PDA

View Full Version : Why does the TEHCC not provide privies?

Pony
11-05-2008, 23:58
Not that I am opposed to pooping in a cathole, I am just curious as to why they do not have privies.

Tennessee Viking
11-06-2008, 01:04
One reason why the TEHCC section doesn't have privies is we didn't build most of the shelters. Most of the shelters in our section were built by USFS in 60-80s which at the time didn't do a lot of privy building. And shelters in the area that did have privies at one time where filled in shortly because of locals & partiers who abuse the shelters and fill the privies up with trash.

If you come to Hardcore we can surely put you on our privy building crew...lol Nahh...But I think we are remodeling Cherry Gap though if Bob gets his way.

Nest
11-06-2008, 05:04
One reason why the TEHCC section doesn't have privies is we didn't build most of the shelters. Most of the shelters in our section were built by USFS in 60-80s which at the time didn't do a lot of privy building. And shelters in the area that did have privies at one time where filled in shortly because of locals & partiers who abuse the shelters and fill the privies up with trash.

If you come to Hardcore we can surely put you on our privy building crew...lol Nahh...But I think we are remodeling Cherry Gap though if Bob gets his way.

Is it also partly because of the maintenance required with privies? Because I think your area has one privy that's near a road. Since it's near a road you built a privy because it would be easier to get to and maintain. I think I remember hearing someone in your club saying that.

Now, just to make it clear, I agree with that reasoning, so I'm not saying yall don't want to do any work. I spent a good amount of time talking to some shelter builders in MD, and they were telling me how the privies are the biggest use of money and resources. Plus it's hard to find people that want to shovel around crap to keep them operating. So instead of having that manpower and financial burdon, just let us dig holes.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2008, 08:45
Not that I am opposed to pooping in a cathole, I am just curious as to why they do not have privies.

the same reason they don't do any shelter repairs

Tennessee Viking
11-06-2008, 16:52
We do shelter repairs, its just that most of our maintainers are retirees so we take our time lol. Or we love wait for Hardcore/Konnarock to share the fun. Bob wants to do a big remodel Cherry Gap sometime next year.

The gravel on the Roan Highlands is one of our biggest expenses. And we are planning to redo Round Bald again soon.

My club built the barn privy before I joined up. I was lucky to miss that one. But it is easy to maintain because of the road, but is also a lot of work because of the road. One reason for one at the barn is the sheer number of hikers that visit it. I believe the NC plate funds helped a lot to pay for it.

My favorite oen out of all of the ones I visited is Flint Mtn Shelter.

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2008, 18:05
Um, they have some privies. I know this to be a fact as I was privileged to spend a day with Bob Peoples and his friends digging a new pit at Overmountain a few years ago.

And they also do plenty of repairs on the shelters in their section.

If Wolf or anyone has any questions about this, they should contact the local club. Of course, if they're lucky enough to live in the area, as Wolf does, they can also volunteer their time and energy as well, and join the maintenance crews, instead of saying false and unkind things on the Internet, but maybe it's easier to tap at a keyboard and complain about things than it is to join a work crew and pick up a hammer. :rolleyes:

KG4FAM
11-06-2008, 19:21
Um, they have some privies. I know this to be a fact as I was privileged to spend a day with Bob Peoples and his friends digging a new pit at Overmountain a few years ago.Mountaineer Falls and Overmountain. What others are there?

pyroman53
11-06-2008, 22:06
[quote=Jack Tarlin;

If Wolf or anyone has any questions about this, they should contact the local club. Of course, if they're lucky enough to live in the area, as Wolf does, they can also volunteer their time and energy as well, and join the maintenance crews, instead of saying false and unkind things on the Internet, but maybe it's easier to tap at a keyboard and complain about things than it is to join a work crew and pick up a hammer. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Wow Jack, what happened to the kinder, gentler WB?

Kirby
11-06-2008, 22:27
They have privies at the two nicest shelters in their section, makes perfect sense.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2008, 00:04
Pyroman:

Most of the maintainers in the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club are well past retirement age. Some of them are in their eighties and they go out anyway.

For people to complain about the level of Trail maintenance that these guys provide, or to imply that they're neglectful in any way, either as far as privies or shelter repair or anything else.....well, this is unkind, untrue, and just wrong.

People that don't like the way that section is maintained can get off their duffs and go do some Trail work, period. You're part of the solution or you're part of the problem.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 00:33
If Wolf or anyone has any questions about this, they should contact the local club. Of course, if they're lucky enough to live in the area, as Wolf does, they can also volunteer their time and energy as well, and join the maintenance crews, instead of saying false and unkind things on the Internet, but maybe it's easier to tap at a keyboard and complain about things than it is to join a work crew and pick up a hammer. :rolleyes:

i've asked to volunteer. was told "we'll get back to you". the"club" doesn't do much of anything maintainance-wise north of watauga lake. very clickky, these clubs.

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2008, 00:39
Funny. I've volunteered and done work with the club more times than I can remember, and was never turned down.

Suggestion:

Talk to Bob Peoples. He'd be delighted to have you aboard any time he goes out, which is very often on Tuesdays. And if you wanted to do some stuff on your own north of Watauga and closer to Damascus, I bet he'd have some good suggestions for you.

But talk to Bob. As you well know, he ain't "clikky."

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 00:40
they don't go north of hampton. it's obvious

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2008, 00:46
Beats me how far they go.

But if you think that's the case, then join the club and tell them you're interested in working on that section.

I'm sure they'd be happy to have the help.

Hikerhead
11-07-2008, 01:02
They/somebody is relocating the trail now 1/2 mile before it drops into Damascus on the switchbacks. It'd be nice too if the last sign before Damascus had a proper Welcome to Va sign bolted to the 4 x 4 post instead of it written on the post in magic marker.

Pony
11-07-2008, 11:40
Just to be clear, I asked just to satisfy my curiosity, and not to question the level of maintenance to privies, shelters or trail in this section. While hiking through this section last spring the topic was brought up several times by people that I met, and nobody seemed to have an answer that I believed to be factual. While staying at Kincora, I was talking with Bob Peoples and I asked him. He said " we just don't have them" and didn't seem interested in talking about it, so I let it go at that. My hope was that by asking on WB (you know, a community of Appalachian Trail enthusiusts) perhaps somebody with the TEHCC whould be able to provide some insight. Thank you Buliwyf.

BTW I think the TEHCC does a great job on their section, better than most sections I hiked through in fact.

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2008, 11:46
Privies suck. Stinky and nasty. A better question about privies would be: Why do some hikers find it funny to wipe their feces on privy walls/door?

Cabin Fever
11-07-2008, 13:23

Amen brother.

Cabin Fever
11-07-2008, 13:33
LW,

If you want to join us for trail maintenance, it's exceptionally difficult to go on our website, look at the schedule (http://tehcc.org/schedule.htm), contact Carl and show up. For example, we are working at Cherry Gap on Nov. 15th. Come on out.

Everyone else,

If you have never done trail maintenance, you don't have a skin in this game. Last year, the TEHCC put in over 11,000 hours for their approximate 130 miles. That would be 84.6 hrs/mile. I guarantee some of us spent 84 hrs on this website last year. Trail maintainers are volunteers. Volunteers should never be criticized for their work. They do the best that they can do with the available resources.

Buliwyf is completly accurate about privies.

Cabin Fever
11-07-2008, 13:35
They/somebody is relocating the trail now 1/2 mile before it drops into Damascus on the switchbacks. It'd be nice too if the last sign before Damascus had a proper Welcome to Va sign bolted to the 4 x 4 post instead of it written on the post in magic marker.

Understood on a welcome to VA sign.

I am curious why people think they need to write on everything - signs and shelters. That is what I would consider hiker trash.

TwistedToad
11-07-2008, 13:43

I am curious why people think they need to write on everything - signs and shelters. That is what I would consider hiker trash.

ditto!

ki0eh
11-07-2008, 15:30

Don't forget welcome to TN. ;)

Thanks for all the work you do. I saw the switchback project in progress a few weeks ago and you've got yourselves a little project there.

Coming from PA (where I'm a maintainer for SATC), though, I must say your rock sharpening is just not up to snuff. ;):D

Bigglesworth
11-26-2008, 23:36
So, anyone want to help me build a privy this spring - 2009?

weary
11-27-2008, 00:41
Privies suck. Stinky and nasty. A better question about privies would be: Why do some hikers find it funny to wipe their feces on privy walls/door?
Well, they aren't your usual yuppie toilet, that's for sure. But a privy is needed at every designated campground or shelter. Maine has done it. Other clubs need to just suck it up and do it -- and keep them maintained.

I was disgusted in the south by the lack of privies, and by the lack of sanitary hiker practices when privies aren't available. Quite frankly hiker behavior in the absence of privies is a major public health and environmental pollution problem.

John: I don't have a clue as to why some hikers, "wipe their feces on privy walls/door." Do you?

But with all their smells and nastiness, privies are better than hundreds of piles of poop and toilet paper left on the ground around shelters in the south that lack them.

Weary

Mocs123
11-27-2008, 00:43
While I will say that there are some very crappy USFS shelters in that section, it was very well maintained and the Club has done several MAJOR reroutes lately as well as built the VERY VERY nice Mountaineer Falls Shelter. I think they have done as much work on the trail as any club if not more.

Tennessee Viking
11-27-2008, 03:35
At my retail work place, my bosses always tell angry customers, "if you want to change policy, just make your voice heard," while handing them a corportate customer service card.

So if you want privies, call up the ye ole ATC, and make your comments heard.

To me privies might give the sense of easiness of bathroom use, but they do attract trash and more maintenance problems. Then again I do not want my behind frozen to a privy seat when its below freezing.

Pedaling Fool
11-27-2008, 09:36
Well, they aren't your usual yuppie toilet, that's for sure. But a privy is needed at every designated campground or shelter. Maine has done it. Other clubs need to just suck it up and do it -- and keep them maintained.

I was disgusted in the south by the lack of privies, and by the lack of sanitary hiker practices when privies aren't available. Quite frankly hiker behavior in the absence of privies is a major public health and environmental pollution problem.

John: I don't have a clue as to why some hikers, "wipe their feces on privy walls/door." Do you?

But with all their smells and nastiness, privies are better than hundreds of piles of poop and toilet paper left on the ground around shelters in the south that lack them.

Weary
Weary: I also don't know why some find it funny to wipe their feces on the interior portions of privies.

As for the designated "toilet" areas, such as found in parts down south, I don't use them for the reasons you mentioned. It's very easy to find unused ground (far away from the shelter area), let the fecal matter wiping scum use the "toilet" areas.

Lilred
11-27-2008, 09:53
I was always told that there were no privies in TN because the locals didn't want hikers to have nicer outhouses than they do.......

dmax
11-27-2008, 10:35
What's an outhouse? We always use our front or back yard.

Rasputen
11-27-2008, 10:41
I was always told that there were no privies in TN because the locals didn't want hikers to have nicer outhouses than they do.......

:D You get a free pass on that remark. Seeing how your from whitehouse. Grew up in a 100+ year old colonial house with an outhouse. Half moon on the door, double seater and cold as H.E. double LL in the winter...........

Doctari
11-27-2008, 10:59
Mountaineer Falls and Overmountain. What others are there?

There is a privy at Mountaneer Falls??? :eek:

It must be new (since early June 08) or VERY well hidden! Either that or I'm blind in one eye & can't see out of the other.

Nest
11-27-2008, 20:56

My hiking buddy for the last half was a dirty yankee, so we always gave each other crap. He said that there were privies at every shelter, but the locals stole them because they could sell their house for more if it had a half bath.