself all your photos wherever you are.
That's not a bad solution, actually.

However, this all is depending on finding a place on the trail where pictures can be downloaded to a computer from the memory card, and uploaded to webspace (gmail or otherwise). I suppose that's a discussion for another thread...

Anyway, gmail might be the BEST solution because it wouldn't require any software to be loaded onto the host's computer. Doesn't even require an FTP program like if you used your own webhost.

And like bob said, you get 7+ (and growing) GB of space... (almost irrelevant since uploading that much over the course of the trail would take a lot of time...

Just sort of thinking through this... For all the trouble this would turn out to be, I'd look into getting some kind of portable hard drive to throw in your bounce box, and just dump all your pictures to the drive when you were in town. I won't say that'd be the easiest, but it probably would be the most self-reliant...

((Soon, I feel like someone will make a usb-based card reader that can plug into the iPhone... when that happens, you'll be able to just dump the pictures to the iphone (which has 16gb of storage now)...)) [and there are already ways to do this with older ipods, I think]

Sorry for rambling. This is something I've thought a fair amount about off and on.

Tin Man
11-09-2008, 19:58
Mister,

Not a ramble - you raised some great points. The few hostel/hotel kiosk pc's I have seen are woefully underpowered to do much downloading/uploading with. Granted, as a section hiker, my experience is limited in this regard, but I would suspect you can't count on an adequate PC when you need it the most - when your card is full.

The hard drive in a bounce box might work, not a PC usb thing, but maybe something like this...

http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0865
http://www.meritline.com/usb2-0-digi-mate3.html

Backup your photos on this, send SD card home, bounce the drive up the trail, plug in new SD card.

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 20:04
Mister,

Not a ramble - you raised some great points. The few hostel/hotel kiosk pc's I have seen are woefully underpowered to do much downloading/uploading with. Granted, as a section hiker, my experience is limited in this regard, but I would suspect you can't count on an adequate PC when you need it the most - when your card is full.And with that being said, don't be the jerk that hogs the computer trying to upload all your pictures. If you have a few pictures that you really want folks out there to see, email them with your cell phone (since pretty much everybody has one these days anyway), it will be much faster.

Whistler
11-09-2008, 20:18
I highly, highly recommend Flickr. Very easy to use and there's a friendly, active community to share with.

-Mark