PDA

View Full Version : Shelters

Devon
11-06-2008, 05:26
Are people planning on using shelters or tenting/hammocking it?

I like the sound of shelters from a social point of view, but don't like the sound of sleeping somewhere that's dirty and full of mice.

Am also a little confused about camping. Do most people tent near a shelter or just stop wherever they want?

How far off the trail should you set up your camp?

What is 'stealth camping'?

I know I can try both camping and using the shelters once I'm on the trail, but I'd be interested in people's opinions before setting off.

Nest
11-06-2008, 05:43
Are people planning on using shelters or tenting/hammocking it?

I like the sound of shelters from a social point of view, but don't like the sound of sleeping somewhere that's dirty and full of mice.

Am also a little confused about camping. Do most people tent near a shelter or just stop wherever they want?

How far off the trail should you set up your camp?

What is 'stealth camping'?

I know I can try both camping and using the shelters once I'm on the trail, but I'd be interested in people's opinions before setting off.

Make sure you bring your own tent/tarp/hammock. Shelters could be full and then your screwed if it's raining. Shelters are usually pretty dirty, mice infested, sometimes crowded, and sometimes noisy with snoring. They are nice though if you don't want to set up your tent for some reason that night. I was occasionally lazy and just slept in a shelter.

Camp where ever you want really. Some areas have rules, like 50 feet from the trail and water source. There's a bunch of random campsites along the entire trail. It's real easy to either camp near the shelter or hike until you find a spot to set up camp along the trail. A lot of people stay near shelters because of the social scene, privy, and water source. Plus there are usually a few really nice campsites near them.

Stealth camping is camping where people can't see you. Usually camping where you aren't supposed to be, but some also consider it just camping off in the woods out of sight from anyone. Pretty much, except for a few places you are free to camp just about anywhere.

If you decide to try to stick to shelters to save weight by not carrying one, I would atleast carry a silnylon tarp. They only weigh 7-10 oz and if a shelter is full and the weather is bad it may be your only hope. Don't expect people to move over to make room for you, although we usually do.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2008, 08:52
Make sure you bring your own tent/tarp/hammock. Shelters could be full and then your screwed if it's raining. Shelters are usually pretty dirty, mice infested, sometimes crowded, and sometimes noisy with snoring. They are nice though if you don't want to set up your tent for some reason that night. I was occasionally lazy and just slept in a shelter.

Camp where ever you want really. Some areas have rules, like 50 feet from the trail and water source. There's a bunch of random campsites along the entire trail. It's real easy to either camp near the shelter or hike until you find a spot to set up camp along the trail. A lot of people stay near shelters because of the social scene, privy, and water source. Plus there are usually a few really nice campsites near them.

Stealth camping is camping where people can't see you. Usually camping where you aren't supposed to be, but some also consider it just camping off in the woods out of sight from anyone. Pretty much, except for a few places you are free to camp just about anywhere.

If you decide to try to stick to shelters to save weight by not carrying one, I would atleast carry a silnylon tarp. They only weigh 7-10 oz and if a shelter is full and the weather is bad it may be your only hope. Don't expect people to move over to make room for you, although we usually do.

that's pretty much the scoop

mtnkngxt
11-06-2008, 08:56
Shelters are cool places to eat socialize and make friends. As far as sleeping in them, I'm not friends with the little rodents that call them home. I like my tent and hammock and the cold hard ground much better.

rafe
11-06-2008, 09:44
It's not something I decide months in advance. With regard to staying at a shelter (or not) -- that decision is generally made within a few seconds of arriving. If I don't stay in the shelter, chances are I'll tent nearby, or (worst case) in the woods, a few minutes up the trail.

peakbagger
11-06-2008, 17:42
With regards to the prior comment about the "cold hard ground" I think its the opposite, the cold hard platform in the shelter. Unless you are on a hardened gravel pad, the ground is usually softer than a shelter floor and I find that the ground is typically warmer as the shelter floor is usually elevated and cold air circulates below making it colder. If you stealth camp, the soft ground is even more pronounced. Of course if the ground is frozen, a solid pad works better than a thermarest.

phillycheze
11-06-2008, 20:11
who wants to trap mice at the shelters? LOL but seriously, anyone?

they even make battery powered noise thingys that keep rodents and stuff at bay but humans and i think even dogs can't hear them...

bigboots
11-07-2008, 19:55
they even make battery powered noise thingys that keep rodents and stuff at bay but humans and i think even dogs can't hear them...

I'm up for that if you carry it.

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:44
Shelters are what they are, noisy, varmit ridden, dirty, and even at hostels, some SOB always seem to come in at midnight and cook, bang around, talk, etc. A tent gives you that 'home' feeling and I always sleep better in my tent. I also spent a lot of nights in shelters to dodge the rain though. A few were spent alone in shelters, not so bad.

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:45
I would add that shelters were almost always where Trail Magic beer showed up!

BarleyRain
11-25-2008, 22:56
Tenting's a nice option because it's cleaner, more private, and can get to feel like "home" unlike stopping at a different shelter every night and sharing it with people who are often strangers. It's also warmer than the shelters - drafts coming up from under the platforms are unpleasant on a chilly night. Another advantage of a tent/hammock is that you are not tied to the shelters and forced to do miles you may not want to do; sometimes we would find a beautiful spot at 2 pm, miles from the nearest shelter, and decide to stop early.

Shelters are nice for the social scene - if you're sharing with people you get along with. We also stayed in them sometimes if it was raining and we didn't want to deal with a wet tent the next day.

I'd definitely recommend bringing a tent or hammock. The flexibility it gives you is well worth it.

Panzer1
11-26-2008, 01:15
If you carry a tent then you might as well sleep in it, unless the weather is bad.

Panzer

Kirby
11-28-2008, 08:53
In GA, there are so many campsites, literally every ten feet. When you decide you want to stop, collect some water then walk until you find a nice spot, it won't be that hard.

Kirby

Bigglesworth
11-28-2008, 11:46
I often went to shelters but tented. That gave me the social time, but also let me have a little more privacy and comfort. Most shelters have spots you can tent/hammock.

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 13:08
...We also stayed in them sometimes if it was raining and we didn't want to deal with a wet tent the next day.

If you carry a tent then you might as well sleep in it, unless the weather is bad.

Amazing that we buy tents to protect us from the elements - but then will make camp in a shelter because we don't like to get it wet and have to break camp in the rain and/or pack a wet tent the next morning :-?

Not criticizing, I've done it too. Just seems kinda silly in hindsight. Why did I spend all those $$$ on quality tents if I was going to bail to a shelter if one was available whenever it rained? :confused:

Lyle
11-28-2008, 13:36
Not criticizing, I've done it too. Just seems kinda silly in hindsight. Why did I spend all those $$$ on quality tents if I was going to bail to a shelter if one was available whenever it rained? :confused:

I know what you mean, but the reason becomes very clear when there is no room for you in the shelter when you come in to camp late on a VERY rainy, cold evening. At that moment your nice comfy, quality shelter is completely forgiven for the extra weight you've been lugging around.

Doesn't need to be a tent, a good tarp can be heaven.

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 15:09
I know what you mean, but the reason becomes very clear when there is no room for you in the shelter when you come in to camp late on a VERY rainy, cold evening.

Mmmm, yeah, been there... didn't enjoy the weather, but I stayed dry in my tent.

I've recently replaced the 5 lb.+ bombproof tent with a 2 lb. 8'x10' tarp/bug net/groundcloth combo. Just couldn't justify carrying the tent as I don't do that much foul weather hiking anymore(I admit it, I'm a wuss). The tarp can zip closed to a teepee and is enough to survive a bad night out, and the bug net keeps the critters out either under the tarp or in a shelter. I tend to make camp earlier if the weather is really bad and there is a shelter available anyway. I'm just section hiking anyway, so there's no pressure to make miles or get anywhere in particular.

Bare Bear
11-30-2008, 17:58
Late on the AT you will spend quite a few nights alone at shelters and can use the tent in the shelter to avoid the bugs. The best of both worlds. At The Birches (August 21) everyone had their tent up in the shelters the bugs were so bad. The few that did not have tents were miserable.